It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So how long will PM Brown survive?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Just as an aside........ whenever I hear Gordon Brown's name (and I've heard it a lot recently), I can't help thinking that the title "Chef" should be in front of it.........

Back on topic. Well, since he and President Obama have teamed up to rid the world of the scourge of teensy little countries whose primary income is offshore banking, I think he'll survive as long as the President does. There's a lot of money to be made there.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

What!!!! Another unelected PM. O yes, we have one of those already.

Mandleson - a very long time since we have had a peer as prime minister. Would the country go along with a totally unaccountable PM?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

Not what I meant really - although current experience suggests that anything is possible because the politicians are soooo far out of touch with the rest of us.

What I actuallty meant was that he's (Mandleson) gone a considerable period of time without a major scandal attached to him. Thats not the Mandleson way, and sooner or later he will have had his finger in one pie or another that he shouldn't have been touching. When that happens again, the only person to blame will be Brown. And I would imagine its going to happen sooner or later because the Telegraph has suddenly rediscovered some balls for investigative journalism.

Its a ticking alarm clock, waiting to sound.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
So I guess the next big challenge for PM Brown will be the Labour Party conference in September.

And if there is a serious challenge who would be the storking horse candidate?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Is their a way to make him resign? Like can't Parliament vote him out of office? I do know for a fact that the reigning monarch can ask him to resign so what is Lizzie waiting for?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
Is their a way to make him resign? Like can't Parliament vote him out of office? I do know for a fact that the reigning monarch can ask him to resign so what is Lizzie waiting for?

I think "Lizzie" should keep her nose out of it. i'm sure the British people can decide for themselves. It could be worse, we could have David Cameron, in fact we will have soon.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

The Queen can dissolve parliament, on the advice of her advisors or the Government can not rule (because it does not have a "working" majority" in The House of Commons"

The Queen can not dismissed the Prime Minister as this is an elected position in the party with typically the most seats in The House of Commons and the British electoral do "NOT" vote for the Prime Minister but for someone to represent us in The House of Commons.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I just hope the git goes soon because im sick of seeing his mug all over the place when he should have gone months ago.

Does anybody else hate that expression he has when he pauses to breath?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
With the Norwich North by election going against Labour, (and no surprise there), the pressure must be mounting on Brown to go.

Will the party machine be able to keep a lid of the future of the PM at the conference in September? Or will someone in the parliamentary party find enough backers and stand?

My guess is that Brown will survive the conference but force of the party machine but we become a even more lame duck PM.

With The Chief of the Defence staff saying our military needs more equipment and the MOD going to court about compensation for wounded troops, people will continue to get the impression that we have a PM that does not care and knows that he will be out of office middle of next year at the latest.

There are few things less damaging to a country that a PM who knows they are on the way out but that the British people can do nothing until he calls a general election.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Brown is a lame duck PM.
He will not call an early election.
As a result this country will continue to drift along with no clear direction and no leadership whatsoever.

I think Brown has been unlucky in that global events have driven policy at times.
But he has dithered and proved himself very indecisive and shown no inspirational leadership qualities at all.

Unfortunately Labour has no viable alternative leader, Alan Johnson does not instill any confidence in me.

The likeliest scenario is that when Brown has no other option but to call an election he will be replaced by David Cameron.
And that prospect just fills me full of dread.
Never has such a wishy-washy, career driven politician been so close to power.

Where have the politicians of conviction gone?
Those with passion and pride.
The vast majority of the current crop of politicians are career driven and their only concerns appear to be personal advancement and gain.

Party politics as a whole has failed us and our parliamentary system is outdated.
We need radical overhaul of both electoral and government process and procedures.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizzylizzy
I doubt Brown will go. The country will not accept another unelected PM, an electon now would result in a massive defeat for Labour.

The one to watch out for is Mandleson the Prince of Darkness, Blair was his puppet now it is Brown.

The Prince of Darkness indeed, I was recently reading about his trip to Greece in June where he was attending the Bilderberg conference along with Ken Clarke and George Osbourne. We paid for Mandy's first night at the Luxury Greek resort, Bilderberg covered the rest.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
With the Labour Party conference set for later this month, will Brown still be the party leader in October or will we see the first PM not to sit in the House of Commons for many years?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
With the Labour party conference this week, it seems that our PM will be in office until the next general election.

Credit where credit is due, the Labour party machine seem to have done a great job of protecting the leader from an leadership challenge. Is is that many of the Labour MPs are in opposition mindset already?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Brown was a good chancellor of the exchequer, but a lame PM.

He was elected, elected as an MP, then promoted to a Minister, then elected by the party as PM. We have a Monarch, not a President. We (the electorate) do not vote for who should, or should not be PM, we vote for who we wish to represent us locally in Westminster, the party decide who shall be the PM. So for all his faults, he was indeed elected as PM.

The BNP has more than one policy in its manifesto. I feel they will have to evolve and adopt more mainstream policies before they will get my vote, but I don't dismiss them as a one trick pony.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
If you believe the MSM, some of the Labour big guns are starting to think that Gordon Brown will not win another term for Labour and are urging a leadership contest.

Why has it taken so long for them to brief journalists that they want a leadership contest. These are the people who are senior members of the cabinet and are deemed by the PM, capable of running Government departments, yet, it is only now that they start to speak about Gordon Brown not being the right person to lead them into the next election.

The best time would have been the recent party conference but that appeared to have been totally managed by the party to ensure that no challenge was made.

And is it really fair to expect someone to take charge of the country for just a few months, as any change in leadership of the Labour party, would give us another lame duck PM. I suppose if this does happen, then any defeat can be blamed on Gordon Brown and not the current party leader.

And, if we believe these reports, who would want to take leader of te Labour party?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join