It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So how long will PM Brown survive?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
With the scale of the losses for Labour in the country council eclections and the expected losses in the EU elections, just how long can Gordon Brown survive as PM and leader of the Labour party?

There appears to be some conflict in the media, with some saying the Brown will not be PM by the end of next week, while others are saying that the party will close ranks and rally around the leader.

I guess the acid test will be the added impact of the country and EU election losses for Labour. If these are as bad as people believe, will rank and file Labour MPs defile the whips and party machine and drop Gordon Brown?

And if Brown goes, who wants the job? Labour is currently facing a long stint out of Government?

[edit on 6-6-2009 by Freedom ERP]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Hi there,

I'm hoping the conservative's come to power, all the scandals at the moment are too much for me to take, though this is not saying it will be all perfect.

To be fair, Gordon Brown hasn't done too bad of a job especially considering the recession. But the Labour party has managed to destroy it's reputation with MPs who are lining their pockets with out tax £££!

As for a replacement, i think Brown should stick it out, the only realistic choice is Alan Johnson, who Brown thinks very highly of, but Brown has a lot of experience working with Blair, so i'm not too sure how to justify changing.

mark

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Hi, i believe Gordan Brown's position is untenable. I would be very surprised if, he has not resigned by the end of next week.

I think the only way for Labour to neuter, the Tories at this point is to introduce proportional representation.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mtok7
Hi, i believe Gordan Brown's position is untenable. I would be very surprised if, he has not resigned by the end of next week.

I think the only way for Labour to neuter, the Tories at this point is to introduce proportional representation.

There is no way that PR will come in.
Brown is finished for sure but there is no-one in the labour ranks that can take over and pull Labour out of the corrupt, incompetent, quagmire that they have created for themselves.
They will be relegated into political wilderness for a long, long time.
I just hope and pray that the next party to gain power will abolish much of the ludicrous red tape and pc brigade lunacy, along with ID card rubbish and Big Brother surveillance, that has frankly destroyed this country.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Probably not long...i doubt within a week though like some people are saying,but you can never be sure.And just to add,i dislike david cameron far more than gordon brown.And yes, i can say that with a straight face.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Probably not long...i doubt within a week though like some people are saying,but you can never be sure.And just to add,i dislike david cameron far more than gordon brown.And yes, i can say that with a straight face.

I also dislike Cameron, but I dislike Brown even more. I can't ever forgive the man for the devastation he has caused running the economy.
Plus all the dictatorial measures he has introduced.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
So how long will PM Brown survive?

Well if Canary Wharf is 774ft high would anyone like to figure out how long it would take before he hits the hard stuff?

edit: (13.86 seconds I keep coming up with.... I wonder what sound he will make? He will probably try to convince everyone he's not falling in the way it appears)

[edit on 6/6/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The death throes have been rattling on for so long now that its hard to predict.

Blair was - for all his faults - charismatic, and capable of coming across as a humble person when the need was there. He had a habit of pulling rabbits out of hats, and being damn good at soundbyte TV.

Gordon Brown has all the charisma of a toilet seat.

Labour is doomed with him, and to be frank, its doomed without him for the next 10 years, because none of the existing lot that are in the cabinet are capable of doing anything but looking on smarmily as the political world crumbles around them. Even Milliband is towing the party line at the moment in a very strange danse macabre of trying to be supportive to Brown while at the same time staying as far away from him as possible. He is the epitomy of a rat that doesn't quite want to beleive the ship is sinking, but has its eye on the shoreline.

What we are looking at here is - in my opinion - a parallel re-run of the Tory wilderness years. Labour are out of ideas, have very little public sympathy and don't have anyone with the "oomph" to gee them up in time for an election - and the ensuing back biting and in-fighting that will follow when they get voted out will tie them down for a while to come.

I can't see Brown making it to October any way you look at it. He'll either step down or call a snap election. He's history either way.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
One more scandal amongst the Labour MPs will see off Gordon Brown. Problem is, who are you going to replace him with? And do we really want the tories back in power? Remember what they did last time they were in power. . .
For the first time ever we are in the uncomfortable position of having absolutely no one worth voting for! Doesn't matter what political party they come from they are all corrupt and have been helping themselves to our money while keeping the ordinary working man and woman on low wages and benefits.
Its not the PM we should be changing it's the way this country does politics! Mps will have to become more accountable and when they don't keep their promises they should be kicked out.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I can't see Brown making it to October any way you look at it. He'll either step down or call a snap election. He's history either way.

I really think the country missed a step when there was all the talk of a snap election just after he took over from Tony, and then Brown characteristically wussed out...

Really who ever thought this guy was a good choice for PM? I would of done a better job, well not actually, but at least I would of been more interesting.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

There are more parties in the uk than the big three...you dont HAVE to vote for any of them just because they get more media attention.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

There are more parties in the uk than the big three...you dont HAVE to vote for any of them just because they get more media attention.

The only alternative is Ukip who I think will do well. As for the others! Please tell me you weren't one of those who voted for the BNP?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

lol no...i wouldn't vote for the BNP if someone had a gun pointed at my head,but i still think like i said in another post that they should get more airtime and not dismissed by the media so much.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
And this evening, the parliamentary Labour party have a meeting. Will the rebels feel comfortable enough to openly question The PM's leadership after the council and EU elections results?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'm disturbed immensley by seeing that pasty-faced facist splashed all over the news this morning the day after the 65th Anniversary of the biggest seaborne invasion in world history that was necessary to try and get rid of his idealogical compatriots.

Its like people have learned nothing.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I doubt Brown will go. The country will not accept another unelected PM, an electon now would result in a massive defeat for Labour.

The one to watch out for is Mandleson the Prince of Darkness, Blair was his puppet now it is Brown.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I hope Brown and the Labour party stay in power and no general election is called . It is not that I would vote this shower, but there are many things that need addressing and a weakened government trying to gain popularity will be more likely to do something about them , like the expenses.. like the iraq war inquiry .. if we spend all that outrage capital we have on getting a general election called , when conservatives get voted in they'll see it as capital well spent , that the change in the government was what we got for our buck , then go on to do little about any of it , as they are a new government in power wth a new mandate to govern and are not sorely put out to do anything too quickly with the elections 4 or 5 years away .

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
So it seems that PM brown has survived the weekly meeting of the PLP.

I wonder if the real reason that there was no serious challenge, is that no one wants the job as most of them realise Labour are going to get wiped out at the next general election, and do not want to seen as the leader at the helm when it goes wrong.

I guess we will have a lame duck PM until he is forced to call a general election Summer 2010

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

It'll crack before then. I'm convinced of it.

We're due a Mandleson soon.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I think Mr Brown will call an Election this Summer, rather than hand over the reins to Mr meddlesome Mandelson, that is, if he survives the mooted no coconfidence votes.

Just my two pennyworth,

Regards,

Horsegiver.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join