It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web Censorship Critics: Web images endanger national security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Web Censorship Critics: Web images endanger national security

edition.cnn.com

Critics fears that online aerial imagery of nuclear power plants and other sensitive sites could help terrorists plan attacks. So they've launched efforts to try to get Internet map services to remove or blur photos
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Mods move or delete if necessary.

I understand the need for security but censoring these images means that the "Terrorists" just need a digital camera and go walk about to get their images. What about street view is this as big an issue?

Wouldn't the government already have a plan for restricting this kind of threat or do they actually give a damn? I mean its a bit late to pull the images now, or do they want another attack?

Also there are other sites and companies trying their own type of street view and what may be blurred or removed does not mean that other countries will follow suit. I mean the USA is not the only country with satellites and some of those other countries are sympathetic to terrorists.

This will only serve to restrict the people who live in the USA (granted why would any normal person need to look at a nuclear, school building etc) and home grown terrorists (who don't seem to have enough brains to pull off a successful attack unless helped by the alphabet agencies). But it really wont help a lot.

Please leave your comments and discuss freely.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Once its on the web you can no longer take it back, end of story. You can shoot video, take screenshots, mirror entire sites, etc but once its out there you have no way of taking every copy of it it back. The fact that this has even been suggested means that somewhere an entertprising person or persons have found ways to scrape the data from these sites and create backups of it in its current semi-censored state.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Already posted here aerial pictures...... .

If some of you want to react to my post, please quote on the already started post not this one thx

top topics

join