It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peace index ranks New Zealand the safest country in the world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Peace index ranks New Zealand the safest country in the world

www.visionofhumanity.org

The index was collated by the Economist Intelligence Unit for a new thinktank called the Institute for Economics and Peace. It uses a weighted mix of 23 criteria, including foreign wars, internal conflicts, respect for human rights, the number of murders, the number of people in jail, the arms trade, and degrees of democracy.

This year's results found the economic downturn had made the world a little less peaceful. That, say the authors, "appears to reflect the intensification of violent conflict in some countries and the effects of both the rapidly rising food and fuel prices early in 20
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theage.com.au
www.abc.net.au
www.news.com.au
www.visionofhumanity.org

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I came across this article and think it's rather interesting. Not sure if I agree with all the rankings, but it seems like a lot of research was done before determining the list.

What do the rest of the ATS database think about this list?

Edit: On closer inspection, I have also noticed some data that does not seem correct. Everyone judge for themselves.

For the full list of rankings, please visit this web page:
Global Peace Index Rankings

(You may also view past annual rankings by clicking the appropriate year next to the one selected.)

[edit on 6/6/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
New Zealand must be snoozeville
. Breathtakingly beautiful but boring..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d97f0c149460.jpg[/atsimg]

and very funny.

[edit on 6/6/09 by Lebowski achiever]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
This is laughable to me. Apparently Cyprus is a safer country to live in than the United States...even though they have civil conflicts going on? Apparently Madagascar is safer too even though they just overthrew their government and are not really paying attention to their Constitution and their willingless to fight is higher than the United States'.

It seems too that they based the outcomes not on crime and things like that alone, but also on "gender equality" and the "number of women in parliament".

I think that their data is wrong for Hungary's "hostility to foreigners". I lived there for a year and Hungarians hate Gypsies and Romanians with a purple passion.

[edit on 6/6/2009 by octotom]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Ha. Double post...though I clicked the post button once.

[edit on 6/6/2009 by octotom]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Um I find that kind of hard to believe.

Even though we have a small population there is so much violence going on all the time. It isn't safe to walk down the street after 10pm on your own. A few weeks ago, my mate was walking home from a night out and was beaten up by some thugs for no reason. This wasn't even in town, just in the suburbs. Me and my friends have had our fair share of threats from creeps who hang around in the alleys.

After going to Vanuatu I can say that I felt a hundred times safer there. Even at night, walking the roads with no street lights was a pleasant experience.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
these lists are so unreliable.

don't agree with it at all, 99% bollocks. 1% water.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Lol I would have thought Singapore would be the most safest country in the world.

Anyway I think your title is misleading. The index is for most peaceful and not safest country. There's a difference.

Haha Singapore got 5 in the "willingness to fight" category. Iraq got 1 (least willing) and even USA only got 2. Afghanistan got 3... Hah yeah we're an antagonistic bunch here in Singapore! (j/k)

We're a small nation and we recognise that we need to defend ourselves. However I think they need to break it down more into "willingness to defend" or "willingness to expand" rather than a generic "willingness to fight". Huge differences.

Edit: Just saw the above posters and I have to say... it is safe to walk in the streets alone 24 hours 7 days a week here in Singapore.

[edit on 6-6-2009 by postmeme]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by postmeme
Lol I would have thought Singapore would be the most safest country in the world.

Anyway I think your title is misleading. The index is for most peaceful and not safest country. There's a difference.

I think you are right that the title is misleading. It didn't even occur to me at the time, but when reading over it does. This is the actual title of the article, but I think you are correct and it should be changed.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Singapore ranked 23rd? That's rubbish. This country which I live in has little or no respect for human rights. Everything is government and mainstream media manipulation.

I am now over 1 year jobless despite being educated/skilled. Racism/apartheid among majority of employers and societies. I am also under police investigation for alleged hacking activity. No evidence found but my computer and wifi are still with them.
They try to silent me cause I was too vocal against their ministries.

Furthermore, its banking system maintains 100% secrecy over clients' identities.
Singapore is also home to Freemason Grandmaster (eastern region):
150 years Freemasons in the region
Freemasons Singapore

[edit on 6 6 2009 by wisdomnotemotion]

[edit on 6 6 2009 by wisdomnotemotion]

top topics

join