It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help on my essay please?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I'm having a difficult time finding a specific sourse or example to write on. I can't find something that is clear cut for me to analyze.

Here is the assignment paper text:

"many kinds of writing--indeed, many kinds of media, from television, to film, to radio--make arguments, even if they do not do so directly. This is especially true of fictional writing. As we discussed in class, satire is a particularly good instance of this; but we find it in many other kinds of writing as well.

In this essay, you will analyze a source that uses an indirect method to make its point. for your paper, you may write about any of the satires we discussed in class; or you may discuss any other popular example such as theonion.com or the daily show; finally, you may also look at other forms including, but not limited to, fiction you enjoy, a film, a T.V. show, a magazine article, or anything else that you believe is indirectly creating an argument. alternatively, you may also write a critique of somthing that you believe is biased without realizing it, for example, an advertisement, a product label--hekc, you could even analyze the syllabus or this assignment. the point is to let you follow your interests.

begin your peice by summarizing your object--its context, make up, and apparent purpose. then begin to develop an argument about how there is more going on than meets the eye. be sure to include plenty of direct quotations(if it is a written peice) or descriptions(if its a visual peice). as a general rule, use around 3-5 quotes(but always consult your writer's intuition on such matters as well)

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Try reading Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse-Five" or Joseph Heller's "Catch-22". Both carry an anti-war message, implicit within the text of the books but not so explicit as statements made by the characters who convey their message in the course of their actions and experiences rather than as demonstraters against the war theme.

Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance With Death (1969), by Kurt Vonnegut, is a post-modern anti-war science fiction novel dealing with a soldier's (Billy Pilgrim) experiences during World War II and his journeys with time travel.
Wiki Link

Catch-22 is a satirical, historical novel by the American author Joseph Heller, first published in 1961. The novel, set during the later stages of World War II from 1943 onwards, is frequently cited as one of the great literary works of the twentieth century.[2] It has a distinctive non-chronological style where events are described from different characters' points of view and out of sequence so that the time line develops along with the plot.
Wiki Link

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

Family guy has all the satire in the world, from social commentary to political gaffs. easy as pie

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Haha, you got me there! My post just shows my age and perspective I guess. I assume that the poster is at school rather than college or university or I would be suggesting that they have taken the wrong course if they need to ask.

Watching a few episodes of Family Guy seems too much like a busman's holiday though. If it is to be Family Guy, I would focus on Blue Harvest for the obvious satire of Star Wars but also the deeper aspects and references to "modern" culture.

Blue Harvest

[edit on 6-6-2009 by SugarCube]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

yeah i just mentioned Family guy because all the kids know about it. personally i think the Futurama movies are pretty good too for social commentary.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
thanks guys.
Yea I knew about family guy for sure.
And I'm at Texas State. haven't had really to write a paper in a yr or two. math major.
I mean I can think of things that fit this. I just am trying to find the perfect example that will lead me from a "B" paper to an "A" paper

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dajanksta
In this essay, you will analyze a source that uses an indirect method to make its point.

Bases on the Moon...

Since we don't have any direct proof, all we can do is make our point via indirect sources, hints hidden in documents and rumors from insiders.

That scenario applies to most of the topics at ATS as well

[edit on 6-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

LOL, leave it to you to come in here with some Moon conspiracy,lol...

Just because someone is taking a writing or English course doesn't mean they are majoring in it, it could be English 101 or some basic course in college.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dajanksta :

You said :
I'm having a difficult time finding a specific sourse or example to write on.

You might consider this topic -

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
South Park is a good choice. Almost every episode is satire (summed up in Stan's ending speech, usually)...

new topics

top topics

join