It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remembering Tiananmen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Remembering Tiananmen

Twenty years after the massacre of pro-democracy activists, Chinese authorities flooded Tiananmen Square with security forces this week to ensure that there were no protests and no commemorations. Visitors were searched at checkpoints, foreign television crews were turned away and certain Internet sites were also blocked.

Despite the country’s stunning economic growth over the past two decades, Beijing’s autocrats are clearly still afraid of their own people. In the months before the anniversary, they intensified a crackdown on human rights activists, including mothers of Tiananmen Square victims.

As an American I see and hear criticism of the US all day every day. If the situation calls for it I become one of the largest and loudest "Critic" of my own country.

WHY?

Because I can, also I feel an obligation to chime in as a citizen. Actually it's my responsibility to do so. It is becoming very apparent that China wants to hold the rest of the world at arms length when it comes to being criticized.

Why is that?

For an upcoming world power they sure do seem to be very thin skinned when people start asking hard hitting questions. You would think that a culture that is as old as it is often bragged about would by now know how to handle criticism. This isn't the China of 300 or 100 or even 50 years ago this is the present day China. One that wants to be a world player while it also seems wants to hide behind the great wall and stay above scrutiny?

I always get a chuckle when I hear people trying to compare the west to east as far as how old the cultures are. We all know how old China is, the real question that ALWAYS gets over looked is how old are the present Governments. The present Chinese Government is what? 60+ years young? So really they are relative new comers.

Let's be real here. Giving the present day Chinese government credit for all the great accomplishments that China has contributed to the world is like giving the present day Egyptian Government credit for building the great pyramids.

If China wants to be a global player they better get used to prying eyes and criticism. Deflecting questions instead of addressing them while pointing out the faults of others is sign of weakness and only leads to mistrust. They are big boys they can defend themselves. Talking about Chinese issues is not taboo like some people around here want us to believe. They are not above scrutiny. By the way We know all about Americas Issues we see them all day everyday.

So give that argument a rest.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I completely agree. America is the sacrificial lamb for the world whilst China will do as it pleases, hiding terrible crimes, and the world dare not call them out on it for fear.

The world is scared of China.

I believe the reason China resents scrutiny is due to their "Manifest Destiny". Who are we, as the 'young' West, to question destiny? Or at least that seems to be the Chinese mentality.

Communist or not, they still bank on 6,000 years of existence to lead them into a glorious future.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GuiltyByDesign

I dont think it's so much that they are scared just that China has been such a closed society for so long that it's been a stranger. I find it strange that every so often we get these "Hello I'm From China" and I speak for all 1.6 Billion people threads! Where all the newer members who don't really join any other types of threads all join this one and pat each other on the backs and never really participate in any other topics outside of " Introduction " threads?

I'm just curious because there seems to be a rash of those types of threads here at ATS lately. I find it very odd that we here at ATS are to be spoon fed tiny little bites of one persons opinion about what they think of their home country. What does the other 1.599.999.999.99 people think? I wouldn't bother trying to speak for the rest of the 375 Million Americans let alone our Canadian cousins.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Another important factor to consider is the leverage that China has with North Korea.

I'm certain that world leaders are well aware that if they have any hope of a non-violent resolution to the NK problem that all roads will eventually lead through China. We cannot underestimate the pull Hu Jintao has with Kim Jong-Il...

While the West may play North Korea's game, China will deal quickly with Kim should they see a threat to their national interests. And unlike a U.S./NATO response, the PRC would storm into NK with overwhelming force with little to no care for collateral damage and civilian casualties.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
For those who have either forgotten or were too young to remember.

There was a protest staged in Tiananmen Square in China. This took place during the spring of 1989. It was a pro-democracy movement, and the demonstration was crushed by the government.

Before

After

[edit on 6-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Google Video Link

Remember 1989,June 4 - About 100,000 studens and workers were protesting for the freedom and democracy at the Beijing Tienanmen square. 2500 people died according to the Chinese red cross, and 7,000-10,000 people injured. After that, the US and EU announced for arms embargo on China. To today, searching information about this incident is restricted in China. This video dedicates to the growing up generations who can use it as a reference to the learning of their histories

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Wow no more replies?
OK one last bump then off into the Abyss.

[edit on 6-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Former Student Dissidents Mark Tiananmen Square Anniversary Near US Capitol

On June 4, 1989 Chinese tanks rolled into the center of Beijing, crushing the country's pro-democracy movement and killing scores of protesters. Twenty years later, former student leaders and Chinese immigrants gathered in Washington D.C. to mark the occasion. Many have not lost hope that democratic reform will one day come to China.

new topics

top topics

join