It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Constipation Unplugged!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
No need to be embarrassed!!
Constipation is a number one intestinal complaint. It is a very common problem, that if left untreated can lead to health problems. If you are not having three of more bowel movements a week...you are most likely constipated.

Symptoms include- a coated tongue, foul breath, loss of appetite, headache, dizziness, dark circles under the eyes, depression, nausea, pimples on the face, ulcer in the mouth, constant fullness in the abdomen, , varicose veins, pain in the lumbar region, acidity, heart burn, and insomnia.

Some things that you can try that are helpful:

Of course drink plenty of water and get plenty of exercise. These not only help to relieve constipation, they are beneficial to your overall health.

Grapes have proven very beneficial in overcoming constipation. The combination of the properties of the cellulose, sugar, and organic acid in grapes make them a laxative food. When fresh grapes are not available, raisins, soaked in water, can be used. Raisins should be soaked for twenty-four to forty-eight hours. This will make them swell to the original size of the grapes. They should be eaten early in the morning, along with the water in which they have been soaked.

Guava with seeds intact will provide fiber and roughage.

Prunes or prune juice (just a few or a small glass)

A couple of tablespoons of castor oil ( I chase mine with a beer) works wonders!

Blackstrap molasses- Take 2 tablespoons before going to bed to relieve constipation. Molasses is too high in calories to use it as a daily preventative, but on an occasional basis, it can help to get you moving. It has a pretty strong taste, though, so you may want to add it to milk, fruit juice, or for an extra-powerful laxative punch, prune juice.

Fresh Walnuts ( a handful)

Apples, Apple juice or cider is a natural laxative

Vinegar- Mix 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon honey in a glass of water, and drink.

These are just a few examples of things that you can try. Of course there are many over the counter things you can buy, but I have found that many of these are harsh and can cause cramping! Feel free to list your remedies!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I wanted to add, if you do a bit of research on apple cider vinegar, you will be absolutely amazed at the benefits on your health that it can have! Who'd a thunk it!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Good diet, exerice, water, consume lots of fiber on a regular basis, and there shouldn't be problems. However, when you are very backed up there are several approaches. Fasting for a few days could help, because you are giving your digestive system a break. Caster oil works good. Over the counter enemas work, but they can cause bloat and other symptoms and if you are severely constipated, they probably won't work to well. Fleet enemas, soap and suds are a few brands, and for colonoscophies (the one where they put a camera up your butt) they give you go litely, which you have to drink a gallon of that stuff in i believe it's four hours, but this stuff can be painful if you are severely backed up as it causes severe bloat in some people. there are also other oral liquid laxatives.

Some names are magnisium citrate, milk magneisa (spelling?) which can work well. Then there are the pills/capsules such as colace, which is a stool softener, and senokot, which isn't a softer but it stimilater to help you relieve. When all else fails, and before you let some surgeon cut a hole in your stomach, Milk and Molasses enema will make you go, no matter how constipated you are. It also doesn't cause bloat and it's safe, been around for many years, and it's natural. The only side effect of this stuff, is that you will probably be on the toliet for a pretty good length of time depending on how much you use.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
OMG it is my duty to tell ya'll that citrate is nasty!!! Oh yeah, it works, but its nasty!!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Interesting.

I have no problem pooping. I love to poop actually.

I would like to mention 2 wipers are my favorite.

Darth.....dam bro! You got it scientifically broken down brutha~!
Star for you.!

Good to know.....

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
I wanted to add, if you do a bit of research on apple cider vinegar, you will be absolutely amazed at the benefits on your health that it can have! Who'd a thunk it!!!

Vinegar??? Isn't that instant diarrrhea?

It's my key ingredient in my potato salad, btw.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben Niceknowinya

lol thanks. It's an unfortunate problem that most members have in the family, and some relatives have had it so severe they went over a month without taking a dump. It's painful if you don't go for a few weeks, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for over a month.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

lol that it is. they have different flavors, but that's just a trick. It is my belief that when medicines takes awful, then they must work. Take the old school cough syrup, now they have a tolerable flavor but don't work as good as the nasty stuff. I think it may have been psychological though. The stuff would taste so bad, you would be better instantly. Plus you also didn't want to run from you mom or dad because they'd pin you down and make you drink it if you weren't willing to take it. lol I think most of the drinking laxatives are horrible, I've tried caster oil, to "clean the system", yes that stuff works, but that stuff is pretty awful, i'd rather drink vinegar, lol.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

How very true! It is a problem for my family too. As far as the castor oil, it is thick and gross, but in combo with 1 beer, it is the bomb!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben Niceknowinya

Are you using distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar? When using vinegar for the relief of ailments, you want the apple cider, unpasturized and all natural. Oh, I an I love me some tater salad!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Lumina
and for colonoscophies (the one where they put a camera up your butt) they give you go litely..

Ohhh Good ol' "Go litely".......... Seriously, whoever named it that either had a wicked sense of humor, or they were one sinister S.O.B. (or both!)

In my prior life, I was in the medical field.. Some poor intern once had a patient headed for a routine chest x-ray (right about 3-4 hours after the 'litely)..

No doubt, that was the intern's first encounter with a "poop waterfall" -- and hopefully the last time he just glanced at a chart before taking a patient somewhere.

"Go Litely" pfffffffffft.

Sorry for getting off-topic, it just brought back some memories.

[edit on 6/6/2009 by justme2]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by justme2

Absolutely nothing wrong with a little poop humor! I could tell some stories too, but alas I shall refrain!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
You should put a warning up with these methods.

The apple juice works..... I have been on the road for weeks straight now, and I admit, I haven't been "regular", so I read this opening post and decided to try the apple juice... It worked... Too well.

Maybe I drank too much?

It was cold, I was hot and thirsty, I learned my lesson. Kinda like the first time you drink yourself sick. Apple juice, wow.

Oh well, if it kills me it would likely be doing me a merciful favor.

At least I have a few more hours before driving into hell.

But I will be feeling quite relieved when I do.

Thanks for the incredibly effective advice.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Glad I could help! If I may ask, how much apple juice did you drink?
A lil dab'll do ya! That makes for a good song parody... "go on take the apple juice and run"...
Sorry...its not funny...

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Glad I could help! If I may ask, how much apple juice did you drink?

Tropicana 100% pure, 32 FL OZ, right from the cold section of drinks in the store... I drank the whole thing, it was actually quite good.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I keep a bottle of apple cider on hand that's full of halved hot little chillies. Some of that in mineral water really wakes you up fast. But you don't want to breath the bubbles in.

In hot water with organic honey and ascorbic acid it's brilliant for chest conditions and chills.

The best cure for constipation, imo, is oatmeal, muesli, or quinoa for breakfast every day, and apples for snacks. They also boost your energy levels and help you stay calm and happy.

And if you're having trouble with constipation cut down on meat, bread and bakery goods.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

No wonder you got the trots! But I understand, it is rather refreshing on a hot day!!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Great info, thank you for sharing it! This is such a common ailement, and one that is seldom discussed. I don't think that people realize how serious this topic can be. Thanks again for the great advice!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Had a sleep and woke up thinking about this one.
Chronic constipation seriously lowers the quality of life for some people and increases the risk of bowel cancer.
If you go to the doctor about it they really give it any thought; they just scroll down their latest list of drugs, find one that says "constipation," and toss off a script.

There are four things you need for a properly working bowel.

1. An evenly shaped bowel without twists, blockages or ballooned walls.

2. Peristaltic action of the bowel walls to push the filling along.

3. A bulky filling containing non-irritating, water absorbent fibre.

4. Adequate water.

1. In most cases a damaged, slightly blocked or slightly twisted bowel will gradually heal itself, if one eats a healthy diet and follows the rest of these recommendations.

A healthy diet for someone with long-term constipation difficulties is one based on vegetables and whole-grains/seeds/beans, with fruit and protein sources added as desired after ensuring the basics are eaten.

2. Despite potassium being in most foods, many people don't have enough to ensure the peristaltic motion works well. Chuck some tomato paste, onion and yoghurt onto a baked potato and you have a heap of potassium. Kidney problems, severe sweating or prior use of diuretics may mean you need even more, in which case you need a supplement.

3. Don't use excessive rice bran or wheat bran as these are rough and can irritate the intestine. Oat bran, quinoa, apples and linseeds are among the best ways to ensure a soft, bulky stool which will pass easily.
However these will only work, (apart from the apples,) if they are accompanied by water for them to absorb.

4. The idea that we all need 8 glasses of water each day is a myth, but it's a good idea to stick to it if you are having constipation problems.
Sugary drinks do not count as they can dehydrate you. The body can use more water than there is in a sweetened drink in excreting the excess sugar and sugar byproducts.

Note: Anyone experiencing bloody or black stools or unexplained abdominal pain should see a doctor.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Star! Thank you so much for the important information that you have posted! As I stated earlier, many I think do not realize how serious this can be!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join