It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post a funnier 'Far side' pic.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47f20869af8d.jpg[/atsimg]

The Far Side:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/667c23dd4ba2.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
From the wiki link...

en.wikipedia.org...

It is difficult to find many Far Side cartoons online, since Larson, his publishers, and lawyers have successfully persuaded people to not infringe on his copyright. There is a widely distributed letter online, attributed to Gary Larson, in which he explains the "emotional cost" to him of people displaying his cartoons on their websites and asks them to stop.

link to letter..
www.portmann.com...

Didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade. Not sure if it is true. I only noticed because I went to look for some and couldn't find many myself.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Sorry guys,

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I'm walking a fine line here.

On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I'm struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer.

What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me -- but it's not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control.

Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: ''It's like having someone else write in your diary, he said. And how true that statement rang with me . In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective.

To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed" on stage.) But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and -- most important -- respect your audience.

So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet. These cartoons are my "children," of sorts, and like a parent, I'm concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone's web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you're not going to like this much, but guess where I am."

I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I'm making this request.

Please send my "kids" home. I'll be eternally grateful.

Most respectfully,
Gary Larson

Source:www.portmann.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Hey good call -have never read that one.

Have to respect the man's wishes

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Gimmie a break. These comics were in every newspaper from coast to coast. If you go to the Library you were able to read the comics for FREE in the library. When you checked out a book, you read the comics for free. If he didn't want the work to be seen then why in the name of God did he have them published? He is not losing anything by us sharing a few of our favorite far side scenes.. If it wasn't for people like us who enjoy the comics he would have no need to even write them. Just my opinion

Bud316

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I miss the Far Side. *sigh*

One of the most insightful cartoons out there.

And the one MemoryShock posted is an all time fave of mine.

new topics

top topics

join