It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

UCLA Prohibits Student from Saying 'Jesus' in Graduation Speech

page: 2
11
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
If she wants to make herself look like a mentally ill lunatic on her day, god bless her. It's not for anyone to get involved or take that away from her.

How did this make it all the way to the newz?

[edit on 5-6-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]


If it were a private school - they can do anything they want.

But it isn't - - it is a public school.

Therefore it belongs to ALL the public - - some public may not want an exclusive god as part of one of their greatest accomplishments too.

If you want her to be allowed to honor her god - - - then I suggest an open invitation be made to all students to have a specific time to address their god or belief - - no acceptions and no rejections.




posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Good!

Her personal religion doesn't belong at a graduation of multi-cultural students of various beliefs.


I don't believe your personal opinions should be on this message board and it is scary to think someone like you can vote. You pretty much contradict yourself by telling someone in a multicultural school that she can not thank someone from her own. Probably not your proudest post, eh?

Also, what if I wanted to thank Obama? Would they have a problem with that?



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtard

Originally posted by Annee
Good!

Her personal religion doesn't belong at a graduation of multi-cultural students of various beliefs.


I don't believe your personal opinions should be on this message board and it is scary to think someone like you can vote. You pretty much contradict yourself by telling someone in a multicultural school that she can not thank someone from her own. Probably not your proudest post, eh?

Also, what if I wanted to thank Obama? Would they have a problem with that?


Right Back At Ya.

And I'm very proud of my post - - and my position on this.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeeGee

However, I have no idea where you got the idea that the separation of church and state is mythical.


Because it is not in the Constitution.

The Constitution does not allow the establishment of a single religion, and it specifically allows the freedom of religion...not from it.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


If I lived in California, then my tax money would be going to pay for UCLA, which means all the more reason why she should be able to say what she wants to say. After all if her parents pay taxes or she pays taxes then she is paying to go to that school. Same thing with a private school the only difference is that the curriculum, and apparently the school, is dictated by a bunch of intolerant progressives that are afraid of offending people.

Big deal she should lie and then say it anyway. Her speech is covered by the first amendment and since it is public its all the more covered by the first amendment.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Originally posted by GeeGee

However, I have no idea where you got the idea that the separation of church and state is mythical.


Because it is not in the Constitution.

The Constitution does not allow the establishment of a single religion, and it specifically allows the freedom of religion...not from it.


Been through this in another thread - where ever that thread is.

There is an amendment - - - but mostly precedence has been set by winning court cases.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


Perhaps if you explained why you don't belive that religion should be included in the "culture" aspect of "multiculturalism", you wouldn't be catching so much flak for that post. Could you elaborate more? Maybe there was a misunderstanding.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by Annee
 


If I lived in California, then my tax money would be going to pay for UCLA, which means all the more reason why she should be able to say what she wants to say. After all if her parents pay taxes or she pays taxes then she is paying to go to that school. Same thing with a private school the only difference is that the curriculum, and apparently the school, is dictated by a bunch of intolerant progressives that are afraid of offending people.

Big deal she should lie and then say it anyway. Her speech is covered by the first amendment and since it is public its all the more covered by the first amendment.



I was born and bred in California - - my taxes too.

If my child was Luciferian - - this being her greatest achievement graduating college. I would expect my tax dollars to support her right and her opportunity to also thank her God in this public arena. (example only)



[edit on 5-6-2009 by Annee]



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


So what is the problem with that? I don't care what religion or who they want to thank. I might think he/she is a fruit cake, but he/she has all the right to say it.

It doesn't offend me in anyway. Even if it did offend me I'd just let it roll right over, life is too short to worry about other people. You can't please everybody.

And anyway, her tax money is no less important than your money. If you don't want to hear who she wants to thank why don't you look for a non-religious private school?



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I gave a solution - - here it is:

Therefore it belongs to ALL the public - - some public may not want an exclusive god as part of one of their greatest accomplishments too.

If you want her to be allowed to honor her god - - - then I suggest an open invitation be made to all students to have a specific time to address their god or belief - - no acceptions and no rejections.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


That is silly. How does this sound. She can say what she wants, thank who she wants, and if you don't like it, you can leave the area in protest and look like an idiot. OR you could just take it with an open mind or just brush her off as another person blaming her accomplishments on a religouse figure and continue to watch the speeches.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtard
reply to post by Annee
 


Perhaps if you explained why you don't belive that religion should be included in the "culture" aspect of "multiculturalism", you wouldn't be catching so much flak for that post. Could you elaborate more? Maybe there was a misunderstanding.


Are you sure you actually read what I said?

In a nutshell: UCLA is a public school. If they can't honor and allow a student from every belief to acknowledge their god/faith/culture - - on this their most important day - - then they should allow none.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtard

That is silly. How does this sound. She can say what she wants, thank who she wants, and if you don't like it, you can leave the area in protest and look like an idiot. OR you could just take it with an open mind or just brush her off as another person blaming her accomplishments on a religouse figure and continue to watch the speeches.


Tell me what it is you are actually defending.

Cuz I'm not really sure.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by OKCBtard

That is silly. How does this sound. She can say what she wants, thank who she wants, and if you don't like it, you can leave the area in protest and look like an idiot. OR you could just take it with an open mind or just brush her off as another person blaming her accomplishments on a religouse figure and continue to watch the speeches.


Tell me what it is you are actually defending.

Cuz I'm not really sure.


Her right to thank who she wants! Freedom of speech! Freedom of Religion! Call it what you want, but at ones own graduation speech, you should be able to thank anyone you please.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I know that probably saying, "Okay, professor, I won't say those words." and then saying them anyway just might be contrary to what this young person feels in her heart. So, if I was her, I would make that promise, and then say them anyway, just in different order, or whatever way I could creatively say them.

I won't tell you which school district my children attended and my grandchildren now attend, because I don't want the ACLU or whatever other organization interferring with our community. PTA meetings begin with prayer to ask for guidance and wisdom in decisions. And at graduation ceremonies, the students are allowed to actually thank God, or Jesus, or Allah or the great Spaghetti Monster for their successes. Yes, really, a girl did thank the spaghetti monster one year. I laughed so loud at that. Really, it was quite funny, considering the topic was recently addressed in a letter to the editor of the local newspaper and created much follow up discussions in town and in the paper.




posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
What about separation of church and state... If its a public school then its run by the state therefore no religious speeches or symbols should be present on the campus.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The Professor's response:


Quoting Pamela Hurley :
Hi Christina,

UCLA is a public university where the doctrine of separation of church and
state is observed, in order to respect the sheer diversity of religious
beliefs among the people who come here. Since that is so, we do permit MCDB
graduates to thank God in their words of wisdom, but we also ask that they
refrain from making more specific religious references of any kind. In this
setting, even I would not personally be comfortable reading:

"I want to thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Therefore, I need to let you know that I will read your Words of Wisdom as
follows:

First, I want to thank God. I also want to thank my father who passed away
3 years ago, for teaching me to always do my best and thus motivating me
to pursue the sciences. I want to thank my mother for supporting me in
school as well as my sisters and brother for encouraging me and my friends
for making college fun."
I plan to work in a research lab or become a dietician.

I do understand that, because of your own faith, this is not what you would
prefer, Christina. But I hope that you can be okay with the above, given
all
the circumstances that exist.

Sincerely,

Pamela


www.facebook.com...



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


Or how about this, how about you show some respect for other peoples beliefs? Maybe practice a little bit of tolerance.

It is a public school therefore she should be able to thank who ever she wants. Grow a thick skin.



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by OKCBtard

Her right to thank who she wants! Freedom of speech! Freedom of Religion! Call it what you want, but at ones own graduation speech, you should be able to thank anyone you please.


She is not the only one graduating.

That is the point.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by Annee]



posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by Annee
 


Or how about this, how about you show some respect for other peoples beliefs? Maybe practice a little bit of tolerance.

It is a public school therefore she should be able to thank who ever she wants. Grow a thick skin.


LOL
- Come again . . .

I'm a Starseed - - that is my belief.

We know what happened to that thread and how much tolerance and respect it got.



new topics

top topics



 
11
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join