It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This may be the perfect weekend to buy a car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Discontinued Chrysler dealers looking to move inventory before Tuesday

DES MOINES, Iowa - If you're looking for a new Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep, this just might be your weekend.

Chrysler dealers who will lose their right to sell new cars as early as Tuesday need to unload the remaining cars and trucks on their lot or face getting stuck with them.

Chrysler, which has filed for bankruptcy protection, has told 789 dealerships they'll no longer have a contract to sell new cars after next week.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yeaaaah SURE! Im gonna go run down just as FAST as I can and get into debt! Whoooooot!

I dont think so......

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Piranha

What I worry about is if I buy one of these cars, and it breaks, will I be able to find the parts I need to fix it?? I mean, I know that a lot of repair shops would have the piece in stock, but what if I need a part from the maker??

I guess what I am asking is are parts for cars pretty much universal, or can only a Chrysler engine be used in a Chrysler?

Sorry if it sound weird. I know NOTHING about cars.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

Well, to me you are correct. The biggest issue is the fact that the cars drop in price and the parts go up, making it more difficult for repair.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

Well, if the parts makers don't go out of business it should be fine. You can put a Chrysler motor into a ford or a Honda or whatever, but it requires modification, lots of modification.

I wouldn't buy a car from them just for the simple fact that the Gov owns apart of them, so I don't see the sense in me paying money to buy a car when in a way I would be paying for my own warranty work.

That last part is just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I wouldn't buy a GM. They can stick it.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I would never buy an American car. Had one a long time ago, a Chrysler, and it was by far the worst car that I've ever had, Their models are waaaay too ugly.

Well, if it's really the best weekend to buy any car, I'm coincidentially selling mine.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
No dealer is getting stuck with cars.. most dealers are moving inventory to other lots. There will not be a fire sale like they tell you, its a ploy to get business.

Also. Chryslers suck, seriously... don't buy one, even if it is cheap.

In fact I strongly urge everyone to BOYCOTT gm and chrysler...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I wouldn't buy an American vehicle, especially a Chrysler or GM, no matter the terms. Along with plant closings, their vendors which supply parts to service these autos are going out of business and any buyers of new vehicles risk not being able to get parts for even warranty service. How about 3 years down the road?

I was a production control manager for a few years for an aluminum wheel manufacturer in Van Nuys, CA and they have shut down most of their US plants and are removing the machery which produced these wheels for more than 30 years. Their ability to produce wheels is gone and many more closings to follow.

What went on with Superior Industries is a crying shame. Some of the most DEDICATED workers I have ever met, 20-30 years on the job, long time employees in their late 50's and 60's with no job and a grim future.

Dedication and loyalty in the United States has become a one way street. The corporations EXPECT and DEMAND loyalty when none is shown to their LOYAL employees. The worm turns and suddenly "We're closing and laying off all but a few individuals. So sad, so sorry" This is going on coast to coast.

I'm sure there are many hundreds, if not thousands, of vendors to the auto makers are in the same situation. Laying off their entire staffs, and physically going out of business. Once the parts pipeline dries up, getting your vehicles repaired may become quite difficult as replacement parts are not available. Or if there are repair parts, God only knows where they come from.

I own only Honda's and Acura's. I waited 25 years, to get my kids out of school, to purchase my dream car, A Pontiac Trans AM. It was a hunk of junk and extremely expensive to repair. I baby'ed that car and spent almost as much to maintain it as it did to purchase it. Cured me of American cars, muy pronto!!

Own a Honda or Acura, fix it once and forget about it. I transverse LA daily in an Acura with 188,000 miles, getting 36 mpg. 1 problem in 2 1/2 years. Couldn't ask for more.

Now that I am rid of my GM heartbreak and driving my saki burner, I'm a happy camper. Money in my pocket and I fill her up maybe once every week or two.

You could not give me a Chrysler or GM product unless you gave me $15,000 cash for future repairs or outright purchase a used Japanese replacement, in lieu of a lack of replacement parts. If you can't get replacement parts, your vehicle has no trade-in value. Heck, a Honda isn't broken in until it hits 100,000 miles, the maximum life expectency of a Chrysler or GM product.

So if you need to learn a lesson the hard way, git out there and buy yourself a Chrysler or GM product waranteed ultimately by the US Government. You should get a fair deal from them. So by all means, do it this weekend!!!

Edit to add: Is the OP a Chrysler dealer?????

[edit on 7-6-2009 by Oldnslo]

new topics

top topics

join