It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD seeks way to let guns 'talk' to one another

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

NYPD seeks way to let guns 'talk' to one another

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK – The New York Police Department is looking into adapting futuristic technology that would allow officers' guns to recognize one another in an effort to avoid the type of friendly fire that left a cop dead last week.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly asked his inner circle to compile a list of department initiatives that would help prevent confrontations between fellow officers. Omar J. Edwards, 25, was killed May 28 as he chased a burglary suspect. Edwards had just left work and was dressed in street clothes and had his service weapon drawn. Three plainclothes detectives came u
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is interesting, guns "talking" to each other. I think this sort of technology already exists in some form, it's called target recognition. You don't fire on friendly's and you use caution whenever your weapon is drawn. On another note I guess humans have become lax in their efforts to control friendly fire so now technology has to take over and safeguard us once again, way to go science!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
COOL.....Now all I need is a "Friend" transmitter on my gun and I can go on a serious rampage and not a cop in town will be able to shoot me!!!

Bad idea already........

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea
COOL.....Now all I need is a "Friend" transmitter on my gun and I can go on a serious rampage and not a cop in town will be able to shoot me!!!

Bad idea already........

I just hope, that if they do put this system in place that they'll be smart enough to put some sort of fail safes in place.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This idea is ludicrous, there would have to be some kind of RFID or something for them to recognize each other.

Wouldn't take long for somebody to figure out the frequency. Then rob a bank and lock up all the polices weapons from firing.

How about teaching their officers to not be some trigger happy?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
This idea is ludicrous, there would have to be some kind of RFID or something for them to recognize each other.

Wouldn't take long for somebody to figure out the frequency. Then rob a bank and lock up all the polices weapons from firing.

How about teaching their officers to not be some trigger happy?

Hmmm, the chip would fit in well with the "plan" and I assume that civilians chips wouldn't transmit weapon's signals.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The ironic part of this would be if you had a rogue officer that flipped his lid, who would take him down? A citizen?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

People would just make a different separate system. That would tell all the officer's guns to not shoot or tell it is an officer.

Doesn't really make much sense. Sounds like a big waste of money, I still say they should train their officers to be less trigger happy.

No system is going to save lives if the person behind the trigger has no control.

And now that I think about it I'd imagine that it would be a system that just identifies the person as an officer I don't think it would mess with the functioning of the weapon.

Then again stranger things have been proposed and implemented.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Target recognition is fundamental to responsible handgun users, you would think they beat this to death at the academy during firearms training.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

That is truth. Then again this is NY where most people think firearms are bad and do things on their own spontaneously.

Then again not every cop is a gun nut either, some of them just look at it as a job. They don't even care for their weapons properly. Then we have this freaky scary security culture that just keeps growing and its like the policy has turned into shoot first ask questions last.

top topics

join