It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Races Are There?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
There are only three races...You have mongloid, angloid and negroid...Everything else is a derivative of those.

According to some who would perpetuate the idea of seperate races... yes. The distinction has been used in various professions, including the medical field. Doesn't mean it's right, though.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
And who is promoting that? I'd like to eliminate the ideology, not ethnic differences.

I don't recall the name, but it's an idea that everyone needs to be one color. Wish I could be of more help but I don't really have an interest in it all.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Likely George Soros. :p

I doubt I could survive a world so boring where everyone thinks, looks and acts the same. The world's stomachs would be fed by McDonalds and our minds fed by who knows what kind of uniform mental pablum.

No thanks

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

And who is promoting that? I'd like to eliminate the ideology, not ethnic differences.

I don't recall the name, but it's an idea that everyone needs to be one color. Wish I could be of more help but I don't really have an interest in it all.

I wonder why we make Alien races all one color.

I know there are many races - - but in each race they are all clone like.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Could it be archetypes?

Interesting question.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
There is one race amongst Homo Sapiens. It is the Human race. The human genome was decoded a while back and there was no specific gene for Asian or African. There are genes that decided what color your skin will be and what color your eyes will be.

To answer your question there is one race.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by js331975

Yup.

Can't agree with you more

No matter where you're from, you're my relative.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
O K I'll take a stab at answering this.

Let's see ------ .

There is the human race.

Oh! Then there are Democrates and Republicans !!!

Let's not forget the TEA PARTY
edit on 9-8-2011 by hdutton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

If the Tea Party is another race of humans, then we're in trouble. How dare they upset the left/right paradigm by aligning themselves in the middle. That's not human, it's... eerp... (words fail me).

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I can not help but agree but I don't know the word either.

Please read my post again but very slowly.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

So far, all we can prove the existence of on earth, is one: the Human race.

But by all means, if we can really prove another one exists, light up the boards!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

reply to post by hdutton

If the Tea Party is another race of humans, then we're in trouble. How dare they upset the left/right paradigm by aligning themselves in the middle. That's not human, it's... eerp... (words fail me).

The middle of what? the far right?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Recently I read a thread where a poster declared a particular race was prone to criminal activity. The member was adamant that this was so and all one had to do was look at the prison population or crime statistics.

That is textbook racism

So suggesting that one look into facts is "racism"? No, it's just the truth.
Just where do you liberals get these ideas anyway?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleak
So suggesting that one look into facts is "racism"? No, it's just the truth.
Just where do you liberals get these ideas anyway?

No, it's not the truth. The historical record proves it:

"Race" first appeared in the English language around the 17th century. North Americans began to use the term in their scientific writings by the late 18th century. Racism was developed and popularized by scientists in the 19th century, as they were regarded as purveyors of truth. At the time this ideology also explained political and economic conflicts in various parts of the world and legitimized the dominant role of British capitalism in the world economic system. Racism is universal and is evident in many different ethno-racial groups. It is not limited to white groups.
By the mid-19th century, there was general agreement that the worlds population could be divided into a variety of races: groups of people who shared similar phenotypical attributes, eg, skin colour, hair texture. This process of race categorization is referred to as racialization and is necessary for the emergence of racism as an ideology.

www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com...

By the way, the crass assumption about my personal political affiliation is unappreciated.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Pretty well said.

As long as we don't fall into the trap of thinking that, because our concept of race is an artificial social construct, so racism doesn't exist... It may not be an entirely accurate term, but it's an unfortunate truth that humans will and do discriminate based on a perception of race, whether or not that perception has any validity.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Skyfloating
I strongly and passionately disagree

Seriously, I've been taking issue with the need for equalization for a long time. Being of mixed race myself I have great appreciation for differences in color, culture and abilities of various races. And my use of the word race has nothing at all to do with racism or a "feeling of superiority".

I travel a lot and on my travels I want to experience people who are different than those people of my race and culture. When in Asia, I eat Asian food, enjoy Asian customs, get into Asian mentality. When in Africa, likewise. In the process of doing this I have discovered that there are huge differences, and that there are different races and cultures of people.

As I see it there are two mainstream viewpoints and both are false:

1. We are all the same

why?

2. We are all different and thats bad or We are all different and some are superior to others.
Define superior?

The third viewpoint, which does not get much airtime is:

3. We are all different and thats great!!!!
To what extent and how are we different?
The third viewpoint allows for a unity without suppressing diversity.

The idea that oneness requires sameness is the cause of many problems we've faced throughout history. I can be different than someone and even in total disagreement with anothers lifestyle and beliefs but still respect and appreciate that difference.

The pressure of equalization promoted by the "politically correct" lacks such a distinction. It will try to make women be like men or blacks be like whites and vice versa.

Black people...and yes they are black...are different. But that does not mean anything negative. It means that if they honor their roots, their culture, their way, their style, their passions, they will integrate much more easily than if they are forced to behave like the white american. And vice-versa. Unfortunately, nowadays it is almost forbidden to see differences.
Black people are not black they are brown. All Humans are a shade of brown. Polar bears' skin is black. Honor what roots? Senegalese roots? west african roots? This is silly don't you think? How do "white"(light brown) americans behave?
In the analogy of oneness, every puzzle piece is unique. No puzzle piece is the same as another. And yet, placed properly, they all form ONE puzzle.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by Skyfloating]

Are human superior to a mountain lion,eagle or a crocodile? We haven't changed much in 120,000 years.

I mean eagle have superior vision compared to humans.

Can we swim like a crocodile?

Can we out run a puma?

No.

We are inferior to those animals right?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

There's only actually one race...it's called Homosapien.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Agreed.

But, as recent events have shown, there are those who do not see things the same as you and I.

Unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I tend to think of the different looking humans groups often referred to as "races" more as "breeds" ... "purebreds," "mixed breeds" and straight up "mutts" ... "mutts" being the optimal blend!

A breed is a specific group of domestic animals having homogeneous appearance (phenotype), homogeneous behavior, and/or other characteristics that distinguish it from other organisms of the same species and that were arrived at through selective breeding. Despite the centrality of the idea of "breeds" to animal husbandry and agriculture, no single, scientifically accepted definition of the term exists. A breed is therefore not an objective or biologically verifiable classification but is instead a term of art amongst groups of breeders who share a consensus around what qualities make some members of a given species members of a nameable subset.

So, how many "purebreds" are there IMO? LOTS. Any group/breed of people that strictly have children with their own kind for whatever reason. But some that come immediately to mind:
Chinese (that live IN China)
Africans (that live IN Africa)
Isolated tribes scattered around the earth

Most other "human breeds" have moved around and spread their genes around for various reasons, muddying their gene pools that of and other breeds they've encountered.

Obviously this isn't hard science - so go easy on me.
edit on 6/22/2015 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

I look forward to the day when no human being on Planet Earth is able to take a DNA test and confirm that they are 'pure bred'.

The days of tribalism are dead and gone. Just walk around any major city in the world and see who is marrying who and raising families.

Huzzah!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join