It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Database Of All The Toxins In Your Cosmetics And Personal Care Products

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Boing Boing Article

Skin Deep is a safety guide to cosmetics and personal care products brought to you by researchers at the Environmental Working Group.

Skin Deep pairs ingredients in more than 42,000 products against 50 definitive toxicity and regulatory databases, making it the largest integrated data resource of its kind. Why did a small nonprofit take on such a big project? Because the FDA doesn't require companies to test their own products for safety.

Find out how you're being poisoned here:

Cosmeticsdatabase.com

The above link also provides a petition to Congress trying to bring about better assesment of what goes into personal care products.

A Sample Search:

AMERICAN BEAUTY DOUBLE LUSH MASCARA PLUS PRIMER (ALL SHADES)

Ingredients in this product are linked to:
Cancer
Developmental/reproductive toxicity
Violations, restrictions & warnings
Allergies/immunotoxicity

Other concerns for ingredients used in this product:
Neurotoxicity, Endocrine disruption, Persistence and bioaccumulation, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Multiple, additive exposure sources, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Enhanced skin absorption, Contamination concerns, Occupational hazards, Biochemical or cellular level changes

Yuck! So glad I just use soap and am happy being ugly!

I hope the search facility shows some of you just how bad so many of those personal care products can be....and you pay a high price for them too.

Be safe people, and get Congress to ACT!

....nerb

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It's also worth noting that urine is a common ingredient in a lot of womens cosmetic products. Women literally have piss all over their face, daily.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I don't now and have rarely ever used cosmetics. I used mascara once and got an eye infection. That was enough for me. I clean my face with Mary Kay cleanser and lotion. Caress is the only "soap" I use because it doesn't leave scum all over me or the bathtub.

Lately I've gotten into herbs and their medicinal uses. Believe it or not, you can make excellent personal care products from common herbs and flowers. I'm still learning.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

I was going to quote you but thought I'd just reply instead.

Thanks for the info...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I had a first hand experience with toxins in mascara - specifically Maybelline Great Lash mascara - I used it once and my eyes were swollen shut! They were so painful and red that I couldn't move my eyes or open them for 3-4 days! When I called the company, they acted like it was no big deal and sent me a coupon - told me that if I had gone to the dr then I could have by bills reimbursed but I didn't. I never had a reaction like this before - when I searched online I found many, many reports of other people having the same reaction. Since then I use one product and that is it! Really makes me wonder what is really in cosmetic products of all types!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CINY8
I had a first hand experience with toxins in mascara - specifically Maybelline Great Lash mascara

Maybe not the exact version but from a quick SEARCH

MAYBELLINE GREAT LASH CURVED BRUSH WASHABLE MASCARA, SOFT BLACK

Cancer yes
Developmental/reproductive toxicity yes
Violations, restrictions & warnings yes
Allergies/immunotoxicity yes

Other concerns for ingredients used in this product:
Neurotoxicity, Persistence and bioaccumulation, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Multiple, additive exposure sources, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Enhanced skin absorption, Contamination concerns, Occupational hazards, Biochemical or cellular level changes

Ingredients from packaging: WATER, BEESWAX, OZOKERITE, SHELLAC, GLYCERYL STEARATE, TRIETHANOLAMINE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, STEARIC ACID, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, METHYLPARABEN, QUATERNIUM-15, QUATERNIUM-22, SIMETHICONE, BUTYLPARABEN, IRON OXIDES (MAY CONTAIN), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (MAY CONTAIN), ULTRAMARINE BLUE (MAY CONTAIN)

Directions from packaging: Sweep mascara through lashes from base to tip. Do not let dry between coats. Removes easily with soap and water.

Warnings from packaging: To safeguard Maybelline purity, reserve this product for your person use. Treat the applicator with the hygienic care you give your eyes. Never apply this product in a moving vehicle. Do not dilute mascara with water, saliva, or any other substance. Cap tightly after use. If change in odor or appearance occurs discontinue use. Do not use this or any other eye cosmetic if your eye is injured, irritated, or infected. Consult a physician promptly.

Don't do it ladies.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I work in this industry in the UK, the European Union has much stricter rules than the USA.

Here are the British laws

The Cosmetic Products (Safety) Regulations 2008

The rules are changing again this year.

Many ingredients allowed in the USA are banned in the EU, such as food coloring.

Even with soap and brand names you are not that safe, it is well worth checking the ingredients list online.

If you have any questions about EU rules or different chemicals I will do my best to help.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
**Claps**

Bravo Bravo, jolly good show NWO cabal, im impressed yet again by the depth of your treachery and cunning

its just a little intentional mass murder guys/gals, we can forgive them for this like we always forgive them!

we are good little cattle afterall, we wouldnt dare go crazy and actually try to do something about it

no, we will be very good cattle, and we will sit here and clap and cheer, because we LOVE getting cancer as long as it was a gift of love from our friendly neighborhood overlords

well i dont know about all of you

some of you may be ungrateful

but i am not, i am thankful for my cancer death sufferage

hmmm i need to rewrite this to see if i can make it more sarcastic...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
you are not that safe

exactly

there is one form of relatively Safe makeup that i know of offhand, dirt

its free too btw

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CINY8
Really makes me wonder what is really in cosmetic products of all types!

to put it bluntly, carcinogenic sludge

it looks good tho right?

top topics

join