It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In defense of recurring topics.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Regarding recurring topics here on ATS, I often see responses to threads like:

"Already been debunked."

"Been discussed a million times already."

"Didn't you search before posting?" Etc........

While I can understand the need to eliminate current duplicate threads, there are many new members who join with a fresh sense of curiosity. Plus it is more enjoyable to discuss / debate "live" or near real-time.

I realize this might not apply to "debunking" a YouTube clip of a blurry ufo.

For me, recurring topics can often be illuminating. If I recall a recent similar thread, I have followed the lead set by others by posting the link for it. And try to politely suggest posters can review it if interested. I find that more appealing than something grumpy.

Besides, to use a Music metaphor. If you enjoy an album/cd, do you only listen to it once? Imagine going to a friends house and they put on a record and you say,
oh, I've already heard that, could you play something else?

While some might be frustrated by rehashing old topics, I often glean new insight from them. Plus, I'm able to share my gained knowledge from prior discussions.

Just my .02¢.

Regards.......KK

[edit on 5-6-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I agree, and actually as far as I was told you can post recurring topics once every six months for this very reason: There is A LOT of threads on ATS and even the ones with 100 flags and stars get pushed back after a year or so. So it is beneficial for ease of viewing and information access to occasionally rehash certain topics, to an extent and if it is warranted.

This will probably get closed and moved to the "Issues forum" however.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I would agree that sometimes its a lot easier to just browse the 'new topics' or the firehose to read through interesting stuff, and sometimes people can be a little condescending with their pointing out of duplicate threads...but you have to admit a little bit of 'aw man' when four or five of the things in the new topics are the same thing...but I totally agree that it is good to dust some stuff off once in a while and have a few sets of new eyes looking at it.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Very true kk ...

Every once in a while if a thread starts and I am aware that there is an older thread on the same topic I will post a link.

But I don't do it to "show up" the OP, it is more for them and currently active members to be able to find existing insight and contributions on the topic that they may have otherwise missed. More of a reference gesture if you will.

I think Opening Posters often get discouraged if they find an existing thread on the precise topic they wish to discuss. If the thread in question is not current they really shouldn't feel that way. In fact it would be good etiquette to include a link to the older thread in their OP. That way they don't have to be subjected to the "been there done that" comments.

Also for some forums it's harder than others. It must be difficult to track down UFO duplicate threads based on youtube videos as the titles are often so dissimilar.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
IMO

With every answer comes a different perspective that makes one think in a slightly different way.

Unless of course it's a bog standard soundbite like "this has been discussed before"

I've been guilty of this myself - until I read what the member had to say...

And then, I'm sorry to say, I have been sarcastic, presumptuous, condescending, and generally unsufferable

I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone at some point.

Live and learn though, eh...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I agree...

Sometimes new evidence will pop up about an already supposedly "Debunked" topic. Every posts should be given a chance to shine. I always enjoy seeing a fresh perspective on older topics.

I'm not talking about the posts that just pop up showing a well known 'Youtube" and the always famous question. "What do you think"

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hasn't this been posted before?

Seriously, I see no harm in re-visiting old topics for new developments. After all, are we suggesting that Roswell should have been discussed once and never re-visited.

I doubt it.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I completely disagree, I think that there should be a grand total of 10 thread on this board. If it does not belong in those ten threads, then its a reproduction.

Once those ten threads are completely exhausted ATS should shut down.

Y'all know I'm kidding right?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I agree that recurring threads can bring new info, evidence, perspective, ect....

But do really need a new thread discussing 2012 and the end of the world every other day..?

And if you are going to use the 'new member' variable...will then doesn't an over abundance of one particular thread create a larger maze for the new member to negotiate..?

But ya, I guess more is better...

mmaarrg iedt!

[edit on 6/5/2009 by chapter29]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I would like to start out with the obvious,

Since the conception of this site many years ago, almost all topics posted as new have been covered in the past. If new information that comes to light is considered as a continuation how can there be new alternative breaking news.

At this point i would also like to add, that there are sensitive threads which this site WILL not approach, i am specifically targeting threads relating to alpha groups, i do understand the sensitivity and danger of pursuing such threads as it always leads to uncomfortable calling cards and can create problems for site owners and site availability on a broader scale.
Therefore i have uploaded such info on a well known site which has often been quoted within this site as breaking leaked news. If one is to separate himself from the rest he must take the risk with all the costs calculated.

In reference to moderators, i find them extremely helpful, as they do adhere to guidelines for the smooth running of forums and arguments and alerts. Given the number of online and active users i can only imagine how it can sometimes become frustrating in maintaining biased and open minded decisions.

On a brighter note, i have noticed in the u2u's that after a message from either an automated thread moved bot or manually initiated there is a link for complaints section. For the likes of me, i just cannot see myself complaining about such moved thread's or closed down thread's as its totally upon the moderators decisions regardless if i feel it was right or wrong. If wrong decisions are taken too frequently then in due time it will reflect on the sites overall performance and will show on its statistics.

Thank you for your time.

top topics

join