It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aerial images online endanger national security, critics say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Aerial images online endanger national security, critics say

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- One is a assemblyman in California; the other a piano tuner in Pennsylvania.
Critics fear that online aerial images of nuclear power plants in the U.S., like this one, could aid terrorists.

Critics fear that online aerial images of nuclear power plants in the U.S., like this one, could aid terrorists.

But when they independently looked at online aerial imagery of nuclear power plants and other sites, they had the same reaction: They said they feared that terrorists might be doing the same thing.

Now, both have launched efforts to try to get Internet map services
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Now the government is publicly wanting to censor images on GE and other programs in the name of "protecting against the terrorists". In my opinion this is garbage because they can blur whatever they want under the guise of national security. Knowing Napolitano I bet she will go full speed with this one. Hell, given her track record I wouldn't be surprised if she writes a report calling all GE users "potential terrorists".

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
i dont think terrorist aim at nuclear power pants..i think its more likely to fire a bomb in civilized areas..only my opinion

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Those are my thoughts too. I'm thinking that this suggestion will reach much farther than nuclear power plants. This will publicly give the government the power to censor whatever aerial images they want to. Yes airbrushing things has been going on for a long time but going public under the guise of terrorism will allow them to do much more without even a whimper from the general public.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Irrational scaremongering at its very worst.

I can come up with a hundred ways in which terrorists "might" launch an attack, but you don't base policy on that.

Restricting access to photos because someone "could use them to plan an attack" is just idiotic.

But hey, idiotic has never stopped them in the past.

PS - I still love and remember the FBI alert about "floating bombs", where terrorists could put bombs on rafts and float them up rivers into ports. Idiots.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If they want to go that far, then they should also disable the GPS system worldwide because it is a potential terrorist tool. GPS can be far more sinister than GE could be. Perhaps that is why it will be allowed for fail.

Information is power. Always has been and always will be. So you remove the power from the people one right or ability at a time. The PTB don't wish to feel threatened by their own citizens or constituents, now do they.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xman_in_blackx

They can go as far as saying that the entire internet is a terrorist tool and try to implement draconian restrictions on the web just as China has. Hopefully I'm not right but I feel that this is the first public step of many to restrict access to information on a large scale. The keyword being public. It really sucks that the populace can be duped into almost anything in the name of being safe from terrorists.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Retseh

PS - I still love and remember the FBI alert about "floating bombs", where terrorists could put bombs on rafts and float them up rivers into ports. Idiots.

[edit on 6/5/2009 by ShAuNmAn-X]

[edit on 6/5/2009 by ShAuNmAn-X]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
An attempt to control the free exchange of information will be undertaken in small steps. Otherwise it would be too widely rejected.

GE censorship already takes place.

I must concur that GPS is a far greater threat..., but that won't help silence the internet..., so there you have it.

If we don't take this seriously I suppose those who embrace the use of false-flags for social-engineering will do their 'thing'.

Good catch!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I think they should put restriction on special building, even images from houses, here in belgium some guys used google map to introduce people 's house and rob them, our privacy is #ed up, did you saw this naked wowan on google earth? Now most of people will say it's not serious but if it were you or your wife or even your daughter will you say the same?

A power plant can harm far more a population than an "usual" bomb, after the explosion there will be lot lot lot of radiation and possibly some Uninhabitable area because of the radiation, remember Chernobyl? Would you like to see your child with enormous cone head 6 legs and 10 eyes?(I overreact a bit but it still a reality.)

I know we have the right to use satellite images to see landscape or whatever you want to see that you know you will never see from your own eyes and I'm the first one to use it but we also have the right to have some privacy, especially when it concern your own house and family and yourself, it's the same here for power plant, especially when it is about nuclear stuff, they should protect those site as much as they can or stop nuclear right now, which is a better idea!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ufopunx

So in a nutshell you're saying that the government should be able to control access to free information? How is using Google maps going to make robbers any more of a threat? Casing the neighborhood in a vehicle is much more effective. I don't see the government banning cars. I don't see how areal photos are a threat. A person can look at a nuclear power plant with their own eyes legally. This is just more fear mongering to restrict access to information.

Hell you can stand on the opposite bank and see three mile island with the naked eye in greater detail than you can on GE.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
We should ban road maps as well . . . they could give terrorists the directions to the place they are going to bomb.

Fail!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ShAuNmAn-X

Aerial pictures can show things that you cannot see from the outside, some entrance on the top, where some explosive stuff are stocked etc....... from there you see everything at the same time when you are on car you have to move it or go by foot to inspect some area which make you quickly someone suspect but if you do that from your home? From who will you try to hide? It's a big advantage for someone who want to do this.

I'm not saying it's the government that have to control the images but it's the software developer that have to put some limit in their program.
As a punk I know freedom in all is form is very important but people's security sometimes must go over it, and in this case that will result in not showing people's property unless they ask for it(someone may want to see his place and show it to the world) and not showing sensible building as nuclear plant.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufopunx

in this case that will result in not showing people's property unless they ask for it(someone may want to see his place and show it to the world) and not showing sensible building as nuclear plant.

I still don't agree here. If one can see it legally with their own two eyes then they should be legally able to see it from the air. I agree with xxpigxx that we might as well ban road maps. We also might as well ban the teaching of geography too because it will show potential terrorists "sensitive" information such as where our nations capital is. The key is beefing up security at the installations themselves not censoring all images of them. As i said in a previous post, this is the first step down a slippery slope when it comes to freedom of information.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'm getting really fed up with this government making every excuse to extend the heavy hand of the National Security apparatus over us. They nitpick at our freedoms in order to keep us safe? Eventually we'll be safe, locked away in a prison made of our own complacency, but safe.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I'm getting really fed up with this government making every excuse to extend the heavy hand of the National Security apparatus over us. They nitpick at our freedoms in order to keep us safe? Eventually we'll be safe, locked away in a prison made of our own complacency, but safe.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by projectvxn]

I couldn't have said it better. We are on our way to being a government controlled prison state or at least we will be if people keep standing idly by as our freedoms are erased.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If it shouldn't be seen from the air...

BUILD IT UNDERGROUND...

But don't try to act as if sight of something in the open air is a danger....

CHANGE YOUR STRATEGY...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Building underground would work but that is too easy of a solution and one that won't result in the ability for TPTB to limit more information.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

But there is somethings or some details from a property you don't need to see...

There is windows at every houses but you don't put your nose at it to look what is inside, you can watch from far to see if there is light by example in case you want to visit the owner but you don't pimp at the windows, it's the same here you can watch image from satellite but you don't spy peoples garden or nuclear plant's ground details, developers should blurry houses and other highly explosive/chemicals/nuclear plant, I think this is just common sense, I said it again it is not the government who should control that but the developers and in case people are ok to show DETAILS of their houses or garden or whatever, they may clear it up, I don't see what is wrong in that?

Also, I don't think you can see from the outside and from the ground what is happening in the whole plant and then again why would you need to look at those part of the plant? Unless you are skeptical about some stuff happening in so called disaffected army bases

Originally posted by HunkaHunkaCHANGE YOUR STRATEGY...

Yes, stop nuclear and there will be no need to worry about it!

[edit on 5-6-2009 by ufopunx]

top topics

join