It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your irrational fears & phobias show you lived past lives.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
--- H.P. Lovecraft

A phobia by definintion: An extreme fear of a particular thing or situation, especially one that cannot be reasonably explained.

Some phobias can be understood, if not entirely justified. For example, Verminophobia, the fear of Germs can be explained since certain Germs are known to cause us harm. The fear of Injections or Trypanophobia is another common one and taking into acount the pain of some injections it can also be understood.

However there are dozens of documented phobias that are extremely difficult to explain:

Anything new - Neophobia

Bathing - Ablutophobia

Flutes - Aulophobia

Books - Bibliophobia

Good news, hearing good news - Euphobia

Left-handed; objects at the left side of the body - Sinistrophobia

Mother-in-law - Pentheraphobia - Oops no wait that's a normal one!

Poetry - Metrophobia

Knees - Genuphobia

These are just a few, there are many more that I could give you but you get my point.

What I want to put to you is this: Are irrational fears and phobias caused by events or situations in past lives? Could an Ablutophobe (Bathing) have been drowned in the bath in a previous incarnation. If I was to read a poem to someone and have a fatal heart attack at that very moment would I take with me an irrational fear of poetry, that would manifest itself as Metrophobia?

Could most phobias be explained this way? I know people who have phobias of things that they have never, could never and will never come into contact with, but yet they are petrified of them nonetheless. Could the above theory explain this?

If any of you have irrational fears that you'd like to share to prove/disprove this theory it would be great.

All the best, especailly to you Phobics!

"The only thing we have to fear is fear it'self - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified, terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."
---- FDR - First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1933

[edit on 5-6-2009 by kiwifoot]

[edit on 5-6-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Are irrational fears and phobias caused by events or situations in past lives?

It is not necessary that fears and phobia are caused by events in past lives. A majority of it are due to events in present life. For example, an person who almost drowned in water and escaped by sheer luck, will have the phobia of water. All things are like that.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Phobias? Yes I have one. It is the irrational fear of heights. I'm a military brat who has flown from continent to continent many times as a kid. I got severely airsick.

Later, Lake Mead. Everyone was jumping off a cliff about 30 ft. high into the clearest water I've ever seen. I tried. And tried. But could never make myself do it even after watching everyone else jump four or five times. I kept willing myself to jump. But the body said **** NO!

Later, in basic training we were offered jump school. I didn't hesitate to take a step backward on that one! Everyone else made fun of me, called me a chicken. I didn't care. My reply then and now is, "I prefer to keep my feet planted firmly on the ground."

Later I worked downtown in a highrise. Going out in the parking garage for a smoke would be an extreme experience because the smoking area was on the 14th floor next to the edge. The only way I could do it is with my back to the wall. If I tried to look down, I'd get vertigo and the sensation that I wanted to jump. Eerie!

Later. I had a dream that I shot straight up into the air like a missle. When I realized I was looking down on earth from space, I controlled my fear and descended calmly.

Later. I had a dream about a giant ferris wheel. My son was on the seat behind me wiggling around and being a kid. I freaked out. Tried to tell him to sit still. But he fell out. Horrible!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I used to have a fear of heights, but nothing in my current life led to that (never fell from a great height).

Only reason I don't fear heights anymore is because I no longer fear death.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Later. I had a dream that I shot straight up into the air like a missle. When I realized I was looking down on earth from space, I controlled my fear and descended calmly.

You know what? Though staying on firm ground is good, the view from the top is beautiful, ever wondered why astronauts stay on their grueling training. It is because of the "view" once they reach orbit. Thats it.

So, if you are having fear of heights, the best way to overcome it is just go to any window on a hi rise building(where you feel safe) and look around, surely after some time your fear of height will dissappear.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet

You know what? Though staying on firm ground is good, the view from the top is beautiful, ever wondered why astronauts stay on their grueling training. It is because of the "view" once they reach orbit. Thats it.

So, if you are having fear of heights, the best way to overcome it is just go to any window on a hi rise building(where you feel safe) and look around, surely after some time your fear of height will dissappear.

I worked on the 25th floor of a hi-rise. The only way I could get close to the window was to exaggeratedly step one foot forward until it touched the wall, then reach out with both hands to grasp the windowframe...only then could I bring my other foot forward. Looking out was ok. But looking down gave me that weird vertigo sensation.

I was on that floor on 9/11. It terrified me to return to work for the next five years. But I keep the terror on the inside.

I'm not one to be afraid of anything strangely enough. Only heights. And I have no idea why. It doesn't make logical sense.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

But looking down gave me that weird vertigo sensation.

The first rule is that you should not look down, it creates fear even for the most fearless rope walker.

How many time have you flown in an aeroplane? Try flying in an aeroplane once, that will help a lot.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I suffered from sinophobia (i hope thats the right spelling) which is a fear of dogs, and funny this topic comes up right after another topic on past lives because when I remembered my last lifetime, I had died because of a dog that ripped my throat out. So yes, some phobias can be from past lifetimes.

When I had my past life memory, it explained my irrational fear, and the phobia didnt go away, but it was not quite as intense anymore. In fact, now, I am leary of dogs, but no longer freeze at the sight of one.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think that it is possible. Soul does not have memory, as far as i understand it. But if there is a "trauma" in leaving the body violently there might be kind of deja vu resulting in phobia.
Of course there are a lot of phobias that are gained during life-time. So i would go with:
There might be some phobias due to violent death experience in previous life. Not sure about most. Or irrational.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I am absolutely terrified of flying. I dont even like being in airports, they make me very nervous for some reason. When I have to fly it's a big deal. I have to take medicine so I dont freak out. I get really bad anxiety when I have to fly. I have no idea why I am so afraid of flying. I am 30 years old and I havent flown anywhere in 5 ot 6 years. There are many places I go where flying is cheaper but I drive. People think I am nuts. I have a huge love of France and I will probably never go there because of my fear of flying. Some say it might make me think differently and that I should go but I just wont fly. I always have dreams that I am falling from the sky, dont know if that has anything to do with it or not.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I don't like flying either. But it is more of a control issue, I can't just say "stop, pull over and let me out" like you can if a passenger of a car.

What part of flying do you fear?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I have a big fear of feet. I have no idea why but they scare the hell outta me. My friends tease me all the time. When i was younger my mom would use her feet to get me to do my chores, or something i wasn't interested in doing, like mowing the lawn.
Anyway good thread. S&F for you.

PEACE!!!

[edit on 04/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

I don't know about a fear of feet, but they are gross!

I'm just thinking, following my theory, how would you develop a fear of them? Maybe you were stomped to death, or you had a partner in a previous life with smelly feet!

Not to poke fun at you though my freind!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I don't have any irrational fears (I'm hydrophobic but that's because I drowned at age 5 and had to be resuscitated, so it's an autonomic response to a death-experience).

However, my daughter has always been deathly afraid of the vacuum cleaner ever since birth, even when it is not on. Even at age 12 she's still irrationally afraid of it. One time when she was 7 I woke up to find her standing in the hallway with the door to the utility closet open and a broom in her hand as she was poking the vacuum cleaner that was in the closet from afar while cursing under her breath. That's not normal behavior for anyone! So, I've always joked with her that she died in a tragic accident with a vacuum cleaner in a past life. She agrees that must be the case because she vehemently despises there presence, whether in use or not.

Personally, I don't believe in past lives (genetic memory on the other hand I'm convinced of). However, those irrational fears and phobias have to come from some where I suppose.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by wclv13
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I don't like flying either. But it is more of a control issue, I can't just say "stop, pull over and let me out" like you can if a passenger of a car.

What part of flying do you fear?

all of it...taking off, in the air, landing....I feel uneasy in airports just like I do hospitals.

CX

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
I have a big fear of feet. I have no idea why but they scare the hell outta me.

I had a friend in the army who had a feet phobia. I always thought he was exaggerating until i had both of my feet tattooed, i walked into his room and showed my bare feet to him.....he almost threw up!

I'm not sure i'd agree with the past life thing causing phobias. I know that if i'm scared of sharks, it's because i watched Jaws to early in THIS life. If i'm scared of getting kicked in the family jewels, it's because it's happened in THIS life...not my past life.

CX.

[edit on 5/6/09 by CX]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
When I was a child, I had repeated nightmares about collapsing bridges..... usually the wooden type that no longer exist.

In my nightmares, the bridge would begin to tremble and fall apart as I reached the middle, the car I and my parents were in would crash into the water......tho sometimes the water was only shallow.

There were no large bridges near my home, and a slim chance that I had acquired a fear of bridges from some personal experience as a small child.....I was a good bit older when I finally experienced crossing a bridge similar to those I'd dreamed about......It caused such an oppressive feeling that I had difficulty breathing and had to fight the desire to leap out of the car and run!

However, I have no problem with the concrete and steel bridges and freeway overpass type that are so common on the interstate highways.....

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I have an intense fear of any type of large cats.
Tigers, Lions and some of the smaller breeds as well.

I am an animal lover, and have been fearless of every other type of large animal,
I have been around many other types of dangerous animals up close and personal with them and have no fear.

This fear is in my dreams on a constant basis.
It's my most common dream theme since I was about 9 years old.
I think it's irrational to me as I know that I will not be around this type of animal unless I go to a zoo or wild life res.
When I was driving past the zoo in PA the other day I actually almost had a panic attack thinking "what if one just runs out right now" haha.
This isn't in the norm for me at all.

If it has anything to do with a past life I don't know.

If there are past lives, now that we are more aware of them I wonder if there would be ways to prepare ones self and do things to help them remember in their next lives, just thinking outside of the box because how dull mundane and boring is it to stay inside of it?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
reply to post by Lichter daraus

I don't know about a fear of feet, but they are gross!

I'm just thinking, following my theory, how would you develop a fear of them? Maybe you were stomped to death, or you had a partner in a previous life with smelly feet!

Not to poke fun at you though my freind!

No offence taken. i wish i knew why i was afraid of them just always have been. Maybe something bad happened with feet when i was younger no clue but it is strange none the less...

PEACE!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I had a friend in the army who had a feet phobia. I always thought he was exaggerating until i had both of my feet tattooed, i walked into his room and showed my bare feet to him.....he almost threw up!

I don't get sick, i literally freak out i run away like i little kid, heart starts racing and my palms sweat,its just an uncontrollable and automatic response.

PEACE!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join