It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is a thought as good as a deed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
do you think a thought is as good as a deed?

Some would argue that we can think what we like and it does not matter as long as we dont do the thought. I wonder about that? Do our thoughts accumulate in some astral field and manifest into a reality. Can enough people who think a thought bring that concept into existence? Are our thoughts only ours, or when we think do we also open an avenue by which God can hear us? Im gonna try not to think too much.... If I think about hating someone, can they sense my anger, do they feel like 'someones walking on their grave' when I talk about them behind their back, can they sense that I am not happy with them, even though I may live far away? Are our thoughts as good as a deed in the eyes of God? Is that what it means to walk with Christ and to be Christ like, to have a purity of thought that invites only peace?

[edit on 5-6-2009 by flashesofblue]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I certainly hope not. You have to look at this as a 2 way street. There are the good thoughts, and there are the bad thoughts. They would come equally.

I have bad thoughts from time to time. They just come up out of nowhere, for no reason. I recognize them for what they are, and dismiss them as such. So if our thoughts alone did such things, then we would be negating the element of choice. I do not have to act on all thoughts I have, my choice.

You are going to know both good and evil, and you are going to have such thoughts. But to have wisdom is to make the correct choice, so that is what matters.

Now, as far as it's the "thought that counts", yes. For example, a poor man who gives 10 cents is giving alot more than the rich man who gives $1. The rich man physically gives more money, but the poor man is giving much more a % of what he has. Thus, the thought there is what counts the most.

Yes, god hears your thoughts and such, as the father experiences all that you do and more.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
While trying to form an answer, I bumped on a 'sub'question:

Is a good thought with an accompanied good deed as worthy as a good thought accompanied by a bad deed?

Does it matter, in those cases, whether one is aware of the goodness or badness of the deed?
Or is the value of the thought completely independent?

There's a proverb hidden in this, something like:
A good thought without a deed is better than no thought at all, but nothing is worse than a good thought with a bad deed
... but not quite.. :]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hey

Interesting question.
I made the experimence that sometimes those things i see with my inner eye (Its hard to explain, let us simple say pineal gland..) or in some dreams came into my "real" life.

Its imagination.
First you see it in your thoughts, then it come to you in your Reality.
O.k, i must tell you i dont see the life as a "normal". My life was a strange as hell, guess therefor i had and have such experimences. I live a life which is like you exist in 2 worlds. A dream-world and the normality. And the one goes hand in hand with the other.
I learned, that in the dreams you can see the future. It not always happen like you see it, but mostly time it do..
In reality you can have visions about.
AND
there is a fat and:

If you learn to handle your mind, you can "build" things what you like in your mind and those will happen in reality.

Its a simple mind-question.
And yes,
our thougts are really important.
So my opinion?
Think a lot at the light, and it will come to you.
Be carefull of the dark corridors in your brain, and search for the light.

Nia Wind

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NW111

I made the experimence that sometimes those things i see with my inner eye (Its hard to explain, let us simple say pineal gland..) or in some dreams came into my "real" life.
That can happen when you have some sort of disruption in your life.
Let's sat you are used to expending so much physical energy every day and then something happens that prevents it like let's say you break your leg. All that excess energy gets redirected into mental energy and you do not sleep, except for the dreaming part and then you become very aware of your predictive powers that you were to busy to notice earlier.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Would not thought fall under the "Thy Shall Not Covet " commandments such as coveting your neighbors possessions etc. Is not coveting the thought?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

I guess everyone is going out to party, so I will reply.
Yes, how insightful of you to notice that!
It reminds me of that saying, desire for gold is the root of all evil.
Jesus said thinking about doing evil is spiritually destructive to your soul.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I would guess there is a difference between random thoughts and actively fantasizing about things. After I replied I starting thinking about the adultery stuff. I didn't really think about someone sitting around and fantasizing about things when I replied earlier. I don't do that, so it just didn't occur to me at the time. I was just thinking about those little random thoughts that are bad, which I just dismiss as a bad thought. Which would be quite a bit different than sitting around thinking/fantasizing about someone etc.

I don't see how we can really help the bad thoughts, other than to do what I said and label them as such and move on. But I can completely see how fantasizing about someone is adultry of the heart, as well as having the ability to not do it.

As it is a 2 way street, I do suppose in that way the thought can be somewhat of a good deed. Although I just can't imagine it would be the same as the action itself.

I often sit around and imagine this wave of goodness that engulfs the world and people 'wake up'. I do it almost every night that I think about it. I have no idea if it means anything or has any real effect, but I figure it can't hurt.

[edit on 6-6-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
[

Thoughts, Speech & Deed, He who, restraining the organs of action, sits thinking of the sense objects in mind, he of deluded understanding is called a hypocrite. - Bhagavad Gita Ch. 3, Verse 6

I guess you have all made good arguements however I am leaning to the assumption that the higher up the mountain we climb the further we fall

therefore if we are making every effort to stop ourselves physically from committing an act/crime or moral perversity (according to ones perception of moral perversities) and then we think of such actions in our minds, I believe that the person is deluded. Just by stopping our physical body from performing such actions and yet allowing the mind to remain fixed on the thoughts is a grand delusion and a huge form of hypocrasy ecpecially if ......the person preachers to others on the right way to behave.

this I see as going higher up the mountain of being Christ like and achieving a level of Christ consciousness. Its not saying lets be perfect like Christ, but be mindful of our thoughts.

If I was to tell someone that it is negative in the eyes of God to hate someone or to really think they are shocking enough to want to fight them, yet at the same time have thoughts of wanting to hit someone myself (even though I dont hit them) then I am a hypercrite and I feel I stand to be reprimmanded harsher than those who actually hit someone.

Disciplined thoughts.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by flashesofblue]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
As far as my understanding goes?

Good intentions with good deed= good
Good intentions with not-so-good deed= still somewhat good
Bad intentions with good deed= STILL somewhat good
Bad intentions with nothing-happened= you're safe
Bad intentions with bad deeds= bad

Both thought and deed counts.

top topics