It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals getting drunk from fruits in the jungle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Got sent this email from a friend -classic stuff!

This is a real video from a French documentary about Africa. You may or may not understand a word, but the video's a cracker. There are trees that grow in Africa which, once a year, produce very juicy fruits that contain a large percentage of alcohol.
Because there is a shortage of water, as soon as the fruits are ripe, animals come there to help protect themselves from the heat.

Link:
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Haha!
That really cracked me up

Aww bless them bet they love that time of year then i know i would! My only concern is when the predators come and the animals attempt to run away, i don't think they will have much luck and will end up flat of there faces again.

Great time for the predators too i guess like a huge buffet.

I'm an animal lover so thanks for sharing put a smile on my face

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Here in South Africa there is tree called the Marula tree that apparently does the same thing, although some say it is myth when applied to elephants:
Drunken Elephants

The fruit is delicious, and the bark is used for many medicinal remedies.

A beautiful, leafy tree that is both drought resistant and yields exceptional fruit per tree, S. birrea is highly prized in Africa. It is widely distributed from 20ºN to 30ºS, and is found in 29 countries, but few have succeeded in commercially harvesting the fruit and/or nuts. A prolific fruit bearer, one single tree can bear up to 500 kg of fruit per year; in fact an exceptional tree in Pretoria is known regularly to produce a tonne of fruit!

Marula Legends

Amarula Cream Liquor is a lovely drink. I sometimes mix it half-and-half with Jagermeister in a tot glass. A lovely smooth shooter.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The local paper where I used to live in NJ (mountains; lots of wildlife) had at least one 'drunk bear' story every year. There were alot of people in my area with private little three or four tree apple orchards on their property. With lots of those apples falling and not always getting picked up quickly, we were left with an occasional fermented apple eating bears.

Also racoons.

Other animals would get into them every now and then, but those two were all over the opportunity.

Mammals love their booze.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

My dad served his tour of duty in Panama. The monkeys there would eat the over ripened fruits and get drunk. The fermentation happened naturally, and he said that drunk monkeys would usually become more brave and belligerent.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

My dad served his tour of duty in Panama. The monkeys there would eat the over ripened fruits and get drunk. The fermentation happened naturally, and he said that drunk monkeys would usually become more brave and belligerent.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks for the replies

BFFT -theres a great vid here of a brave and belligerent monkey -don't know if its pissed up though

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This Lemur looks like its been on something -don't think its alcohol though.

Turn Volume up:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well I'm glad to see we share at least one vice with the animal kingdom.

That video was hilarious! Drunken elephants, drunken giraffes, drunken monkeys, and my personal favorite the drunken ostrich!

First time I've ever seen a drunk ostrich. Well worth the wait!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
That video was hilarious! Drunken elephants, drunken giraffes, drunken monkeys, and my personal favorite the drunken ostrich!

First time I've ever seen a drunk ostrich. Well worth the wait!

Don't forget the drunken meercats, drunken deers and drunken boars (I could be wrong but theres also looks to be a pissed up caterpiller) - the monkeys realy did crack me up though.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
xDDDDDDDDDDD Hilarious!

top topics

join