It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Objective (Horror / War) Review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
The Objective

It isn't very often you watch a film that once the credits finish you are still staring at the screen asking yourself: 'what the hell just happened, and more importantly... do I like it'?

This is one of those cases. And I like it... very much.

The Objective is a film that has some deep connections with director Daniel Myrick's signature style of horror. His most memorable film, The Blair Witch project, presented a strong and at that time relatively untapped element of horror that many films to this day can't seem to nail down.

The fear of being lost, yet knowing you are so close to safety. The feeling of being hunted, whilst not knowing what it is that hunts you. These feelings, if they can be effectively projected to the audience can evoke a unique type of fear. Once again with The Objective, Myrick hits the mark and leaves the audience in a state of shock and terror.

The story follows an elite group of soldiers under the guidance of CIA agent Keynes. They are dropped into the heart of Afghanistan only months after the September 11 attacks and are tasked with finding a local Imam who holds a spiritual leadership over the surrounding tribes.

It isn't long before the mission changes and events begin to move out of the group's control.

Without wanting to spoil the film, there are strong horror elements introduced into the second half of the film that move this movie away from the war / drama genre. There really isn't much more I can add without spoiling some key plot points. Just be assured that once these horror elements emerge, the film will have you on the edge of your seat. You won't be able to help gaining an interest into the fate of the protagonist.

The script is top class and direction is great. Casting is probably the films weakest element, but I only say that because I'm really trying hard to find something not to like about this movie.

This movie also holds a special message for the members of ATS. Once again, without spoiling the plot, there are some huge nods towards a conspiracy and phenomenon widely discussed on this website, and this particular theme leads up to the moment I mentioned in my introduction.

Overall, I can't fault this film. It actually scared me, which I proudly admit is something a movie rarely ever does.

I give it 4 spams out of 5.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Is this already out in theaters? DVD?

second line

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

DVD

Go rent it! Trust me, it is worth it.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:36 AM