It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More good stuff on Monsanto!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by gYvMessanger

Hey, it's not like that, please. Stop turning this into some kind of competition! We are in this together, against people that will do us harm. For all I care there could be a billion threads on stories of these bastards killing our health for their money, and I don't care how old they are.

S&F from me too!

Let's get em.

Bravo!!! I love it when another is awake, and another and another... Nutricide, Ecoside, Genocide $$$ Guilty Sick Greedy...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Yes, good. Another quote that shows how they talk out of both sides of their mouth...with a little background. The quote is in bold.

Note: Monsanto had also been "formally asking the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to punish dairies that label their milk "rBGH-free'" [10]. This despite the fact that Monsanto ironically states in their letter to the FTC that "milk producers and retailers certainly have the right to inform customers about the use or non-use of rBST" [11] which the FTC restates in their reply to Monsanto [12]. Also Monsanto previously stated in response to the Oakhurst issue, "Monsanto fully supports the right of people in grocery stores to make informed choices about what they purchase" [13]. Even more pointedly, former Monsanto CEO Robert Shapiro, in a 1998 interview with the State of the World Forum, asserted unequivocally (in answer to a question about the labeling of GM foods):

"One can make a reasonable argument that consumers and citizens have a right to know anything they wish to know. It is they who are choosing these products and it is they who are choosing and judging their governments. So it is almost impossible to make a case that information should be withheld from consumers.... consumers', in my view [have an] unquestioned, right to know anything they wish to know about the products they consume.... it is not my role, or Monsanto's role, to decide these things. It is society's role to decide those questions after appropriate debate" To the question "So you are open to labeling being introduced then?" Shapiro answered: "Yes. Of course" [14] (bold ours).

Apparently, however, this seeming largesse no longer extends to the right of grocery customers to know if the milk they consume or the food they buy contains GMOs. Says Monsanto's For the Record, "Some people believe it’s a right-to-know issue, and all products containing ingredients from GM crops should be labeled as such.... Mandatory labeling of food containing GM ingredients might seem like a no-brainer. However, once you consider the facts, it becomes clear there is no sense in mandatory GM labeling" [15]. The "facts" they cite are that, "To date, no approved biotech crop is either an allergen, or has any significant nutritional differences from non-GM counterparts". Some would beg to differ (see Monsanto and GM Foods: Health Risks).

sourcewatch

I have to say this whole thing, the more I research and read, makes me absolutely sick. I have read several articles about CEO's and such being psychopaths. I am convinced these are people with no conscious. Greed and status seem to be their god outwardly but I think it is a total lack of having a conscious.

God , if there is one, please help us. We are totally on or own to be aware and make the best choices regardless of expense.

I have lately learned that when resources run low that the universe comes to my aid so I will go the extra mile and go organic to the extent I can.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
No doubt, Monsanto is all about making money, regardless of the amount of damage caused to their customers or the environment. Evil indeed.

What's sad is that I believe genetically modified foods could actually work. But it would have to be done correctly and with the welfare of the world in mind. Monsanto obvious doesn't care what happens to those who use their products, and evidence of that is clearly on display in animal subjects which have been exposed to testing with their GM foods. If a company actually did thorough, diligent testing to determine if all living creatures could be better off as a result of a genetic modification, then that would be a step in the right direction.

In my opinion, the most alarming part of the Monsanto (and other similar companies) approach is that these GM plants are out in the wild now. They are blowing around freely, probably cross breeding with purely natural species, and creating new modified offspring. There is no turning back and no way to clean up the mess. Thanks to these %#$(#^@s, we live in a world where nature is not as pure and pristine as we'd like to believe and have it to be.

As I was writing this it occurred to me that there may be an even more sinister goal that they've set out to accomplish. Because they require farmers to purchase new seeds each year, and because they are able to strongarm farmers who are not already customers, eventually EVERY farm is going to be using GM seeds. When that happens (and setting aside the point I made in the previous paragraph), what fate will the actual natural versions of these plants face?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Q_Llama

I would like to make an intelligent reply but I have none. As I stated before, this whole thing makes me sick.

Support your local organic growers.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I find this topic interesting and enjoy reading through everyone's perceptions regarding Farming and Monsanto.

I have a lot of dealings with Monsanto and I am also heavily involved in Farming.

I do agree that Monsanto is not the nicest company in the world but people need to understand that somethings that Monsanto are doing is simply necessary for the future.

They do help Farmers in third world countries that are unable to grow produce effectively and help them obtain a profit from farming helping them survive i,e Cotton.

People have had the same feelings toward Stem Cell Research in the past, morally its wrong but may do more good than harm one day.

Monsanto is sure to get a few things wrong but they are one in very few that spend the time and money on R&D.

Perfecting GM will take 20-30 years.

Regarding the GM seeds not being able to be used again after planting the first crop:-
Don't blame Monsanto - Most seed companies have been doing this for many years including Seed companies in the Netherlands that are not GM.

Regarding Roundup - This product is necessary for Farming effectively and is also non harming to humans. Much safer than many other products that were used in the old days.

Organic Produce - Simply not the answer to the whole worlds food requirements, it is not sustainable and not necessary any better for you than field grown produce.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mark_Frost

If farming is done right(sustainably)there is no need for monsanto's chemicals. Or their genetically modified seeds.
Organic is AlWAYS better BECAUSE of the lack of chemicals and poisons!
And yes, its completely sustainable.
GM produce not only is deficient in certain substances, it is poisonous!
It is designed by man, therefore far from perfect. Its bastardized.
It does not have all the life sustaining properties needed for true health.
Its all about making more money for amerikas corporate rulers.
Thinking "greed is good" is 'THE' way of life here. What a shocker, eh?
We realize the're not all bad, but what is bad here is really bad!

Would like to hear more about these "dealings" with Monsterauto.
Thanks for your participation,... I hope!
As long as your not here just spreading disinfo......
GMO foods have their place, in the third world.
Cotton obviously is not ingested and is a different matter.
Informing us and giving US the choice is all we ask!

[edit on 6-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom

If farming is done right(sustainably)there is no need for monsanto's chemicals. Or their genetically modified seeds.
Organic is AlWAYS better BECAUSE of the lack of chemicals and poisons!
GM produce not only is deficient in certain substances, it is poisonous!
It is designed by man, therefore far from perfect. Its bastardized.
It does not have all the life sustaining properties needed for true health.
Its all about making more money for amerikas corporate rulers.
Thinking "greed is good" is 'THE' way of life here. What a shocker, eh?
We realize the're not all bad, but what is bad here is really bad!

Would like to hear more about your dealings with Monsterauto.
Thanks for your participation!

As a person who actually farms produce (which are not GM seeds) i can assure you that chemicals are in fact needed to prevent from virus, disease and pests depending on the area/climate you choose to grow your produce and what kind of produce you grow, some vegetable's are harder to grow than others.

I agree with your views on Organic produce but as I stated above it is not SUSTAINABLE and will not be able to cover the worlds need for food in the coming future. I understand that you choose to look at this from an American perspective being that you are from America, but this is bigger than the U.S, this is a world wide problem. The worlds population will grow to above 9 Billion in the next 20-30 years. Then take in the need for usable farming land, irrigation, global warming etc - ORGANIC grown produce just wont cut it....id rather eat GM produce than actually starve to death and I think that a lot of the worlds 3rd World countries would agree.

I am in no way defending Monsanto's actions but i believe that people's perceptions can be a little misconstrued and a lot of factual information gets thrown to the side to support points of view.

My dealings with Monsanto as a company is really irrelevant.

Below is a little bit of factual information should you be interested in reading:- Biotechnology is the use of living things to make or change products.

Biotechnology

What has come to be called "biotechnology", the genetic manipulation of agricultural products, is nothing new. Indeed, it may be one of the oldest human activities. For thousands of years, from the time human communities began to settle in one place, cultivate crops and farm the land, humans have manipulated the genetic nature of the crops and animals they raise. Crops have been bred to improve yields, enhance taste and extend the growing season.

Each of the 15 major crop plants, which provide 90 per cent of the globe's food and energy intake, has been extensively manipulated, hybridised, inter-bred and modified over the millennia by countless generations of farmers intent on producing crops in the most effective and efficient ways possible.

This tool has allowed scientists to develop a better understanding of the function, structure and evolution of plants and now, through gene technology, enabled scientists to switch off genes or copy them and move them between species.
Quick facts on Biotechnology and Crop Production

0:
Reliably documented human or animal safety issues
13:
Years farmers have planted biotech crops (1996 – 2008)
17.2%:
Decrease in environmental impact quotient (EIQ)
24:
Countries planting biotech crops
90%:
Biotech farmers whom are small, resource-poor farmers from developing countries
359,000 metric tons:
Decrease in pesticide applications
10 million metric tons:
Greenhouse gas emission eliminated through fuel savings
13.3 million:
Farmers planting biotech crops
1.8 billion litres:
Diesel fuel saved from reduced tillage or plowing
2 billion acres:

Agriculture is an interesting topic that does not get much attention! keep it up!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I* believe everyone should look into permaculture rather then just organics and if you got the backyard grow your own food and that should solve any problem.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

I see what you mean. I face the same problems on my farm, believe me. However there are always natural alternatives to chemicals.
Obviously they are squelched, hardcore!
Indeed, we survived thousands of years without monsanto!
Sounds to me like we need to do something about overpopulation and
some of these other problems before we try to bio engineer ourselves
into the next century, with little regard for mama nature.
Our intentions are usually for the better I am sure.
We just have a one little problem called human nature and its
never satisfied! We are on a path of unsustainability anyway.
To think we can genetically modify our way out of this is as bad as thinking we can modify our atmosphere so our crops will grow again!
Or thinking we already have at all, right?

If I could believe most companies actually care about peoples health
and not profits, I might have an easier time agreeing with you.
Yes, I'm in amerika, land of the greed, home of the 'fraid.
Thats too bad you wont share those 'dealings'.
Thanks for the reply and posts!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Applesandoranges

You are right about permaculture. It is the way of the future, it has to be!
Heck, even if you dont have a backyard, most everyone has a kitchen.
At least grow some herbs indoors to counteract the poison in your food!
There is always a way if you are determined enough!
That has been the way of the farmer....
You make the best of what you have.
Alot of times it's just what's needed anyway!
Thats how this country was actually tamed, not with a nintendo.(or a monsanto)
Just using an example here, fishin' for a chuckle!
Thanks for your contributions!

[edit on 6-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I am one of the people here that are relatively new to the truth of what is going on in the world. I very much appreciate the older information being posted to ats, if not for these older topics being discussed those of us new to this would be really lost.

If I didn't hate Obama enough before, him being in bed with Monsanto just makes it all the more obvious that he is not what he has tried to make the world believe.

Surely there must be something that the public can do. They are so huge that even a well orchestrated boycott would not even phase them as I suppose most of their profit comes from large corporate farms. What can we do?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Glad you asked! What else, raise your spade!
I thought this video may shed some light on what is
REALLY true freedom.
The ability to eat healthy and live right as we choose!
Nochemicalsneededbutthanksanyway.

Other good vids:
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Google Delauro

CT Congresswoman
And CT who can touch that. I can't go there.

Perfect position to make laws for the company her husband works for.
This should be pointed out to our congress.

Imagine if Tesla had married and she managed to get JP Morgan
out of the way for the US government to support alternate energy.
The Energy market was not ready for a Microsoft of energy that
actually outdid itself ever few years.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gYvMessanger
However, we all know that media isn't there to help us anymore. They are there to push a buck and this has been proven clearly in one of the best Monsanto cases ever. The great thing is that they virtually kept their names out of the trial because it was the Fox reporters suing Fox over not allowing the truth to be aired.

The crappy thing is that Fox won and the supreme court stated that no news organization is obligated to tell the truth!

That's the stuff that needs to be talked about. It doesn't flippin matter how old it is.

Ahh, there it is! The "supreme" court of the US has decided for us that the news is merely entertainment. Dare I say that we, as a collective force, should be done with the "news". Forget it. Lies. All lies. I am mad as hell. The sooner we ignore the supposed "news", the sooner it dies as all lies should. For me and my family, the closest thing to "news" is right here on ATS. I challenge you to consider the same. This is not a conspiracy site. The news IS THE CONSPIRACY! Let us wake up and speak and show truth!

Peace!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Here's an excellent video on Hulu about genetically modified food and Monsanto. It's about 1 1/2 hours long but it's definitely worth watching. "The Future of Food."

I've been buying quite a bit of organic food and going to farmers' markets, but now I'm committed to buying organic food for as long as I can afford it. Boycotting genetically modified is something I can do. The more people who do that, the less power they have.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Thank you Dodadoom for bringing this to my attention!

Permaculture, gardening, and energy independence are the first steps to self sufficiency. And of course, self sufficiency = Independence.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Thanks for the posts and great info!
I appreciate the help getting this out there.
I been wanting to thank you all and I could
wait no longer to do so.
I am glad you are aware, as I am.
Gives me hope for mankind's ultimate survival.
I owe you big time for that.
We are resourceful and will get by somehow.

Everyone needs another perspective anywho!
I appreciate all the different ones here.
Just when you think you've heard it all about M,
you hear more....

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Despite us here at ATS being a drop in the ocean, I think it is optimistic to think that if someone googles this topic, that it should show up. Thus, realizing the purpose of ATS.

Dodadoom. I thought of a nice reply in your thread earlier but I thought it deserved its own thread. I watched a show on permaculture a while back on the Veria channel. It was amazing. Here it is: www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=6465920#pid6465920

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

It does make you wonder doesn't it?
It is really cool to bounce things back and forth.
I agree, it deserves its own thread!(actually several)
I am glad you put it up! Count me in to help.
It is fascinating and should be required watching!
I hope we will no longer be the minority one day, and I also hope
on that day maybe our country will be a place to be proud of again.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Yes to be the majority would be amazing!
I definitely think it is possible, given the surface area of the earth and and the amount of that which is land.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join