It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symbols of a ancient people?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I've done some moderate research with Google and other related items to discover what the meaning of these symbols are, assuming they are original and genuine. But I still am not able to come to conclusive terms on what they mean or resemble as a whole. Come to find out, the area described has some amazing history and there are some amazing stories. Here are the pics I am so stumped on, please, any assistance would be hugely, immensely appreciated.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4721b33ee269.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7f35549c723a.gif[/atsimg]

The original website they came from:
Manti Glyphs

Any Ideas?
I've also been in the cave next to these glyphs and it isn't much but there is a lot of theory about the area so any help or comments would be loved....

[edit on 4-6-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I have to say first that I haven’t read the whole page you sited, however I'll throw a bone out there.

The first symbol resembles almost perfectly the Egyptian Ankh. There are some earlier possible orgins of the Ankh and it's tie in to the modern Caduceus etc that are quite interesting as a starting point.

Through my years of reading I've come to accept the belief that we were preceded by a global seafaring civilization. I shy away from the use of the word "Atlantis" but it is as good a word as any for the unknown. Just don’t take Plato or Cayce as the end all be all but merely tidbits.

That being said, the carvings are admittedly of dubious origin as stated by the author. I would also add that at first glance they appear rather freshly carved, you'll notice any other depressions or holes in the rock face are weathered and dirty etc.

I think that we ("official" archeologists) are rather set in their ways. They are often more concerned with their grant money than rocking the boat and presenting outlandish ideas. Dont take my skepticism as not being interested in their meaning. I'm a firm believer in truth from myth i.e. The Flood, The Tower of Babel etc. I just don’t take them literally.

Perhaps it is ancient graffiti? "For a Good Time Call Amun-Ra" :-)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by whiskeypoet

Thank you for the input!
Personally some of the information described on the website seems rather ridiculous to me. I have been doing some research about Spanish signs and other signs in regards to landmarks for treasure and the like. Yeah every so often I like a good hike to see what I can't find.

I personally don't know how old they are but do know that they have been here since before I was around. I have been to see these symbols personally even when I was a kid and as they might be fresh there are some other ones on the other side of that small ravine. Maybe I'll take some pics of them as they look much older. The circle with the dot in the center, according to what I read, seemed to mean the sun and the last sign, according to what I was told by another teacher, meant "valley". Just trying to get some other views from those more educated on the topic, as I am not so.

I'm not entirely sure as I understand, to a extent, why people create hoaxes and the like but for the sake of these carvings being real, and for my own personal boredom, I'll keep trying to figure this out, if possible anyway. Thanx again!

[edit on 4-6-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Here is my expert translation:

38 Females inside cave...Make U turn NOW!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
bismarcksea,

Depending upon your libido that may sound like a good thing :-)

N3krostatic,

I'll take your word for them not being fresh. I would also add that they may have been traced over or re-carved to provide emphasis. That being said, I'm a firm believer that many an ancient Odysseus left their quiet coasts and harbors in search of fame, fortune and glory, or perhaps as bismarcksea might say, to get away from a nagging wife :-)

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

The circle with a dot in the centre is called a circumpunct. It's an extremely old symbol and has been used to symbolize everything from the sun to the control of emotion.

The figure eight resembles the infinity symbol, but I don't think I have seen it with the dots before.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by DaisyAnne]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
In would be very difficult to identify and interpret these symbols without a frame of reference. In the article itself, there is an indication of an artefact that has "writing" on it but these are quite dissimilar in form to the carvings presented here.

Without a frame of reference we could see where they "pop up" elsewhere but that just leads to hopeless conjecture. As an example, I have included some alchemical references that make use of such symbols:

(1) Ankh - Apart from the obvious association with the "Ankh" as a symbol of eternal life, in alchemy it may also refer to sulphur. In general sulphur is the symbol for the omnipresent spirit of life. In slightly different forms it can represent Wisdom which in turn is related to Athena/Minerva also commonly associated with the Number 7. Unfortunately, it can also relate to Aphrodite/Venus. Suggesting that the symbol means that the text is Egyptian is to assume that the symbol is an "Ankh" rather than a discrete but similar symbol.
(2) "3" - Latin texts of around the turn of the first millenium sometimes presented the numeral "3" in exactly this fashion, also as presentation of the trinity however it is unlikely to be a "3". In the mirrored form it can represent silver. The symbol represented is unlikely to be either.
(3) "Infinity" - The vertical "8" symbol which has been associated with infinity is probably a symbol in its own right or simply presented with dots to differentiate it from the Arabic Numeral for eight which would denote an earliest age. In the upright form it is commonly associated with Venus and copper but also as a vessel of transformation; infinity also representing an undefinable period in which change inevitably occurs.
(4) Circumpunct - Commonly associated with the Sun, also with gold. In early Christian symbolism it represented the Eye of God (or Providence), not in a literal sense but the act of watching over humankind.
(5) "U" - This may refer to the concept of "beauty" which in a spiritual context means "perfection" and is the ultimate incarnation of Godhood. Sometimes it is presented with a circle encapsulated within the base of the "U". In itself, this may be representative of the horns of Hathor who in turn may be represented by Aphrodite/Venus also commonly associated with the Number 5.

Basically, without a frame of reference and with so few characters to analyse it might mean anything. The information I give above is simply referential to illustrate a point and not decisive in any shape or form.

Some of the symbols have arrangements in the commonly referenced Zodiacal symbols but this is also probably just accidental. This is interesting but I am not sure where it all leads, probably in circles!

If the symbols were added by invading Spanish then that could explain the encoding - that is "hidden treasure" which was to be seen as a marker but this is a bit of a romantic concept.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by SugarCube]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It means that someone within the past 50 years has come along and inscribed graffiti on the rock.

Ancient rock art symbols are faded and eroded. These are in an area with a lot of rainfall, so if they were truly a thousand years or more older you wouldn't be able to see them unless you got up very close to them.

They'd be as faded as these from Black Canyon:
www.petroglyphs.us...

Sooo... they mean that someone who liked the ankh symbol has been around and carving stuff there.

What about the rest of the items on the page?

I'm a little suspicious of the "temple" and other items. The "offering bowls" he identifies are areas for grinding seeds and nuts (as you can see from here: desertgazette.com... ... and from many other places.) The first item under "sources unknown" is not one I'm familiar with, but the second is clearly very modern in origin (note the horse there and the bright colors.)

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Never trust a researcher that cites Rex Gilroy ( example )as a reputable source. He's the guy that discovered a cave in Australia that he claims is Alexander the Great's lost grave. He does make an enjoyable read. The 'libation pot' in Japan is from the misidentified undersea Japanese pyramid. So we've got a guy using inaccurate or plain wrong sources to support his own-according to Byrd- inaccurate or plain wrong identification of modern symbols. There's more to read (and good photos) here

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Thank you all for your input!!!
I appreciate it much. Personally I think Atlantis and pyramids or temples being in the area described are kind of ridiculous. My mind has wandered but I just wanted to see if there was some possible translation for the symbols.

But as stated it seems they are fake, and if that is the case they probably don't have a translatable meaning.

However the glyphs on the other side of the ravine are older and harder to see. I think I will take some pictures of them and post them to get some input in a few days. Thanks again!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

Thank you for the info!
We have sulfur springs just outside of town as a matter of fact.

My mind wanders again..

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
The presence of an Ankh like inscription itself gives it away that it is not an ancient inscription, but like Byrd has pointed out someone eteched/carved these symbols.

Arabic Numerals (which is what we call the present day numerical system, which in fact is also wrong since it originated from India) were not known to prehistoric indians of the Americas.

My observation -
a. just plain graffiti
b. deliberate inscription in the last 100 years by fraudsters...there were loads of frauds trying to link up to ancient mysteries.

new topics

top topics

join