It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epidemics Everywhere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Whats going on out there, we have epidemics all over the place.

Swine Flu which is everywhere

AIDS disease in china
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Measles Outbreak in Germany
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Measles Outbreak in England
hisz.rsoe.hu...

In Australia a Letter went out to the kids yesterday telling them to stay home for 7 days if they have travel overseas and also a warning of Measles spreading ( i have not found a new source yet.)

Reading about it is making me sick.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Let us start with the definition of the word "epidemic": a widespread outbreak of an infectious disease where many people are infected at the same time

That said, you can say that there is a Common Cold Epidemic, Common Flu Epidemic etc sweeping the globe as well.

The so-called swine flu is of concern (though blown out of proportion due to being misnamed and sensationalized in my opinion) because there is not currently a vaccine for it. I urge you to look up the numbers for those who have died this year alone from the common influenza virus (influenza B) vs. the H1N1 variety mislabeled as "swine flue".

It is my opinion that your perception of "epidemics" all over the place is due to the attention that the H1N1 has been receiving in the media i.e. oversaturation.

Viruses are life forms that precede us and will surely follow us. They desire to live and procreate very virulently (pardon the pun). As long as humans come into contact with other humans viruses will be spread and thrive, though washing hands and being sanitary help :-)

Some believe that it is viruses themselves which spur evolution by changing our DNA gradually over time... food for thought.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by whiskeypoet

Its not just the swine flu its everything popping up all of a sudden.
Measles outbreak in 2 countries possibly 3
Aids like virus is China
all in the last day or 2

and i just came across from the 28/05/09 -
Scientists Find New 'Ebola' Like Virus in Africa - www.foxnews.com...

maybe im out of tune with it all, but it seems like alot going on, on top of The Swine Flu

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I only used the H1N1 virus as an example. I think you will find that especially in areas with extreme poverty (China, Africa etc) that there are constant outbreaks. If you are looking for it, you will find it. I'm not saying it's not worth paying attention to, I'm just saying you may have experienced the specter of rampant disease for the first time.

She has haunted us always.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I don't think it's just that your focusing in on it. I think you're becoming aware of what's going on. Check out Self-organizing Criticality.

There's endless possibilities to why all these epidemics are showing up. Evolution is accelerating. First step, disease.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I don't think it's just that your focusing in on it. I think you're becoming aware of what's going on. Check out Self-organizing Criticality.

There's endless possibilities to why all these epidemics are showing up. Evolution is accelerating. First step, disease.

I agree.

Add to it the frequency and distance that average humans travel, spreading diseases across cultural barriers faster than ever before.

Also consider Reverse Darwinism. When an outbreak attacks the human species, normally it will kill off a percentage of the population, but those that survive it, the strongest of the species, develop an immunity to it, and pass on that immunity to their descendants, making our species stronger. However, with the prolific use of Antibiotics, Immunizations, and Vaccinations in modern society, we are reversing that process, and in our compassion to save a few dozen, hundred, or thousands of lives, we kill off the majority of the micro-organisms, but those that survive are stronger and immune to treatment, only to return to lead to potentially millions of deaths a few decades later. Some of these strains are already catching up to us. The current worldwide TB epidemic that is resistant to all treatments could lead to possibly billions to die in the next decade is but a single example of this.

Lastly, when you consider that not only does every Bio & Pharmaceutical company on the planet has their fingers in researching and engineering communicable diseases, but the skills and lab equipment to engineer these are available to every Third World Nation or suburban home dweller with a garage or basement, and it's no surprise to find rogue diseases that have been let lose inadvertently, or even intentionally.

I'm not ruling out Divine Intervention but until we have plagues of Locusts, Frogs, and the rivers run red with blood, I'm not going to find any of it particularly odd.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Remember, as well, that disease follows war, mass-migration of people and overpolulation, leading to enchroachment on disease vectors that might not otherwise have infected humans.

Deforestation leads to Ebola, Lassa, etc.

War and refugee movement always goes hand in hand with diesease, whether it's the Justinian plague (which may have been measles, smallpox or bubonic); the Black Death (during the Hundred Years War between England and France), with the subsequent decimation of the Italian banking system; HIV spreading in Africa as roads were built through jungles to unite West with East coasts, along trucking routes, and through civil wars and wars for independence from colonial leaders, etc.

I agree that you can find them anywhere. The Earth has and will always, self-correct, in the form of weather events due to climate change (the Little Optimun changing to the Little Ice Age in 1320 led to influenza, earthquakes, and a new, highly virulent strain of plague); trade spreads disease. Ignorance and denial spread it. Economy spreads it. Not to sound too Marxist here (because I'm not, but there's an interesting explanation in some of his work): those who have the materials and the ability to use them, do so. Those who don't generally are left behind. The materialism of the present global state makes the Earth rife for any and all epidemics or pandemics that can gain a foothold- and they do- easily.

I think H1N1 has shed light on that, and perhaps that's one reason so many are afraid to admit it's presence- it forces us to take a look at the bigger picture- and THAT makes people uncomfortable.

We, as a species, will certainly die out at some point, but the Earth will carry on, as she always has. It's not a comfort now, when we see so many ill and/or dying, but in a small way, it comforts me.

Stay well, my friend, and keep history's lessons close.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by whiskeypoet

Whiskeypoet-

You're not far off about viral changes to DNA. I believe most molecular biologists concur that the majority of our "junk DNA", i.e., the 97% of DNA that have no coding regions that are identical in people, and are highly variable throughout life (jumping genes, transposons, ets.,)--- or INTRONS, rather than exons, which code for the proteins needed to make organs, cells, etc.--- are in fact retroviral information from evolutionary processes- they became a part of the information we carry in our genes- and can act as oncogenes; they can provide diversity in phenotypes between family members, etc. So- good call with your comment.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by CultureD]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

"At Home in the Universe" by Stuart Kauffman, a computational biologist at the Santa Fe Institute, describes complexity theory in biology brilliantly, and sheds light on what seems like chaos in biological- and other- systems as self-organizing complexity- or criticality as you called it.

Great read, and relevant to this discussion!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Humans have always considered them selves the top of the food chain.

Well, they are mistaken.

Microbial life, especially Bacterium and Submicroscopic parasites (viruses)
Are, and will always be, the top of the food chain and it looks like the little critters are working over time to rid the planet of human kind.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Dengue Fever

Here is another one of serious concern and looks to be moving along rapidly.

wwwn.cdc.gov...

"In 2009, several areas of Central and South America have seen rising cases of dengue fever:

Argentina: As of May 19, 2009, the Ministry of Health has reported over 25,000 dengue cases and 5 deaths. The provinces most affected are Catamarca and Chaco.

Bolivia: As of May 20, 2009, over 59,900 suspected cases of dengue have been reported, and 25 deaths from dengue hemorrhagic fever. For additional information, listen to this podcast from the World Health Organization (WHO).

Brazil: Over 226,500 suspected cases of dengue and 87 deaths were reported through April 15, 2009. The state of Bahia has been particularly hard hit, with over 56,000 reported cases.

Mexico: On April 24, 2009 the Secretary of Health for the Mexican state of Sinaloa reported 255 cases of dengue.

Paraguay: As of May 20, 2009, the Ministry of Health has confirmed over 3,000 dengue cases, of which over 1,100 are from the Central department..
Since the beginning of 2009, cases of dengue have been increasing in the Pacific region:

Australia: As of May 5, 2009, Queensland Health reported 993 confirmed cases of dengue fever in the northern part of that state, which is located in northeastern Australia. Additionally, it was reported on March 4, 2009, that an elderly woman in the city of Cairns became the first dengue-associated death from this outbreak.

French Polynesia: As of April 12, 2009, just over 300 cases of dengue have been confirmed on the islands of Tahiti, Tahaa, Bora-Bora, Raiatea, Moorea, Tahaa, and Ua Pou.

Malaysia: As of May 11, 2009, health officials have reported over 19,200 dengue cases and 48 deaths from dengue fever.

In 2009, Saudi Arabia has also been reporting dengue cases in areas popular with travelers, including Jeddah and Mecca.

Dengue is transmitted in regions throughout the tropics and subtropics. Although dengue transmission often occurs in both rural and urban areas, dengue infections are most frequently reported from urban settings. See Dengue Fever from CDC’s Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases and the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Dengue webpage for more information on dengue and updates on worldwide activity."

wwwn.cdc.gov...

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Mumps cases rising in parts of Europe: experts
Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 11:21 in Paleontology & Archaeology

LONDON (Reuters) - Mumps has made a resurgence in parts of Europe in the past year with outbreaks in Britain, the Balkans and Moldova, health experts said Wednesday.

Read the whole article
esciencenews.com...

[edit on 8-6-2009 by azureskys]

top topics

join