It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun-loving pastor to his flock: Piece be with you

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Gun-loving pastor to his flock: Piece be with you

news.yahoo.com

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – A Kentucky pastor is inviting his flock to bring guns to church to celebrate the Fourth of July and the Second Amendment.

New Bethel Church is welcoming "responsible handgun owners" to wear their firearms inside the church June 27, a Saturday. An ad says there will be a handgun raffle, patriotic music and information on gun safety.

"We're just going to celebrate the upcoming theme of the birth of our nation," said pastor Ken Pagano. "And we're not ashamed to say that there was a strong belief in God and firearms — without that this country wouldn't be here.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well i think this is a first, here we have a direct invitation to members of this pastor's congregation to bring their firearms to church! Religion and guns anybody? In Kentucky it seems this is ok. I'd participate in this if it were done in my area and as the article says there will be security so safety shouldn't be a concern, I hope they have a great time and I wouldn't mind seeing this sort of thing happen more frequently. Any thoughts on the matter?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

... as the article says there will be security so safety shouldn't be a concern...

Are they going to have as many security agents as people with guns? That is just baffling. I'm sure they are having security there just to appease the people that would make a big deal out of it.

I'm under the impression that if you are armed that is your security. After all you can take all the same class that the cops and FBI take to be just as proficient with the weapon.

Either way I think this is good, people need to stop being afraid of firearms and start using some sense and realize that people are the bad guys not guns.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Yes security will be present and all weapons need to be unloaded, they will also be discussing firearm safety and playing patriotic music. The pastor a former marine handgun instructor will most likely be speaking on safety issues as well, besides an insurance issue, I read that safety is a key focus here.

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
Either way I think this is good, people need to stop being afraid of firearms and start using some sense and realize that people are the bad guys not guns.

Well put, just well put! a hundred stars for you if I could.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
There is a pastor in New York named the Rev. Gene Profeta who carries a gun to church. Believe it or not Jessica Hahn was his church secretary in the early 1980s.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This sounds like my vision of hell. Christians, right-wingers, packing heat, all in some kind of combined jesus americana frenzy. But by all means they have the right to do it. I just wouldn't want to attend. Hope they don't "accidentally" set fire to their church.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm not advocating pastors arming there selves, but look at all of the church violence lately, it's bull poo and I feel these people are fed up and maybe trying to make some sort of statement, now as to what that statement is? your guess is as good as mine.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
There is a pastor in New York named the Rev. Gene Profeta who carries a gun to church. Believe it or not Jessica Hahn was his church secretary in the early 1980s.

It's a shame for any pastor to feel the need to carry while in church, it's also a shame that the relative safety that the churches have provided is seemingly being shattered.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
That sounds like something straight out of a Madea play. How about Madea Goes to Church!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This I have no problem with, it's a celebration of a cherished right and a one-time deal. More power to the pastor and his flock!

Peace

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I wonder how Jesus Christ would view his house of sanctuary, peace and praise to God becoming a place where implements of death were to be displayed and also worshiped in a way?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Something tells me that the church members are not "worshiping" the firearms in any way, Firearms are nothing more then a tool, it's the people who control them that matters.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
This I have no problem with, it's a celebration of a cherished right and a one-time deal. More power to the pastor and his flock!

Peace

Don't you mean ...

Piece ?

Certainly not Peace....

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by Dr Love

Peace

Don't you mean ...

Piece ?

Certainly not Peace....

Why not peace? are you saying that the presence of firearms denotes a lack there of?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
reply to post by whaaa

Something tells me that the church members are not "worshiping" the firearms in any way, Firearms are nothing more then a tool, it's the people who control them that matters.

Then why are they bringing them into Gods house? What kind of a statement is this to be brought up in the context of religion?
Is this an effort at recruitment for the coming revolt against the government?

Is this a show of power of some sort to intimidate someone?

[edit on 5-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It's a peaceful event honoring the second amendment, there's no indication of preparations for a revolt of any kind. Where would you get that idea? Unloaded weapons, security, come on now.

Edit to add, and why should decent god fearing people abstain from owning firearms anyways?

[edit on 5-6-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
reply to post by whaaa

Edit to add, and why should decent god fearing people abstain from owning firearms anyways?

I have no idea how you construed my post to mean that. For your information I am very well armed myself; but it seems almost a sacrilege to bring weapons into the House of the Lord. I just don't know what message we are supposed to get from that kind of event in a place ment for the praise of Christ. Can guns glorify his Holy Name?

[edit on 5-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This makes baby Jesus cry. Firearm wielding represents opposite values from Chritianity. True Christians only take bullets, they don't fire them.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by earthman4

Really? what was the crusades about then? a peaceful way to spread Christianity?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
You guys are aware the some churches, particularly mega churches have armed security guards and that the Washington National Cathedral in DC has it's own armed police force. I also believe that Westminster Abbey in London, UK does as well.

Did you also know that in colonial America it was a matter of routine to attend religious services with firearms at the ready because the "peaceful" Indians and their French allies had a nasty habit of attacking while church was in session?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join