It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama admits U.S. role in 1953 Iranian coup

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Obama admits U.S. role in 1953 Iranian coup

www.calgaryherald.com

U.S. President Barack Obama made a major gesture of conciliation to Iran on Thursday when he admitted US involvement in the 1953 coup which overthrew the government of Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadegh.

"In the middle of the Cold War, the United States played a role in the overthrow of a democratically elected Iranian government," Obama said

The CIA, with British backing, masterminded the coup after Mossadegh nationalised the oil industry, run until then in by the British-owned Anglo-Iran
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Why Do They Attack Us:

I'm very glad that Obama broke out the news.

I've even said the same many times here on ATS and people like blueorder or dooper called me insane saying that the U.S. overthrew Iran and installed the Shah.

Maybe many people will understand things further and why we are all in danger.

Finally!

www.calgaryherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
He has been attacked by many people over his speech.

I don't like Obama much at all and hate almost ALL of his policies.

But damn...give credit where it is due. I've seen many just trashing this and I don't understand why no one wants the war to end?

We need peace. I thought he did a good job...even though there are still bombs dropping in the distance. I don't know what people were expecting him to say....but he was trying to bridge the gap of the strongly religious minded.

He also talked about Martin Luther King and how change can happen peacefully.

We need some common sense and learn to live with each other and our differences!

And on top of that...we don't have the money..we're destroying our economy and we need to fix our problems at home.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by David9176]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Hate to say, but it's been known since before Obama said so.

Iranian Coup

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Mekanic]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Of course it's been known
But too many sheeple never believed it or the source of the info

I mean go here
washingtontimes.com...

Look at everyone's comments

I can't believe my eyes
People are so pro-no accountability

Everyone who wants to believe their govt. is not corrupt wishes to stay in this state of blindness

Remember the matrix, when that guy with the goatee told the agent that he doesn't want reality and wants to go back into the matrix because perhaps ignorance is bliss?

Same type of people writting those comments
So very true!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Yea, I suppose. Caught me off guard though, seeing this posted as news. I read about this a few years ago while sitting on the pooper reading one of Uncle John's toilet books.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
But damn...give credit where it is due.

Where is it due? We should give him credit for telling the truth and recognizing an unchallenged and irrefutable established historical fact?

When he admits the U.S. role in the 9/11 attacks, get back with me. I'll give him credit then.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

That's insane
that's never goign to happen
if it does I owe you 100 beers lol

Even if it's fact do you know how many people would refuse to believe it?

This will help people to understand the root of terroism

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I thought this was common knowledge. Oh well good on Obama to make it public and official. Although I hate some thing he's doing domestically, I can't complain about his international work so far.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Where is it due? We should give him credit for telling the truth and recognizing an unchallenged and irrefutable established historical fact?

That's not what I was refering to...i was talking about the speech in general man...not specifically the Iran coup.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The United States government has done many things covertly in the world post WWII. Before WWII we were mostly a protectionist/isolationist country.

After WWII, the CIA was created and this country became in the Cold War. The CIA, NSA, and US covert military branches did many things to accomplish two goals:

a) To prevent the spread of communism, and
b) To protect US fiscal and economic interests abroad.

If you are from Iran, Vietnam, several South American countries and others, you have a rightful gripe about US foreign interventionism. However, these activities were always conducted with the best interest of the US in mind. Agree or disagree if you like, but that is the facts.

This type of activity has been carried out by the former USSR, UK, France, Germany, and every other powerful nation in this World's history.

For the US President to apologize for this Country's past conduct is atrocious. Why not apologize to Japan for nuking them, apologize to Mexico for taking California and Texas by force, apologize to the Native Americans for taking their land, apologize to the Chileans for rigging their elections, etc...

This is just another step towards Obama's goal of diminishing this Country. This is Change I can really believe in.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Finemann wrote...

For the US President to apologize for this Country's past conduct is atrocious. Why not apologize to Japan for nuking them, apologize to Mexico for taking California and Texas by force, apologize to the Native Americans for taking their land, apologize to the Chileans for rigging their elections, etc...

The irony gods are rolling on the floor laughing their a"es off.

Apparently, acknowledging and apologizing for ATROCITIES our government committed is ATROCIOUS!

[edit on 4-6-2009 by milesp]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
i thought that this was already well known to anyone who looked at that event for more than 3 seconds. i guess him saying is his attempt at an apology?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't see why you guys are getting excited because he admitted our very well known role in the 1953 Iranian coup (sounds like a bad car).

It would be like the UFO guys getting excited if he admitted there is an area 51 even though it is common knowledge.

You can find this knowledge in novelty books as a previous poster has stated. I believe it was in Uncle Johns Bathroom Reader Volume 6. Its not as if it is top secret info.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by milesp

Atrocity? Do you know the definition of the word?

Enormous wickedness; extreme heinousness or cruelty.
Webster's Dictionary.

Over throwing a government that nationalized the oil production in order to protect US and European interests in keeping the price of oil stable may be a bit nasty to Iran, but certainly not an atrocity.

Nuking Japan, certainly an atrocity, however, an invasion would have been far more damaging to Japan as a whole and would have cost more American lives.

Bottom line, every nation acts in its own best interest, and no nation should apologize for that. People want to live in America because they expect the US Government to do things to protect them. This protection is not just from invasion, its to ensure economic stability.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

This protection is not just from invasion, its to ensure economic stability.

You're kidding right?

I don't see any ECONOMIC STABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fighting in three countries and an economy that is falling to pieces? The borders are still unprotected...many of our good jobs have left the country because of NAFTA...the debt is completely out of control...not to mention our Constitution is constantly crapped on.

Come on man.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
The United States government has done many things covertly in the world post WWII. Before WWII we were mostly a protectionist/isolationist country.

After WWII, the CIA was created and this country became in the Cold War. The CIA, NSA, and US covert military branches did many things to accomplish two goals:

a) To prevent the spread of communism, and
b) To protect US fiscal and economic interests abroad.

If you are from Iran, Vietnam, several South American countries and others, you have a rightful gripe about US foreign interventionism. However, these activities were always conducted with the best interest of the US in mind. Agree or disagree if you like, but that is the facts.

This type of activity has been carried out by the former USSR, UK, France, Germany, and every other powerful nation in this World's history.

This is just another step towards Obama's goal of diminishing this Country. This is Change I can really believe in.

How did all of those foreign incursions turn out? If a single one of them turned out well, you may have a point but all of them were utter pathetic and embarrassing failures.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

There's a difference in acting for self interests, and protecting interests for yourself.

Instead of overthrowing a government and plunging an entire nation into turmoil so 'you' can control their oil..

why not back their people and government and INVEST with them.
This way you get your oil and you help a nation live.

.... i suppose the only self interest you miss out on is the profits.

which of course, US government led corporations clearly favour over everything else.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
reply to post by milesp

Atrocity? Do you know the definition of the word?

Enormous wickedness; extreme heinousness or cruelty.
Webster's Dictionary.

Over throwing a government that nationalized the oil production in order to protect US and European interests in keeping the price of oil stable may be a bit nasty to Iran, but certainly not an atrocity.

I would argue that the act of orchestrating a coup of a democratically elected foreign government is, in fact, wicked, heinous, and cruel to the people of that country and is therefore, an atrocity.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Not to mention this CIA Manifest Destiny is exactly which has destabilized the modern world, completely #ed the US abroad, and is exactly why we have so many enemies today. Good you got 30 years of oil, and now you have a completely unstable region, an entire religion that hates us, and a rogue nation with nukes that's got a grudge. Yeah that really worked out sweet for us didn't it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join