It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your "Top 5" Television Characters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
What are your top 5 television characters of all-time?

Allow me to begin.

5. Peter Griffin: (Family Guy) This is one of the funniest shows ever on television that is carried by some tremendous writing for the show. The "star" of the show and main character is Peter Griffin. The Homer Simpson's of television certainly paved the way for a charachter like this, but Peter Griffin takes that limit and only pushes it further.

4. Will Smith: (Fresh Prince of Bel Air) This is one I was torn on and hesitant to place on my list. But I do so and here is why. This wasn't the very first show to display a black family as one of wealth and power, but I do believe it was one of the first to display it and deal with the issue of race relations. There are several episodes throughout this series, especially in the early seasons, that dealt with these issues and done so in a way that the viewer may have not even been aware. A few years ago I bought the first season of this show on DVD and I was really taken back with some of the serious issues that it dealt with. This really was a great show that had great success on the shoulders of Will Smith. And a combination of great laughs, great story lines and dealing with real issues in a classy manner, I give Smith the nod on this list.

3. Cosmo Kramer: (Seinfeld) Any explanation required? This show has been running in syndication since it left the air and will stand the test of time, unlike most television shows. Even those that never watched an episode of Seinfeld, most will know the character of Kramer. From his ability to charm the women or his inability to restrain himself, few characters on television brought more laughs to the viewer than this one.

2. Frank Barone: (Everybody Loves Raymond) played by the late Peter Boyle, this is one of those rare shows that the charachters stayed true to themselves through the duration of the series. They didn't have to change gears midway through in order to keep the audience interested. Frank Barone was the father of Raymond in the show and was the typical "father" and "grand father" type character of his generation. Again, a character like Archie Bunker certainly paved the way and might be even more deserving of a spot on my list, but given that show was before my time, I give the nod here to Frank Barone, aka Peter Boyle.

1. George Costanza: (Seinfeld) at one time, I would have listed George as my most hated character on television. But the more and more I watched episodes of Seinfeld, the more I began to appreciate the individual and what was brought to the show. I really believe that you could have pulled any of the other 3 main characters out of the show and at least attempted to move forward. But without George, the show really falls on it's face in my opinion. Now the kicker in that statement is that the show is named after Jerry, so that would naturally present an issue. But you get what I'm saying I'm sure.

"She was like 'Georgee! Why??', and I was like 'because it's there!"

Honorable Mentions: Joey Tribbiani (Friends), Zack Morris (Saved by the Bell), Stewie Griffin (Family Guy), Lenny Biscoe (Law & Order), Jack McCoy (Law & Order)

EDIT: title, for easier search

[edit on 5-6-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
BASIL FAWLTY-Fawlty Towers

George Costanza dad - Seinfeld (serenity now and festivus)

SPIKE-Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Guis Baltar -Battle Star Gallactica

Dr Who _Tom Baker and the last two incarnations

EDIT TO ADD: I want to include family guy and Homer but I have reached my limit

[edit on 4-6-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Jack Regan - The Sweeney.

The original hard British copper. Before him British policemen had always been portrayed as stereotypical gentlemen, Regan was 'as it was'.
DCI Gene Hunt in Ashes To Ashes and Life On Mars is Regan re-incarnated.
Apparently a 2009 version of The Sweeney is rumoured with Ray Winstone mooted to play Regan.
en.wikipedia.org...

Data - Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Brent Spiner is great in his role of Data.
Data is a natural progression from Spock in the original series but as the programme developed through several series Spiner was able to show his broad range in acting abilities.
en.wikipedia.org...(Star_Trek)

Oz - Auf Wiedersehen Pet

The series caught a moment in time perfectly.
Jimmy Nail as Oz stole the show though and provided so many quality moments.
en.wikipedia.org...

Frank Gallagher - Shameless

Frank is a modern day legend and his little pearls of wisdom are classics.
Shameless will one day be recognised as an iconic series which has caught a certain zeitgeist.
en.wikipedia.org...(Shameless)#Frank_Gallagher

Arthur Daley - Minder
Denis Waterman was great as Terry McCann but George Cole stole the show as the London spiv with no bottle.
A timeless classic; British TV at it's best.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Stewie, Family Guy - Peter is the typical cartoonish version of the Honeymooners, All in the Family, etc. patriarch, but Stewie is original and makes the show.

Walter, Fringe - Walter is the only real reason to watch this X-Files wannabe show. One minute, he's unravelling the mysteries of the Universe, the next, he wants a sandwich or is fascinated by heated car seats...

Sheldon, Big Bang Theory - While the whole cast and premise are great, Sheldon makes the show.

George, Seinfeld - Without George, there's no reason to watch this show, even with Kramer.

Ben Linus, Lost - Now this is a tv villain for the ages!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Since some of my choices are mentioned, I'm adding 5 new ones

Archie and Edith Bunker - comedic, ground breaking genius

Alex P Keaton - 80's greed/young republican mockery at its finest

Russell Tupper - Huff's drug addled best friend (Oliver Platt's finest role, ever)

Jack Bauer - he does what needs to be done, suffers his own inner turmoil and plods along. and kicks serious butt in the process. no need for clips

Tommy Gavin - without a doubt, one of the best roles TV has ever seen. Acted to perfection by Dennis Leary.

for 24 and rescue me, simply head over to hulu and check em out.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
1. Q, John de Lancie

You gotta love Q, hes Omnipotent, dangerous, witty and playful. de Lancie's best work as Q comes from an audio recording by Simon and Schuster Alien Voices: Spock Vs Q.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7

2. Dr. Gregory House, Hugh Laurie

House, a drug addicted genius applying Occam's Razor to diagnose patients in the most rude form possible.

3. Sig Hansen (Himself), Deadliest Catch

If I were to go crab fishing in Alaska, I would want to be on the Northwestern.

4. Dr. Frasier Crane, Kelsey Grammer

Late at night I always love finding an episode of Frasier on tv somewhere.

5. Maxwell Smart, Don Adams

A classic character from the cold war. Gotta love the cone of silence scenes

[edit on 6/5/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Dang it, just 5?
thats like asking me to choose 5 fav chocolate bars, or ben & jerry flavors, or drinks! it cannot be done!
Any actor from the following shows
CSI- Vegas or NY
ER
Third Watch

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Here are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

MSgt Bilko: the character who started the scheming type of character. Phil Silvers is a genius in the role of the Master Sergeant who is always up to something. The actor gives the character a human dimension that is needed to keep it from getting cartoonish. Mr Silvers lent his voice to many cartoon characters that played homage to this memorable man.

Maude: Bea Arthur made this character work, and she was loud mouthed and gutsy. Ms Arthur also gave Maude a big heart, and even if one disagreed with her they knew she would do anything in the world for them.

Archie Bunker: Carol O'Connor turned the character from a one dimensional role to a person with a big heart. The best episode of the series was an early one in which Gloria miscarried her baby. The studio audience was in tears after Archie and Gloria's very tender scene. Mr O'Connor should get much more credit than he usually gets for making this character turn into an icon.

Hoss Cartwright: Not many actors and characters can carry a show, but Hoss as portrayed by Dan Blocker was very memorable. A gifted comic when he needed to be, he also was the big brother to us viewers.

Lt Colombo: Peter Falk in the rumpled rain coat is an icon. His old Peugeot and Basset Hound are wonderful remembrances to this witty and complex character.

I know you said five, but Det Vic Mackey played by Michael Chiklis is one of the best villain/anti heroes to ever come to the TV screen. Watching the character unfold into one of the most complex ones ever shown was stunning. The show could be uneven, but the acting wasn't. (Give major points to Forest Whitaker and his character Lt Kavanaugh, who was a great foe to match Det Mackey.)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
1. BJ Honeycutt. MASH
2. House House MD
3. Doctor Who played by Christopher Ecclestion
4. Hank Hill from King of the Hill
5. Stephen Colbert from the Colbert Report.
He counts, his character is made up.

Seriously, I had to keep from just listing MASH characters though.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by RuneSpider]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Sheldon, Big Bang Theory - While the whole cast and premise are great, Sheldon makes the show.

I can not believe I forgot him. He would certainly make my list, had I thought of him. I love the show and he is by far the best charachter on the show. Anyone who hasn't seen it, you should certainly tune in and give it an opportunity.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I can't think of five, but the the top two would be

2) Cliff Huxtable

and

1) Theo Huxtable

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Herman Munster

Fonzie

Another vote for Spike from Buffy/Angel

Caprica 6 / Battlestar Galactica

Dewey / Malcolm in the Middle

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Let's see...

1. Dr Sam Beckett- Quantum Leap

2. Captain Benjamin Sisko- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

3. Dr. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce- M*A*S*H (The true heart of that show)

4. Jack Bauer- 24

5. Brigadier General Jonathan "Jack" O'Neill- Stargate: SG1

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Archie Bunker #1

In no other order:

Homer
Hawkeye
Dan Fielding- Night Court
Karen Walker- Will and Grace

I'm into comedies though.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
1. The Doctor... Doctor Who
2. Any character from Arrested Development
3. John Crichton from Farscape
4. Mulder and Sculley from X Files
5. & I can't forget little Ralphie Wiggum

I really don't watch a great deal of TV any more.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

1) Jack Bauer in 24

2) Sam and Dean in "supernatural "

3) Fox Mulder in " x-files"

4) Michael Scofield and lincoln burrows in "prison Break"

5) Dexter Morgan in "dexter"

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Can I have another 5 ??

1) Sawyer and Jack and Locke in "lost"

2) Smokin man in " x-files"

3) Angel in "buffy"

4) grandma--Catherine Tate show.

5) T-bag in "prison Break"

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Lets see...

Arthur (Carries Dad) from King of Queens.

Gregory House from House.

That one guy from Free Radio on VH1.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
House, Scofield and T-Bag are 3 I'd add as well.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Morticia Addams
Jeannie
Rhoda the Robot
Lisa Douglas
Cameron

Yah, so I'm shallow, wann'a fight about it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join