It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Witch bottle is uncorked to discover spellbinding content

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Witch bottle is uncorked to discover spellbinding content

www.timesonline.co.uk

Take a small heart-shaped piece of leather, a handful of iron nails, eight brass pins, a lock of hair, some nail clippings, a pinch of navel fluff and place them in a bottle. Then add a pint of urine, seal the bottle and bury it by your front door — this is the recipe for warding off a witch’s curse.

An analysis of the contents of the first witch bottle to be found with its cork intact has cast light on the fear of witchcraft in the 17th century.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I heard an interview with one of the scientists who was examining the contents. He said they tested the outside of the bottle, then the carefully used a syringe to extract the contents of the bottle, taking great care not to inhale or come into contact with what could ne highly dangerous.... "Turns out it was only wee" the scientist laughed.
Interesting method of home security though.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
They should analyse the urine, they will see that there was a toxic chemical released into the american water supply during the witch-trials of salem, that caused madness and hysteria, by both the accused and accusees.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nrky
They should analyse the urine, they will see that there was a toxic chemical released into the american water supply during the witch-trials of salem, that caused madness and hysteria, by both the accused and accusees.

Proof of theory?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

It would be incredibley interesting to find out what is swimming around in there... Would there be the possibility of releasing old viruses etc?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

Proof of theory?

I have heard this theory before.

Some claim that the wheat for whatever reason was contaminated by a hallucinogenic drug. It was then baked into bread for the entire community and everyone started tripping. The theory claimed that this then resulted in some people acting like witches, and other people claiming they were seeing witches.

Interesting theory, I don't recall where I read it but it was likely on this forum.

Great point in bringing that up though, I wonder if analysis of the urine after all this time could yield any results.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

There is a slight flaw in your' thinking there, not everything on this site is American.

The bottle, which was found at a building site in Greenwich, southeast London

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Incorrect. It has been shown that the Salem issue was a result of Ergot Poisoning...or moldy Rye which was a major crop in those days...

Her detective work, first published 25 years ago, brought Caporael instant fame, worldwide recognition — even a front-page story in the NEW YORK TIMES. That's quite a heavy load for a student. "When it first came out it was quite sensational," Caporael recalls. "I sort of thought that was my 15 minutes of fame and went on to do my more usual work." But the allure of the trials and Caporael's intriguing explanation — that the "bewitched" accusers of Salem had in fact suffered hallucinations, convulsions, bizarre skin sensations and other unusual symptoms because they'd been poisoned by a crop of fungus-infested rye — is still fascinating 25 years later. My Emphasis

Link

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Ergot mold infects barley and produces '___' and ergomine, the toxocology is some pretty nasty stuff. Yellowcard, there isn't any 'proof of theory' here to be had, thank the inquisition-style record keeping of the colonial settlers for that, but Ergot is the prime suspect.

new topics

top topics

join