It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We NEED a Universal World Language

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity

I think it is pretty close. A company I own stock in, Nuance Communications, has voice recognition products (Dragon Naturally Speaking) in something like 20 languages. They are approaching 99%+ accuracy. They do not say they are working on this but they do have several "secret" projects, and I for one think that a Universal translator is one of them. If not I would find it severly dissapointing as they are the only company with the technology to do so at this point.

That is AWESOME! 99% accuracy is pretty slick! Sounds like some star trek tricorder translator action going on. Might put Ohora out of a job!

I would think that written communication would be WAY easier to do than verbal spoken. Especially like someone pointed out the varying degrees of accents that people speak using the same language in different regions. Also the different vocal tones and speed people use to speak would seem to prove troublesome for a translator program.

I did two tours in Iraq and I can tell you it is INSANE working with an entire population that you have to communicate with through caveman type sign language that you make up as you go along.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
we should switch back to latin, it is already the basis of a ton of different languages, its the offical language of the scientific community and everything sounds cool in latin.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I don't believe this! So, so ignorant.

en.wikipedia.org...

More languages = more intelligence.

So I propose we all learn the major languages of the world: English, Chinese, Russian, German, Spanish, French (good luck getting intelligent people to go along with this one, hehe), and, yes, Math.

OMG NWO IS ON INFILTRATION MODE. In other words, the NWO is trying to make you dumb. In other words, NWO has infiltrated ATS. In other words, OP is an agent - along with others posting. In other words, some of you have been duped. Etc., on and on, auf und auf (auf einem fort).

You're all very welcome!

MBF

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers

Would a instantaneous translator be possible to create? One that can instantly translate both written and vocal languages instantly into any other language?

I was asked about this a while back and I thought that it could be done, but I won't go into how. Then I did a little search about a year or so later and found out that Casio was just starting to manufacture and sell a translator. You would speak into the translator and it would "speak" in the translated language. At the time they only had Japanese/English translators.

Casio

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I understand where your coming from

But I highly doubt that going to happen

Alien Mind

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Yes, we should all learn a universal language.

Wear universal clothes.

Eat universal food.

Worship in a universal way.

Watch universal reality TV to make sure we’re the *Norm*...

Be *universally*dumbed down and sink even lower into the quicksand of the socially and culturally deficient.

Individuality getting lost in the universal black hole of *oneness* and *unity* and... Oh Gawd I’m going to barf...

How convenient that would be for the NWO - stick us all in the same *universal* box, labeled with the same *universal* tag - *Contents of box: A world of lemmings found at the bottom of the NWO cliff.*

You want to FIGHT the NWO?

CELEBRATE the worlds Uniqueness - not revel in the mud pit of uniformity.

peace

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well there's thousands out there so hold a vote and start handing out books that teach the winner.

I'm glad I was brought up to learn english because learning it as a second language has to be hard.

"read" and "read"

"They are the same word"

"No, one is past tense and one is present tense and their context determines the pronounciation"

What it has in flexibility for its native speakers, it more than makes up for in complexity compared to the other languages of the world.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by Eitimzevinten]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I was talking to my daughter about this subject over breakfast this morning and she laughed and told me...

"But Dad, there already is a Universal Language...13375p34k! Every young person uses it when TXTing...and it only needs a keyboard with 9 keys!"

I LOL'd. However, giving it serious thought, a Universal Language should be simple enough to be input with the fewest number of keys possible...and considering our children pump out on average a couple hundred TXT messages a day using a 9-key pad on their cellphones, they're already trained.

Let the children lead the way?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

1. English is ALREADY the defacto world language and becoming more so by the minute. More Chinese speak English than Americans.

2. Esperanto was already created as you outlined.

3. Esperanto will NEVER catch up with English. English has too much momentum etc. etc. etc. Besides, the literal Biblical Armageddon will happen before Esperanto would even make a good scratch on the problem.

4. Hello? America is not the ONLY English speaking country and it's not even the origin of the language!!! LOL.

5. Not everyone overseas is an idiot about America. Some recognize the many wonderful contributions to modern life and liberty that America has brought the world.

6. Given the global oligarchy's rush of the world to hell in a hand basket, I suspect you COULD have more important concerns looming much closer in your life than you seem to be aware of. Perhaps researching some of those probabilities would be a better use of your time.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

I personally enjoy speaking a different language sometimes and think a 'one language" world is a silly idea.

Would you still want it if you had to learn Chinese or Spanish or does your idea only apply if it was English....PROPER English, not Americanised.

I know...let's all just go back to grunting. ug!

One of the HUGE roadblocks is in the field of communication. I cannot communicate with 90% of the people on the internet because they do not speak English or I do not peak their language.

Yes you can....Here you go:

Yahoo "Babelfish"

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I believe sign language is the same all over the world. I've always thought it should be taught in schools. That way everyone could communicate wherever they go. Okay, it's not the same as knowing the same language, but it would certainly help things. Also deaf people would appreciate it.

As for learning the same language, I believe Panglish is starting to take off. I've heard of this a few times over the past year.

This is a quote from a quote I found on another forum. But you get the idea.

A new global tongue called "Panglish" is expected to take over in the decades ahead, experts say.
Linguists say the language of Shakespeare and Dickens is evolving into a new, simplified form of English which will be spoken by billions of people around the world.

The changes are not being driven by Britons, Americans or Australians, but the growing number of people who speak English as a second language, New Scientist reports.

According to linguists, Panglish will be similar to the versions of English used by non-native speakers. As the new language takes over, "the" will become "ze", "friend" will be "frien" and the phrase "he talks" will become "he talk".

By 2010 around two billion people - or a third of the world's population - will speak English as a second language. In contrast, just 350 million people will speak it as a first language.

Most interactions in English now take place between non-English speakers, according to Dr Jurgen Beneke of the University of Hildesheim, Germany.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by System

I embrace that idea because I've always felt that english should be taught how russian native speakers learned to speak it. Something about it just sounds awesome. It makes sense though, thats generally how all languages evolved: A group of people learning an existing one and then changing it little by little. English would be the new latin in this case.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by System
I believe sign language is the same all over the world. I've always thought it should be taught in schools. That way everyone could communicate wherever they go. Okay, it's not the same as knowing the same language, but it would certainly help things. Also deaf people would appreciate it.

Great idea

When I first came to France I was getting by really well with sign-language and humour. Not proper sign language that is taught, but just waving one's arms around and pointing a lot...the French Love that!

A truly universal language (makes talking sign with hand then draws circle in the air with both index fingers).

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by shanerz

THIS.

I'm surprised at the level of enthusiasm for this idea--having one universal language. We've already got music and math to help bridge the gap. While not an expert on linguistics, I'm inclined to believe that we are indeed moving in the direction of a more universal language through globalization and technology. To me it seems that homogonization of languages would--while breaking down cultural barriers and facilitating communication--lend itself to the creation of a one-state world. Cultures express their uniqueness through idiomatic expressions in their native tongue, and to lose that would be a tragedy. If you want to communicate with other cultures, get off your lazy butt and learn another language or two.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Ahh yes Esperanto "Bonvolo alsendi la pordiston, lausajne estas rano en mia bideo"

Well i would be quite happy if the one language was english, its funny i am trying to learn French because i moved to Belgium and its coming along slowly, but i try my best when shopping and the like. But the thing is when i make a mistake and drop an english word in they understand and see that im struggling so people will switch to English, it seems most people here know English its the medium the Flemish and Walloons use to bridge the gap. But really it would be a shame to have just one language.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by pazcat]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by inorbit222

Right, language plays a huge role in cultural recurrance. Sure, you could adapt your culture to fit into another learned language's set of rules, but that act alone diminishes a culture's perseverence.

Learning more languages actually affects cognitive functions in a positive way. Kids who learned second languages, on average, scored higher on IQ tests. Why? They have an increased understanding of words and sentence structure and how they are used to describe situations. Thus, they can define, in more than one way, said situations. They have a wider learning base with which to connect the dots to.

And yes, I agree with a lot of people's sentiments that IQ isn't a killer of the stupid, but IQ tests really do examine basic functions of the brain. Mostly, they show how you can take basic concepts of math, languistics, science, etc. and apply these concepts to scenarios specifically related to their respective concepts, or on mulitple concepts in combination. In other words, increased IQ doesn't mean you're smart, it means you have an increased propensity to connect the dots to concepts you already understand = learn.

And this, according to studies on the phenomena, is just the tip of the glacier.

I can't wait for the day when people embrace the fact that they are so very different from everyone else... when we just learn to love people for who they are, rather than who they ought to be. Much more ignorant a concept than racism.

[edit on 6-6-2009 by shanerz]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Many people will argue that English could be used but I disagree.
TOO many countries despise Americans for one reason or another.

Americans??
I hate to break it to you but America isn't the only English speaking country on this planet.
Like another poster on here said, it's a universal language.

And i doubt the reason why people would dislike a nation of people has anything to do with their language.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Real time translation is already available in several applications. In fairly short order small devices like your phone will be able to translate between certain languages.

The idea of a global language is appealing but in reality it could take centuries or realistically more to convert people. There would be a whole host of complications. Whereas if you go the technology route ie translation tools etc the adoption rate is amazingly fast. Using cell phones as an example, they were adopted widely around the world in a few short decades, even in developing and historically poor regions of the globe. They will allow people to ease into the transition and maintain some semblance of their cultural heritage. Either way the language barrier is degrading quite nicely if you look at it from a historical perspective.

I guess when you get right down to the nuts and bolts of it, mathematics is literally the universal language that will unite us all.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I work for many year on language humans and computers can parse, compile and run.
have written several parsers, compilers, for different language types.

simple definitions are necessary for mutual digital comprehension.
simple-english definition base for transitioning into simple language.

in the language words are derived from the definition.
for instance with a hexadecimal base, 16 base letters, connected by vowels make a word. increase letter base for quicker language.

definitions can be used as back-end language used by computer. humans can continue to use their native languages, for programming, or interactive activities, so long as there is a clearly defined link between a word they use and it's definition number.

some epistemological definitions:
true is current experience
know is past experience
union is OR of all elements of united groups -- allow all elements.
intesection is AND of all elements of united groups -- allow same elements.
belief is program statement.
reality is belief intersection.
exist is belief union.

happy is an emotion of feeling nothing or null.
aware is an emotion of feeling negation or change.
love is an emotion of feeling AND or together.
free is an emotion of feeling OR or option/choice.

this language unite culture, religion, science, math, language.

wonder is to think about OR option/choice/possibility.

for now we can call it Simple English Definitions.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Language is an organic and natural thing.

If someone tries to invent a language -- even if it's done by the world's best linguists -- I have a feeling that language is destined to fail. Nothing can compete with a naturally-made language.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join