It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The MOST important survival skill

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It is always to the best interest to find a peaceable solution to any encounter. The very best is to avoid the possibility of any encounter through being preemptive.

I am merely stating that it takes more than awareness, which is very important in it's own sense. It takes knowledge to act and react. Observation is the first thing learned in tracking. The second is learning how to be still and quiet.

Being aware that you are lost in the woods is the first step. Knowing what to do because of it is the next. The best option of course was to not get lost in the first place.

Without a doubt one cannot know or have the resources to deal with every situation that might come up. But to best be able to deal with those you can. Having the skills and tools available is a good first step.

Do you carry a EDC bag? Are you always armed? Are you always prepared.
The worst thing is trying to do this all the time. It is why the Secret Service is rotated so often. It is near impossible to maintain a state of readiness all the time. One needs to learn also how and when to let your guard down.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I worked downtown and parked my car in a garage five blocks away. Everyday I walked in front of a city mall that became the hangout for huge groups of kids. At rushhour the sidewalks were as jammed as the freeways. Way too many times I would watch other people go out of their way, almost into the street to get around the gangs of kids.

That ticked me off. So, I would deliberately walk a straight path right through them, making them step out of MY way. It was a liberating albeit stupid thing to do. They could have kicked my high-heeled but and no one would have even noticed! But they didn't. I got my respect by refusing to kow-tow or show any kind of fear.

From then on, my walk to and from work was peaceful, uninhibited.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I agree that the most important survival skill when all hell breaks loose is being aware. Be aware of each person around you. Be aware of their movements. Be aware of their intentions. Be aware of your surroundings. Be aware of your escape routes. Be aware of your options at all times.
Just recently I found myself in the unfortunate circumstance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. exiting a club in the city alone, I found myself in the middle of a street fight that stretched for an entire block. everyone seemed to be laying into everyone within reach.
I kept myself aware of each person around me and how and when they were moving and I actually walked straight through the fights without so much as being bumped simply by chosing my path so as to not to put myself in harms way, based on my awareness of each person. ( I don't think I breathed for the entire block! )

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I think it can certainly be learned by experience! That is where my hard lessons came from.

I guess I should have said, "I don't know if that can be taught?"

I used to be the guns-blazing type also, but that doesn't work as you get older for many reasons: Physical, economical, and broader awareness. Now I just "see" better ways to handle things, plus I don't trust my physical skills as much, and I can't afford to be arrested or sued.

I totally agree with pawn's post, but I think the "Most" important skill is exactly as you have named it!

Edit:

The best option of course was to not get lost in the first place.
--ReluctantPawn

Great point! That also goes to awareness and planning. I knew I made a mistake staying at the club after everyone else left, as soon as I went out the door and saw how far away the hotel was!

[edit on 5-6-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Deception is the first rule in war...I agree playing stupid has its advantages for sure.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Maybe after reading my own post I might have to agree that awareness is the first thing. Without it you might not even know about the situation to begin with.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
learn to adapt to any situation..

dumb yourself down if need be

when around others unknown to you,treat them with the same attitude you are getting from them,all the while take a mental note on how to kill everyone and escape if need be..

Be aware of your surroundings..

Don't count on plans being fool proof,learn to think on the fly..

sometimes better to dodge questions than bullits if need be..''heard that on Burn Notice ''

and never give up no matter what..

[edit on 5-6-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The Art Of War

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

Deception is the first rule in war...I agree playing stupid has its advantages for sure.

Your a smart guy my friend ;-)The Art Of War

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
Maybe after reading my own post I might have to agree that awareness is the first thing. Without it you might not even know about the situation to begin with.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

Exactly, without awareness you won't even know your in the situation your in... until its probably too late

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join