It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poles celebrate defeat of communism 20 years on

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Poles celebrate defeat of communism 20 years on

in.reuters.com

KRAKOW, Poland (Reuters) - European leaders paid tribute on Thursday to Poland's role in the defeat of communism two decades ago, saying the courage of the Solidarity trade union had made a peaceful, united Europe possible.

Poles are marking the 20th anniversary of partially free elections on June 4, 1989, that handed victory to a Solidarity-backed government and triggered a series of events culminating in the fall of the Berlin Wall that November.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
20 years already. I am from Poland and I remember that elections. I also remember how the whole communism collapsed soon after. I also remember the street fights in 1981 when it really started. and I remember my father beaten up by the police almost to death. it was that spirit we need to see today. and again we will stand against. I promise you that.

Pity is that the symbol of that change is not the Solidarity but the fall of the Berlin Wall.

if you want to see some facts how it happened go and check the link below. it is not finished yet but it will be soon:

www.polishforums.com...

what happened later you can also see here:
news.bbc.co.uk...

in.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join