It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military-backed public schools on the rise in US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Military-backed public schools on the rise in US

hosted.ap.org

ATLANTA (AP) -- The U.S. Marine Corps is wooing public school districts across the country, expanding a network of military academies that has grown steadily despite criticism that it's a recruiting ploy.

The Marines are talking with at least six districts - including in suburban Atlanta, New Orleans and Las Vegas - about opening schools where every student wears a uniform, participates in Junior ROTC and takes military classes, said Bill McHenry, who runs the Junior ROTC program for the Marines.

Those schools would be on top of more than a dozen public military academies that have alre
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I have mixed feelings about this. Education in America is sorely lacking but should it be up to the Military to improve it.

However I do see a sinister side. Indoctrination into a military mindset as recruitment for cannon fodder for more foreign invasions and nation building.

I think the proper approach would be to let the Military fund and run Private schools and let the parents of the students determine if they want their kids to have a military education.

ROTC is a choice but I have mixed feelings about that one also.

hosted.ap.org

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I've spoken to kids that have gone to these schools who say that they don't want to join the service and have zero interest, but were glad that they got the discipline and tradition from the school.

Indoctrination? You mean like the Obama Youth??

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I have mixed feelings about this. Education in America is sorely lacking but should it be up to the Military to improve it.

However I do see a sinister side. Indoctrination into a military mindset as recruitment for cannon fodder for more foreign invasions and nation building.

I think the proper approach would be to let the Military fund and run Private schools and let the parents of the students determine if they want their kids to have a military education.

ROTC is a choice but I have mixed feelings about that one also.

hosted.ap.org

Not only is education sorely lacking, discipline in the education system is sorely lacking. I substitute at my old high school and for a lot of those kids, the kind of structure a military school provides would only do them good. I was raised to respect adults and especially adults in positions of authority. You spoke when you were spoken to. A lot of kids these days have no respect for anyone or anything.

I see where you're coming from about the indoctrination part of it but ultimately, that decision would be left up to the child and parents. Unless they required you to sign a contract to serve should you decide to go to that school, I don't see anything negative about it. Even then you still have free will.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I am actually for and against it.

I am for it simply because I am a big supporter of the military and I think military service should be a responsibility that comes with citizenship.

However, I am reminded of an article written in Parameters by then-Colonel Charles Dunlap, Jr., USAF, titled the The Origins of the American Military Coup of 2012. In this essay, he specifically mentions the military subsidizing public education and this playing a part in making people believe the military is a far better alternative to having non-military public institutions such as government support society.

Its important to note that Col. Dunlap's essay is not a prediction by any means. Rather, he is simply illustrating, rather dramatically, the risks of going down such a road.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
As long as is it OPTIONAL for children to attend one of these schools or a normal one I have no problem with it whatsoever. In fact I applaud having an alternative available to the failed public education system.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
In light of the lack of discipline in public schools these days. I beleive that ROTC should be mandatory in hight school. ROTC instills personal pride in appearance, bearing, and civic pride. It also brings a type of discipline that is not present in the homes of a great many homes.
It may also cause students to question their current situations and make them consider possiblities to escape poverty and entitilement programs.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
As long as it remains an option and not something they force kids into, I am all for it. If they were to ever try and make it mandatory it would be a different story, but as it stands this is a good thing. Too many teens are dropping out of school and/or joining gangs because they can't see anything better for themselves. If this helps even a third of those teens, then I would see it as a success.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I agree totally. Everytime you turn on the news, you see reports of juvenile crime, violance and vandalism. Even tho as kid, we used to run the streets some, we NEVER considered bringing guns to school, making hit lists of students or teachers. The youth of today sorely need discipline, and strong guidance. I admit, I am biased on this subject, as I am ex-Army, and am grateful for the discipline and training the military gave me.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Just let loose a Ft. Benning drill sergeant onto the schools. School rules won't apply to him only Basic Training rules.

Just one per school, grades will sky rocket and youth crimes will plummet.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Interesting. I've stated in other (more esoteric) threads that I am fed info - that I kind of just absorb it. I don't always understand it.

Military run public schooling is one of the messages I have been receiving for a few years.

I don't know if its good or bad - - but apparently is something that is supposed to be.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Military schools will not benefit children any more than public schools. If anything, they will force their own propaganda and ideals like public school or Catholic school.

I am a daughter of a military man. He served twenty years so I recieved insight from military sides and civilian sides.

Trust me, the discipline is surely lacking just as in public schools.

new topics

top topics

join