It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science is holding us back.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

it's one of the "millennium problems", more specifically the poincare conjecture, i think, but don't mistake me for someone who has knowledge or understanding of any of it, i read it or saw it on TV or something. it's one of those weird mental filing belches that bought it to mind.

apparently, it has been solved since, so there you go. there are still unsolved problems on the list though.

i understand your distaste for all the psychic industry clap trap, i agree with you, awful stuff, but i also think there is a chance that some of this stuff is possible and just because the million hasn't been collected i'm not going to dismiss it.

EDIT: dismiss someone wanting money for it, yes, but the idea it's possible, anythings possible.

[edit on 4/6/09 by pieman]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I don't dismiss it pieman. Like my original post, I simply think we need more evidence... but in saying that, it could very well be that we need a new type of science to interface with the phenomena.

Thanks for the link mate!

IRM

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Wow, some great discussion coming up here.

As i think our modern day scientists are quick to dismiss anything their theorys cant prove, like everything, science is expanding.

Science is branching out to a more "paranormal" zone, and with that, i think things will start becoming more believable.

But to your everyday civilian, your average joe, they would side with science over anything else.
If you asked a random person off a street, if they believe telepathy is possible, I believe atleast over 60% would say no.

Love&Light.

Jacob

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

Actually, I believe it is over 90% of the population who do believe in psychic phenomenon. But the perception is skewed, because as it was when the religious institutions were considered the capital authority, media follows the lead of that authority.

In this case we have a tiny percentage of scientists insisting in the face of hard evidence that such things do not, can not exist. Nothing more than superstitious fear on their part.

The real issue for me is that this creates another false perception that the majority of the population must be "stupid" or "ignorant".

It really is nothing more than the same battle fought over and over again. A small margin of people attempting to assert their own ego over the progress of humankind.

In the end though, they always lose. The only benefit on their side is organization, and that is faltering.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by HunkaHunka

So.. in essence your saying, "If someone believes your lie, then it's OK to lie. A silly/trusting person took it at face value and therefore deserves whatever comes their way".

No what I'm saying is that everything we already believe are lies. Our self image, our world view our religious convictions, everything are made up approximations which provide us a model in which we can approach our world.

Now, the specific lie you are speaking of is psychic abilities... some people are under the belief that they are not actually psychics, but that they are simply providing entertainment, and take your money. Others actually believe that they are psychic, whether they are or not, and still take your money.

Either way, there would be no money taking without someone seeking out such a service. And this is typically nothing more than someone seeking a sounding board. The divination will speak to the seeker regardless of the intent of the soothsayer.

You can't supply me with any words that will make me believe that taking advantage of someone is acceptable under any circumstance.

I'm sorry but if someone is seeking out a soothsayer, then no one is taking advantage of them. They are merely working things out the best way they know how. And there will be people there to provide them that which they seek. Whether that which is provided is based on the intent of providing an actual therapeutic service or not, doesn't really matter. As I said... the people seeking will find what they are looking for.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacobNH
Hey everyone.
When you read that title, you gonna think to yourself, whats he on about? Is he crazy?
What do you guys think?
Love&light.

Jacob

I would say that IMO personal opinion science is not holding us back but those respectable subjects with-in the scientific community holding an image for their jobs sake, everybodies gotta eat, and their personal collegue reveiw of being of normal not radical, hold us back.
Those types of perspectives are felt throughout western society and further more the world society. It seems to me as it is and if indeed so, it is very disappointment.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacobNH
Science tells us telepathy is impossible.
Science tells us moving things with our minds is impossible.
It tells us manipulating energies like fire, is impossible.

This is very untrue.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cds4344
The fundamental laws of science and physics are being broken daily and no one can seem to explain it.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Cds4344]

Please give me and example of how the fundamental laws of physics are being broken daily - cant wait.....

While your at it lets have a fundamental law of science - what does that even mean ?

This should be good.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I agree with you for one main reason, my connection with water. When I was a child, back when all things were possible, I could "control" it, but to my memory only to make it calm, using my mind and sometimes my hands. I don't know how exactly I would just sit at the pool or the lake and if it got too rough for me, I would put my hands just on the surface and after a few seconds everything would be very still for just about as far as I could see.

I also tend to do well with people. Unfortunately, I have a lot of "sick" people in my life. When things get bad I will either hold their hand or place my hands on the area that is the problem and pray or ask for it to be lessened or ask for my myself to take it on. Don't get confused, I can't heal people, to my knowledge, but the symptoms tend to go away at least for awhile. One person inparticular, doesn't have the slightest clue why but whenever he is really ill he will take my hands and place them himself. I asked him why he did this (because I NEVER tell people this stuff in my personal life) he said that it always helps him to feel better, physically. I've done it with his heart and lungs, now I would never ever attempt this in a serious and immediate medical emergency, if he were to have a heart attack I'd personally take him to the ER, but with things that aren't immediately life threatening I'll give it a go.

Recently, I have tried to recapture that childhood belief system, tried to get out of my mind all the nonsense that society has put into it (at least the limitations anyway) and I think it is becoming easier to do. I get a sort of sensation throughout my body but mainly my hands, my head, and my heart, my body tempurature also seems to rise (not sure but I know I get very warm even in the coldest of environments)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Yeah i see where you're coming from.

As a child you had no conception of science (well not a good one anyway) so there was no reason why manipulating water shouldn't be possible.

Also i can imagine other factors would of effected it, as you've grown older but still..

Love&Light

Jacob

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by JacobNH

Science does not necessarily say that these things are impossible. They more state that it is impossible for them to create such a phenomenon in a control setting.

They simply do not know how such things work, and don't very often get the chance to study individuals who possess such powers. (Not civilian anyway.)

I agree that the current mainstream branches of science are very condescending towards the very "new-age" branches such as Quantum Theory and Sacred Geometry.

It's the influence of certain individuals and groups that keeps our mental progression from moving forward, science is the pursuit of truth. The veil of truth in general on this Prison Planet is quite murky.

I agree with you here.

I have some friends that are huge skeptics, and ONLY believe in what science says. Some are really smart people and show signs of gifts, they choose to brush off, because "science" doesn't have enough evidence to support these gifts. Seems like a HUGE waste to me!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join