It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science is holding us back.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Hey everyone.

When you read that title, you gonna think to yourself, whats he on about? Is he crazy?

Well, let me explain.
Science, doesn't hold us back physically, oh no, it obviously advances us. But mentally?

Science tells us telepathy is impossible.
Science tells us moving things with our minds is impossible.
It tells us manipulating energies like fire, is impossible.

Science convinces us that the things we should be able to do, are impossible.

To do these things you have to believe, you have to know, you have to really think you can do them.
Science tells us otherwise.

I'm not having a rant at science, i'm purely saying, that to do these things, you have to think outside of the box.
Believe there is more to the world than what science tells us.

I think that in the "olden times" where we hear stories of mages, shamans, stories of magic and fireballs, etc, that they really could do those things.
They believed.
They didn't have advanced scientists saying, "nope, thats impossible" They thought they could actually do these things, and they did.

What do you guys think?

Love&light.

Jacob

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The fundamental laws of science and physics are being broken daily and no one can seem to explain it. I don't believe we are as smart as we think we are.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Cds4344]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

Actually, there are some SCIENTISTS which tell us these things, but science itself tells us nothing. All science wants to do is observe and draw conclusions from experimental results. Given unlimited time and perfect observation, scientific inquiry could answer every question regarding the observable universe. Unfortunately, humans get mixed up in it, and they bring with them their bias, their prejudice, and mainstream opinion. Science itself is pure. Men are not.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I understand what you are saying and I've often thought the same things. Sometimes I think that science is holding us back. Science is only theory to begin with. Take the laws of gravity for instance. What if, way back in history, before we agreed that gravity works predictibly, someone proved they could defy it? What if no one believed that jumping off a cliff would result in certain death, or worse, permanent maiming? What if that person, so utterly convinced that jumping off the cliff would be a liberating experience and did it safely and unharmed? What if????? I suppose we'd all be experiencing a different reality right now.

But that didn't happen. Someone realized that jumping off a cliff resulted in broken bones at best and death at worst. Everyone who witnessed it would believe that jumping off a cliff was dangerous, pass on the tale and convince everyone else by the "evidence".

What was that greek myth about the boy who wanted to fly?

Just thoughts. What if?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

I don't know what science you are listening to that tells you telepathy is impossible.

for one the EPR Paradox proves that it's not. And that's pretty much main stream science.

Don't mistake skepticism for science, because they are not the same thing.

Everything the Druids new was considered a craft, or science. And they felt some pretty wild stuff was possible.

I just don't believe that we can generalize about science in the way that you have described.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eviant
Actually, there are some SCIENTISTS which tell us these things, but science itself tells us nothing. All science wants to do is observe and draw conclusions from experimental results.

This is absolutely true. The discipline can't be blamed for the actions of its followers.

Here's a video that validates just that, where science tells us "psi" is real. It's just the scientists that refuse to acknowledge its existence.

www.youtube.com...

Edited to add: The video is Dean Radin's lecture "Science and the Taboo of Psi", not some bunk "OMG!! I moved this with my mind!" vid. So if you're really interested in getting a better idea of the evidence, check out the vid and research the experiments discussed.

Human beings are obstinate, stubborn and narrow-minded at times. But this isn't necessarily a bad sign. As I see it, it's a symptom of individuality. A natural rebellion. But it's also a sign of insecurity. Something that can change if we recognize it. And should, because it does hold us back.

[edit on 4/6/09 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
the scientific method is an excellent way of gathering empirical knowlege. without it we would be doomed. now, thats not to say spirituality and the like are not equally as important. but, i beleive there are sciences that make no attempt to refute what we consider to be impossible

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cds4344
The fundamental laws of science and physics are being broken daily and no one can seem to explain it. I don't believe we are as smart as we think we are.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Cds4344]

Funny because it's the people who think they know everything that think they are really smart.......We know almost nothing.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacobNH

Well... no they don't Jacob! That's a generalization! You're confusing debunking with science. The official scientific attitude towards the above phenomena is that it's unproven.

What I do find interesting.. and this is just an observation... is that there's a million dollars being offered to anyone who can prove they have psychic abilities/powers under laboratory conditions.

To this date, no one has collected the million dollars. Interesting no?

Million Dollar Challenge

IRM

[edit on 4/6/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by JacobNH

I don't know what science you are listening to that tells you telepathy is impossible.

for one the EPR Paradox proves that it's not. And that's pretty much main stream science.

Don't mistake skepticism for science, because they are not the same thing.

Everything the Druids new was considered a craft, or science. And they felt some pretty wild stuff was possible.

I just don't believe that we can generalize about science in the way that you have described.

correct. it's more so the Mainstream IDIOTS who think they know everything is what is holding us back......Certain scientists know this but can do nothing about it because their co-workers think they are crazy when in fact they are just open minded.....

Science is good for physical but not mind.....spirituality is lacking because of science and because of church believe it or not......

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I dunno... my psychic abilities come and go...

And in reality I believe they are more in line with empathic abilities than anything else.

I can often tell what the people around me are thinking or feeling, and am one of those people that folks just open up to and later say something like "Why did I tell him all of that".

Not sure if you could measure those at all to be honest...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
To this date, no one has collected the million dollars. Interesting no?

Watch the video I posted above if you have time (about an hour) and you'll understand why. It's explained.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

I completely agree

I like the Celtic perspective, where Myth and History were one and the same, and there was no dichotomy between the these two worlds of objective and subjective experiences.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

there is a million dollars available to anyone who can describe the shape of the universe mathematically, it hasn't been collected but that hardly means that the universe doesn't have a shape.

OP, i understand your point, i believe that you are right in a way. people have preconceptions about what they can and cannot do and this, above all else, holds them back.

in the words of stewie "whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Your point is moot! Are there people out there scamming people for their money in regards to the shape of the universe? Nope - but there are many charlatans out there claiming to have powers that they do not. By all means, prove me wrong!

BTW.. can you supply me a link to the site where they are offering money to anyone who can describe the shape of the universe? Sounds interesting!

Cheers,
IRM

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The only charlatan is that of our own minds.

We choose to believe what we will.... if there are others who prey of of the beliefs of some, then is it not the beliefs which are the issue?

It's better never to be convinced of anything...

I don't fault anyone you call a Charlatan, anymore than I fault those who have beliefs which make them pray for Charlatans.

Ultimately we are all responsible for our own existence and we can place blame on no one outside of ourselves for our experiences...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

there is a million dollars available to anyone who can describe the shape of the universe mathematically, it hasn't been collected but that hardly means that the universe doesn't have a shape.

OP, i understand your point, i believe that you are right in a way. people have preconceptions about what they can and cannot do and this, above all else, holds them back.

in the words of stewie "whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"

Actually, Infraredman is right on this one. Nobody is running around claiming to have a provable mathmatical model for the universe. They are scientists, when they feel they have enough proof, it will be put up for peer review. If there is evidence to support the theory then they will most likely get the money.

The thing with "super powers" is that there are all kinds of people saying they have them, and not one of them able to prove it. So until they do, it is just a fantasy.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

So.. in essence your saying, "If someone believes your lie, then it's OK to lie. A silly/trusting person took it at face value and therefore deserves whatever comes their way".

You can't supply me with any words that will make me believe that taking advantage of someone is acceptable under any circumstance.

Nice!

IRM

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

Science does not necessarily say that these things are impossible. They more state that it is impossible for them to create such a phenomenon in a control setting.

They simply do not know how such things work, and don't very often get the chance to study individuals who possess such powers. (Not civilian anyway.)

I agree that the current mainstream branches of science are very condescending towards the very "new-age" branches such as Quantum Theory and Sacred Geometry.

It's the influence of certain individuals and groups that keeps our mental progression from moving forward, science is the pursuit of truth. The veil of truth in general on this Prison Planet is quite murky.

Great OP, this will produce some great discussion.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

No it just says these things are just ideas until they are backed up by reproducable evidence.

Science convinces us that the things we should be able to do, are impossible.

Like what kind of things. Things you see in a comic book or what?

I think that in the "olden times" where we hear stories of mages, shamans, stories of magic and fireballs, etc, that they really could do those things.
They believed.
They didn't have advanced scientists saying, "nope, thats impossible" They thought they could actually do these things, and they did.

What do you guys think?

This is this type of manipulation and magical thinking that science got us away from so that we could advance. These things were just stories told to other people in their group to manipulate them for good or bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join