It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Puts Two U.S. Journalists on Trial june 4 for Hostile Acts in North Korea.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Two US Journalists on Trail june 4 for Hostile Acts in North Korea.

Washington Post
cpj.org

Although family members have attended some of the many grassroots support demonstrations and candlelight vigils, they have generally followed a disciplined silence. Current TV, for whom Lee and Ling were reporting, has come under criticism for not reporting the story on its Web site. Former Vice President Al Gore, a partner in the news outlet, has been deeply involved in working with the State Department to get the women released. The tactic: The less said publicly the better.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
shakespearessister.blogspot.com
online.wsj.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
N.Korea:U.S. Journalists Laura Ling And Euna Lee Accused Of 'Hostile Acts'.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
'' SEOUL -- North Korea's detention and imprisonment of three foreigners is adding to a pattern of increasingly belligerent behavior since dictator Kim Jong Il's recovery from a stroke-like illness last October, observers say.

Since then, North Korea has launched a missile, pulled out of six-nation aid-for-disarmament talks, kicked out international weapons inspectors and said it may again test a nuclear weapon, something it first did in 2006.

!!!!! North Korea's treatment of the three detainees violates international human-rights practices, but news coverage of their situation has been overshadowed by the diplomatic fallout from Pyongyang's April 5 missile launch. !!!!

I posted this first time 4 days ago , and not one soul have given it a read..tsk, empathy for others are where?
They can get to serve 5 - 10 years in an laybour camp.

Ok, I would speculate that the N korea are having two Us reporters as 'hostages' or as 'tools for influence' the Us involvment in the N Korean nuke/missile situation.

Can I be way ofcourse here , what you guys think.
I find it pretty convenient that this happends just as there is going on an possible conflict over there..

Of course high risk journalism has high risk consequences. This is all the more reason that we should support Ms.Ling and Ms.Lee, and other journalists who take great personal risks to provide information to the public.

There are brave voices of activists and writers who speak from within the borders of their nations. There are also brave international journalists who bring information to the world. Both should be defended by those of us living in comfort,safety and peace.

cpj.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Pretty amazing how low peoples ability to care about others are gone..

Here two americans are facing an 5 - 10 year sentence in North Korea and Gay Pinguin is what is IMPORTANT ??

UpDate :
State-run media have not defined the exact charges against them, but South Korean legal experts said conviction for "hostility" or espionage could mean five to 10 years in a labor camp. Choi said a ruling by the top court would be final.

The circumstances of their arrest were hazy. The Current TV team had gone to the Chinese border city of Yanji to report on the trafficking of North Korean women, Lisa Ling said.

"Too many sad stories," her younger sister posted to Twitter days before her arrest.

They were seized somewhere near the frozen Tumen River dividing North Korea and China while a cameraman and their guided managed to evade the North Korean guards.

"What they set out to do almost three months ago was to tell the world a story. I know that what Laura and Euna were trying to do was give people a voice," Lisa Ling said in a statement.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This seems rather like a chess game that N. Korea started.

They are basically just trying to sh** on America's face by saying, "Hey we got 2 of your people, stand and watch what we do to them. You guys ain't gonna do sh**"

Or what of this is all propoganda to inflame the nations to wwIII. who knows.

Sux for them 2 tho

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

im thinking: why doesnt this get any Media coverage ?
two americans are facing 5-10 years of Hard Labor, and I cant see any thing about it except for internet..

Is the Mighty Us powerless to do something here ? Are they expendable ?
Do they not have time to help them ?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

two americans are facing 5-10 years of Hard Labor, and I cant see any thing about it except for internet..

It's just what Kim wants, media coverage.

That being said if they were placed in a prison camp good luck getting out alive or getting out at all.

There is lots of footage smuggled out of NK from press and some North Koreans who regularly cross the boarder. If they found tapes on them of civilian populations in NK they would go to jail for sure as you're not allowed to tape or even associate/talk to anyone not in govt. positions and even then you can only talk to someone that has been approved to talk to outsiders.

I'm sure they were found to be taping something the govt. didn't approve of.

Edit: Not much the US can do about it other than talks. It's not like you can just go there when you please as that would be considered an act of war by Kim and all heck would quickly break out..

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Nothing can be done, it sucks but that's how it is. You better be damn sure when you're in another country that you don't even litter, because you probably don't know how strict their laws are, and don't for one second think that your home country will bail you out for a crime you committed on another country's soil because it isn't going to happen.

This has happened many, many times before, lots of times it goes completely unoticed and unreported, hell, there are probably hundreds of American born citizens serving hard time in other countries with more strict laws for various offenses ranging from drug smuggling to whatever else.

And also, USA doesn't care about it's citizens anymore, and if you haven't noticed this by now then I don't know what country you live in, but here in Virginia, it's quite obvious that the government has given up and stopped caring, even to the point of selling out their own citizens and species.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

But the fact is they entered NK illegally and were caught near a military site. Can you do something like this in Noway?

So what do you think the USA should do? Nuke little Kim out of hell? OK, no problem for me.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamspark

In norway you can get close to military installations without getting 5 years jail, and the nukes aregoing off some place..If it is in NK or not , will see..

So, to h3ll with them, scum reporters ... Good ridence !!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Laura Ling is one of the news reporters being held. She is the sister of Lisa Ling , remember her from The View and is now on National Geographic?

new topics

top topics

join