It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary new epidemic in China

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

No I was not replying to you, sorry mate, was suming up some of the previous hate posts that have got the goon in question banned

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

Hi Mike

Yes, I am originally from the West.

I've lived in Chengdu for the last four and a half years.

Chengdu is in the West and has a very high population density of somewhere between 12 - 16,000,000 people.

When it comes to potential outbreaks, the Chinese have a bush telegraph like you wont believe. The people remember all too well the SARS episode, and that only add to their general hyper-sensitivity to rumours of outbreaks.

I think it is a bit unfair for some of the posters to assume the government is less than transparent when it comes to potential outbreaks. In the past, I would have agreed, but they took a huge caning from the West over their handling of SARS, and they are, in most cases, much more upfront about national health issues.

So I'm pretty confident when I say that this particular virus is probably not at a significant threat-level - as yet.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by mckyle]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sabreblade

Question:
I have read many times here about one blown out of proportion story being used to cover an actual bigger story.
Could this be the case here?

I can't comment too much I'm afraid as I am a guest in this country. Governments in general are good at generating smokescreens, but I don't think this is the case this time.

I have also heard that YouTube and Flickr were also shut down.

Youtube has been down for many weeks now. Flcikr is sporadically on and off

Could they be using the Tiananmen Square Anniversary story to cover the virus outbreak?

I sincerely doubt it.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael
I still wonder with tens of millions of Chinese able to read and write English and with Internet access why we hear so little from them online. I realize it is prudent not to give opinions that are critical of the country and it's government.

Because they block the channels in which the average Chinese citizen is able to communicate freely with the outside world. Anytime there is a topic that gains global attention regarding China, the Chinese government unleashes it's internet brigades to spread official propaganda. Almost always the poster says they are originally from the west (to bolster credibility with us?) and they always say the Chinese government may have been misguided in the past but isn't anymore. It's pretty standard, go look at the threads around the olympics and Tibet, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Funny though, did anybody see CNN as they attempted to cover the Tienaman anniversary?
It was hillarious, they had Chinese police dressed as average citizens on cell phones, but with big umbrellas and they kept walking in front of the camera to block it. Like the massacre is STILL going on or something, lol. They try SO hard though, gotta given em an A for effort.

If this new illness is real, we probably won't hear much about it until it spreads outside China...

edit: wanted to add that i'm not accusing mckyle of being part of an internet brigade, just pointing out past trends, i predict you will see alot of chinese posters during this anniversary of Tieneman, and they will only post positive messages about the Chinese government (with slight, half hearted criticisms to give the appearance of independent thought), once it's over they will disappear until the next time China is in the spotlight...

[edit on 4-6-2009 by 27jd]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Thank you, I'm feeling relieved now. I wasnt able to read his posts because it said extreme t&C violation. I'm always curious what people write on those. I seem to miss them but glad I do. I dont like hate groups either.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
Almost always the poster says they are originally from the west (to bolster credibility with us?) and they always say the Chinese government may have been misguided in the past but isn't anymore.

If anyone doubts that I am a Westerner, perhaps you can read my other threads over the last year that I've been with ATS.

This is one of the very few times I've posted about where I live.

Apologies to 27jd. I assumed you were having a dig at me

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mckyle
I suspect you've made yourself look like a dimwit to most people here.

I doubt it. Like I said, I wasn't accusing you directly, I was actually responding to another poster who asked why there aren't more Chinese folks online. You may very well be who you say you are, but there were MANY Chinese posters who flooded this board (funny when they dont usually have access) with PRC propaganda during the olympics and the Tibet issue, and like I said then disappeared. If you're not part of that, don't be so defensive and jump to the name calling.

edit to add: if you are indeed an average joe in China, i'm interested in your opinion on the Tieneman square anniversary, and the censorship that China is imposing on it...off topic here of course, but here's a thread on it...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

if you are indeed an average joe in China, i'm interested in your opinion

27jd,

As much as I would love to take you up on the offer, the realities of where I live would make that inadvisable.

Speaking out is something that you put a lot of thought into before you do.

Otherwise........well, I'm sure you can guess.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mckyle

That's understandable. My apologies for my thoughts you were here on "official" business. I'm glad you are able to post here, but it is still a little confusing that you even have access to a site like this without official permission. Anyway, sorry for the misunderstanding, be safe.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

reply to post by mckyle

That's understandable. My apologies for my thoughts you were here on "official" business. I'm glad you are able to post here, but it is still a little confusing that you even have access to a site like this without official permission. Anyway, sorry for the misunderstanding, be safe.

No problem mate

It does get frustrating for me at times over here, as you do witness various things that are just so morally wrong.

For instance, I'm an animal lover - not a good thing to be in a place where there is no maltreatment laws to protect animals.

Of course, there are many other issues too.

Having said that though, you never have too much trouble finding something that makes you smile and appreciate being here. China's greatest asset is it's people. The Chinese people in general are wonderful people - I truly mean that.

As for my access to ATS ?????????
It's not easy for most people here to access anything they want on the net. I said most ;-) Let's just leave it at that

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

China's greatest asset is it's people. The Chinese people in general are wonderful people - I truly mean that.

I completely agree. I have alot of criticism for the government there, as well as my own government, but the people of China are very kind and good people. I wish them all the best (you can tell them all for me
), and hope this illness turns out to be nothing.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

China's greatest asset is it's people. The Chinese people in general are wonderful people - I truly mean that.

I completely agree. I have alot of criticism for the government there, as well as my own government, but the people of China are very kind and good people. I wish them all the best (you can tell them all for me
), and hope this illness turns out to be nothing.

I'll pass it on mate

As for this virus, or any future outbreak, as I said earlier the population density in the big cities - of which there are many - is very high. So if a particularly virulent air-borne one comes along, it's going to be a massive problem - a la black death perhaps (heaven forbid)

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

This is irritating!

Every time there is something like "The world will end" and "It is the end of mankind" or "The collapse of Western civilization is imminent" I go like "Ah, finally it will end, the stupidity is over now", but then nothing happens!

I have been disappointed with ATS for approximately 200 times since I first read it in 2007... Every week there is another end of the world, and then they cancel it!

I sure don't believe that any kind of a super-AIDS is coming from China. I still faintly hope that we might see the end of the stupidity in 2012, but I think I will be disappointed again...

But keep up the good work... Look for end of the world scenarios, sooner or later one of them will happen, even though it might take a billion years...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Not Concerned.

Show me more sources then Maybe I'll think about being worried.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Found this using a search of the symptoms from the RSOE site.

www.infowars.com...

Missed this at first (basically same reportings)

www.nowpublic.com...

[edit on 4-6-2009 by shanerz]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paveway27
Hahaha, its America's way of stopping the Chinese from interfering when we go after Korea. Lol, what a great Idea. Take them out from the inside, then take them out. YES!

I was told this by someone I trust... one of the deals made with the opium growing tribes in Afghanistan was that the Allies would not mess with their fields as long as they agreed to only ship their product EAST towards China.

I do not believe that deceit is good foreign policy, we are all residents of the same spaceship called Earth, and truth and honor and practicing respect for life will help us to get along.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Without some more definitive numbers, I can't get worked up about this just yet. It seems like every month we hear about a new deadly disease from China that threatens to wipe out the world.

If anything, it's best it's happening in China, because the government will simply kill off the infected before it spreads.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by seanryann]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
With global transportation, bizarre sexual acts, messing with dangerous or exotic creatures to get ratings on your lame ass television show....are we really that surprised there are so many life threatening diseases or viruses that surface?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This is an EMERGENCY!!

I`m becoming more paranoid, exponentially every hour, need some asistance, drug, magician, or something…hehe

Now, seriously check this out:

First was influenza, then the new Evola…

www.foxnews.com...

and now a new aids like virus that spreads from fluids like saliva or swet…

english.ntdtv.com...

All in a few months.
I don’t know about you but to me it’s really suspicius, or i´m terribly sick, and need some tibetan monks to relese me from this paranoia.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join