It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cymbalta Withdrawal Symptoms Being Kept Secret? (Personal Story Inside)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Recently due to a huge error by my insurance company I have not been able to get my medication for depression. I have been going through complete withdrawal for the last week and let me tell you it is agonizingly horrible.

I have heard from many friends that I am in serious danger and this could possibly kill me. So I went looking online for some answers. Here is what I found:

I wrote an article on how much Cymbalta withdrawal symptons suck and I was pretty shocked at the amount of comments that are being posted from people who were going through the same exact Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms. The common theme is that no one was made aware of the Cymbalta withdrawal side effects upfront.

There was an article posted over at The Discovering Alcoholic’s website where he talked about Purdue Pharma’s misrepresentation of Oxycontin. The top executives blatantly downplayed the dangers and the addictive properties of Oxycontin with one thing in mind…the almighty dollar. It got me thinking about all of the comments being left on my Cymbalta withdrawal symptom post.

I understand that people aren’t throwing their entire lives away to get another pill of Cymbalta like what is sometimes done (myself included on that) with Oxycontin, but there really is a similarity here. For Cymbalta to cause such severe withdrawal symptoms in people for such an extended period of time there must be some real brain dependency going on here.
Source

I was definitely not made aware of the withdrawal symptoms. Which have been going at full strength for a whole week now.

In a previous post I had explained that I was slowly weening off Cymbalta with my doctor’s guidance. This started with me reducing my daily dose in half. I felt the effects of that in the form of Cymbalta withdrawal which included a weird buzzing in my brain that I have named brain shivers.

Within a couple of days my body got used to this lower dose I was feeling back to my self again. That was a little over a month ago. The time was here for me to stop taking Cymbalta all together. Sure, I was a little nervous about the withdrawal symptoms but I decided to go along with the plan that my doctor and I had come up with which meant to stop taking Cymbalta.

Well…this time the Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms are far more severe than the last. Not only am I getting the brain shivers way more frequently throughout the day, I can tell that I am very short tempered and a little emotional. Since being emotional is not something I’m used to after being on antidepressants for over 2 years…it’s pretty upsetting to me. Of course it’s upsetting, everything is upsetting to me right now.
Source

Here are the current symptoms I have: depression, brain shivers, extremely emotional, increased appetite, apathy, random instances of rage, nausea, urge to vomit, suicidal thoughts.

The brain shivers are the hardest to deal with in my opinion. Just because I cant stop them. It is quite distressing to sit here and have my head feel like an earthquake zone every few seconds. They can get so bad I get nausea and feel the need to lay down.

Now let me reiterate something here. I am not weening myself off of Cymbalta with my doctors help. I was forced to stop taking my medication (which I was happy with) by my insurance companies stupidity. I cant afford to go out and buy 60 pills for 300$ without medical insurance. I was taking 120mg a day, the highest dose you can take. So I went from highest dose to nothing.

It really sucks.

Here's some more information for you to digest.

Eli-Lilly, the makers of Cymbalta does not make the severe side effects of Cymbalta known to the public, nor the massive withdrawal effects. Doctors are not informed of the withdrawal effects, and it is something that showed up in trials prior to being released, and severe issues have been arising since, but Eli-Lilly does not make this readily available to the public.
Source

Cymbalta can cause withdrawal symptoms, either when your body decides it wants more, or when it isn't taken exactly on time, or when you try to discontinue it. Its something the drug company (Eli Lilly) doesn't make well known. Its part of a condition known as SSRI Withdrawal or Discontinuation Syndrome. Also known online as "withdrawal hell". There are many websites that are bashing Cymbalta and people write in comments and their tribulations with trying to come off the drug or having the withdrawal effects as side effects. Many people that try to go off it end up staying on it because they cant tolerate the effects that can last months or up to a year.

During the clinical trials with Eli Lilly, a 19 year old girl commit suicide in their labs on day 4 of coming off the drug because she couldn't handle the side effects. The drug company has patients screwed. Your body wants more, and if you don't give it more, you go into withdrawal...if you try to go off it completely, you cant.

In monitoring my personal intake, I came to the conclusion that 18 - 20 hours after my dose, my body goes into withdrawals. I don't even make it to 24 hours. Cymbalta has a very short half life, meaning that your body may metabolize the drug before the next dosage and put your body into withdrawal.
SourceIn my personal experiences with Cymbalta... I must take it on time or I feel the withdrawal within 2 to 4 hours of missing a pill.

More on the "Brain Shivers"

"Brain zaps" are said to defy description for whoever has not experienced them, but the most common themes are of a sudden "jolt," likened to an electric shock, apparently occurring or originating in the brain itself, with associated disorientation for a few seconds. They are sometimes accompanied by tinnitus and vertigo-like feelings. Immediately following this shock is a light-headedness that may last for up to ten seconds. The sensation can be described for many as a flashbulb going off inside the head or brain, coupled with a sudden sensation of pressure within the ears which is similar to the feeling of trying to relieve inner-ear pressure. Another anecdotal description of a "zap" is as though someone had opened up the person's skull and dragged a static-y blanket across his or her exposed brain. Essentially, it is a wave-like electrical pulse that quickly travels across the surface of (or through) the brain. Still another description is that it is like a bug zapper in stereo traveling back and forth across the back of the head, accompanied by a taste of aluminum foil in the mouth. Moving one's eyes from side to side quickly has also been shown to trigger these zaps and causing them to come in rapid succession. It is thought to be a form of neuro-epileptiform activity. As withdrawal time increases, so does the frequency of the shocks, before they wane completely. At their peak, brain zaps have been associated with severe headaches. They may last for a period of several weeks after the last dose and usually resolve completely within a month or two. However, anecdotal reports of "zaps" from protracted withdrawal are known to last a year or longer.
Source

And the do all End all:

General Side Effects of Cymbalta

Sleepiness, weakness, sweating, diarrhea, urinary difficulties, dry mouth, fatigue, headache, insomnia, nausea, sexual difficulties, dizziness

Blood and Lymphatic System Disorders : anemia, leukopenia, increased whit blood cell count, lymphadenopathy, and thrombocytopenia.

Gastrointestinal Disorders : gastritis, blood in stool, colitis, dysphasia, esophageal stenosis acquired, gastric ulcer, gingivitis, irritable bowel syndrome, and lower abdominal pain.

Psychiatric Disorders: initial insomnia, irritability, lethargy, nervousness, nightmare, restlessness, and sleep disorder, completed suicide, mania, mood swings, pressure of speech, sluggishness, and suicide attempt.

Renal and Urinary Disorders: dysuria, micturition urgency, urinary hesitation, urinary incontinence, urinary retention, and urine flow decreased.

Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue Disorders: night sweats, pruritus, and rash, acne, alopecia, cold sweat, ecchymosis, eczema, erythema, face edema, increased tendency to bruise, and photosensitivity reaction.

Vascular Disorders: peripheral edema and phlebitis.

Let me make it known that my doctor told me of the possible side effects of Cymbalta and these were not on the list.

I do not know if I want to take this medication anymore...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Thought I would add one more thing.

Here is the Cymbalta website... now if you try to find out the side effects you are sent here: Important Safety Information and here: Side Effects

Now I searched the entire site... I couldnt find withdrawal side effects anywhere.

There's a whole forum dedicated to Cymbalta withdrawal!
The stories are frightening to say the least...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
let me get this straight

medication X causes u massive physiological problems

in reaction, you seek more medication X?

i am not understanding something here....

shouldn't' this be a warning to avoid medication Xat all costs?

[edit on 4-6-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I'm sorry.
I have fibro and I am NOT depressed, but my doctor gave me some of this junk. I told him I didn't want it, and that I'd had another doctor prescribe me some of that junk 'to help with pain' and I'd done nothing but puke.

I took one dose and it made me stupid. I could not think, and I threw up what looked like orange colored florescent Fanta - but I didn't eat or drink anything orange - for 24 hours straight. It was something...weird. Not natural.

I did not take another one, you bet.
I've been taking aryvedic herbs and they've helped a lot more than the Western meds they gave me, except for the tramadol. It helps, but it is 4.00 a month. Everytime I go in they try to force me to take some new just approved 300.00 a month crap. If I could just get my tramadol from the pharmacy, I'd not go in at all. It is like going to a drug pusher.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Oh another one was that lyrica. I'm practically forced by my doc to take it, if I'm going to be his patient. (Cause I have to try to show I want to get better...that I am compliant with his recc. treatment, lots of pain docs are like that b/c they have a lot of narcotic dependant patients, even though I PERSONALLY don't take any narcotics..)....

So I get the 300 a month lyrica and take it, and I think it is gonna actually work. I do - I feel better after I wake up after sleeping for 3 days. I feel normal again. I don't even need a tramadol or tylenol, oh, maybe this is worth 300 a month..

2 weeks later I am cutting coupons, and I look at the TRIX bunny and suddenly I'm bawling like a baby - I start wondering where the gun is and how I really should just kill myself. That bunny is so pitiful, I am so hopeless. Luckily I am SUCH a happy person and it WAS all so WEIRD that I knew something was not right. I quit taking it and since I am a medical professional I filed an adverse reaction report.

A few weeks later I noticed a suicide warning came out on it, so I guess I wasn't the only one.
I might have fibro but I don't wanna be their gunea pig any more.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Some people take benadryl to help combat the symptoms of withdrawl. Its over the counter. Its not a miracle, but it may help with some of the discomfort. I hope it does anyway.

Hang in there.

Edit to add: You need to ween yourself of this medication. I know your insurance is screwing you, but if you can, find an alternative that you can discuss with your GP. Some people take six months to recover fully from going cold turkey from 60mg, like your are being forced to do now and I think you mentioned 120mg?.

Take Care.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by atlasastro]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Looks like you hit the nail on the head without even trying to...

The company that makes Cymbalta is not telling the doctors the whole truth about the medication.

If I had known this before hand I would have never taken it in the first place.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
ok, after a bit of research I now realize what type of chemical you are putting in your body

Duloxetine (or Cymbalta) is classified as a Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor

what this means is that the chemical you are taking, "works" by affecting two types of neurotransmitters found within our brains, which are related to Mood

these two components of our brain, the neurotransmitters, are known as Serotonin and Norepinephrine

according to the sources, other antidepressants typically only affect serotonin

in plain english : they believe this chemical can increase the amount of these 2 neurotransmitters within the brain, thus increasing its transmissions (and reducing neuropathic pain)

from the extensive lists of side-effects and such, i would personally seek a BAN on this chemical (for almost all cases granted it may be necessary in a few)

its effects on human beings is barely known at this point, as with any other brand new designer drugs

clinical trial phases really should be 20-30 years long rather than like 1-2years then let the pills hit the market (thats dangerous and bad medicine)

oh ya , my sources for my research
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
reply to post by muzzleflash

Looks like you hit the nail on the head without even trying to...

The company that makes Cymbalta is not telling the doctors the whole truth about the medication.

If I had known this before hand I would have never taken it in the first place.

exactly, that is the truth with almost anyone!

that is why Awareness of side effects and withdrawal symptoms should be the top priority of the medical establishment

but rather than Informing us about dangers
they would rather make a quick buck and sell us a bottle o pills

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Anytime you take prescrips you are taking chances.
Have you looked into herbal and natural remedies?
They are gentler yes but dont have near the side effects.
Alot of times you end up worse with drugs, which is EXACTLY
what big pharma wants of course....and the hospital,
and the doctors, and the insurance companies!

Funny how once you start going to doctors,
you always gotta keep goin' back!
Please take care of yourself! We need ya!

Good luck T! Everyone has someone who cares somewhere.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Thank you dodadoom.

Believe me after this I will be looking very long and hard into never having to take a big pharma drug again.

I am will be calling my lawyer in the morning.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

you probably should not be taking Lyrica IMO

im not doc but cmon, read some about it en.wikipedia.org...

sounds pretty scary to me! i wouldn't take it

id rather just suffer Fibro or anxiety or neuropathic pain honestly

these drugs come with a cost much more painful than what they seek to treat in the first place

i mean lets think about it realistically, they create a Chemical compound that has never existed in the History of Earth, and then they immediantly decide to put this chemical compound (which we know absolutely nothing about) into animals and then humans

this is an exceptionally dangerous form of medical experimentation

rather than going to the doc for help, you In Reality,are going to the doctor to aid him in his medical Experiments(Who knows what will happen!)

[edit on 4-6-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Star and flag this thread people

we need to spread awareness because if we do

maybe we can prevent someone down the road from taking this dangerous chemical and suffering because of it

information is our greatest asset to save ourselves

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I have fibromyalgia and they have tried to get me to use Cymbalta.

I have tried two other antidepressants and the side affects were to much plus they did nothing for the fibro pain and they want me to try a stronger antidepressant for my fibro pain.

What to these doctors think this is the age of the internet.
we can find out just by going to internet forums that people are having problems with there drugs,

Yes the drug company that sells Cymbalta knows that it is very hard to withdraw from Cymbalta.
They know once they have you on it they have you hooked for a period be-on when you find it does not work just trying to withdraw from it.

Then i find out from others with fibro the doctors are telling them that Cymbalta takes a couple months before it starts working fully for fibro so that you are really hooked on it when you find out it does not work.

I will stick with Gabapentin (neurontin)for my fibro as it works good for me and is not habit forming like Cymbalta. and its also cheap.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I myself had this issue but with seroquel. I was being taken off it slowly and was going to go to something else but my insurance changed and it was no longer covered and I could NOT afford the 1100 price tag PER month for it. It was horrible. I was sick and irritated and I got hot flashes and would throw up. I called my doctor and she said it was withdrawl from the meds. I looked up withdrawl symptoms for it and there wasnt really anything on it. I was freaking out. It affected my work and everything but thank God I had a doctor who cared. She went through the company who makes it and I winded up getting it free of charge through the patient assistant program. You should seriously talk to your doctor about this. Many anti-depressants are on the list and doctors dont openly talk about this program but it helped me big time. I was only off my meds for 2 weeks and then I got back on and was taken off slowly and I was much happier after....Go to cymbaltas site and find who makes it and you can also contact them in regards to the assistance program.

Its absolutely RIDICULOUS how much these medications cost. My medicine was more than my monthly bills! I started crying at the pharmacy when they told me the price cause I knew there was no way I could pay for it..

I hope you find something to help you through this, I know it's not easy.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Im a nurse, my best advice is to get yourselves slowly off all these meds,
these drugs are to make money, not in your best interest to take them
they are very harmful!!! .....my opinion!! hope it helps, take care.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
Funny how once you start going to doctors,
you always gotta keep goin' back!

Ain't that the truth! 35 years of off the chart GREAT cholesterol levels, my doctor puts me on blood pressure medicine, and my bad cholesterol levels have been rising ever since. And compared to the average joe, I eat like a champ.

Anyways, to Tentickles, do your best to wean yourself off that crap.

Peace

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Have you suffered from any sleep paralysis ? Or had any OOBE's ?

The reason i ask is those brain shiver's sound familier. I am not on any medication btw.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 4-6-2009 by h3akalee]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Same here only paroxetine withdrawal. I've been trying to get off of it for 8 years now. The "Brain zaps" section in the op is the best I have heard it described so far. I have also had countless other side affects, including but not limited to a nearly constant headache since about a month after I stopped taking it the first time. This has led me to nearly a full bottle of Excedrin every 2 weeks and subsequently problems with stomach ulcers. I was originally on Paxil CR until it was recalled, so that should tell you something about the laid back nature of their "testing" before releasing a new drug.

My biggest problem is with the return of my anxiety (I was on paroxetine originally not for depression [seeing as how I never suffered from it up until the beginning of paroxetine] but for the totally debilitating anxiety I suffered).

Every doctor I have seen has said that I'm not suffering withdrawal, I'm just getting back the symptoms of anxiety I originally had, even though it's nothing like a panic attack. Not only that but benzos don't even touch the so called "panic attacks" the doctors insist they are.

Anyway, I'm rambling. The point of this post is that there are alternatives to staying on it. Not everyone will need the same thing, but I asked the pharmacist I work with on the weekends and he gave me a list of a few vitamins that would relieve the anxiety and ease the transition to not having SSRI crap pumping through my blood constantly.

I was lucky and the first combination he suggested worked amazingly well. I'm about 2 weeks off of paroxetine, which was led up to by 6 weeks of 10mg every other day. I still have daily headaches, but they are slowly decreasing in intensity and other than that I feel better than I did before the anxiety began.

By the way, most of the things he suggested were B vitamins, probably explaining to a degree why the FDA wants various B vitamins listed as drugs. Hard to control the masses (literally half of everyone I know is on some kind of SSRI, maybe more) by controlling the meds if there are things out there that they can fix themselves.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I myself had this issue but with seroquel. I was being taken off it slowly and was going to go to something else but my insurance changed and it was no longer covered and I could NOT afford the 1100 price tag PER month for it. It was horrible. I was sick and irritated and I got hot flashes and would throw up. I called my doctor and she said it was withdrawl from the meds. I looked up withdrawl symptoms for it and there wasnt really anything on it. I was freaking out. It affected my work and everything but thank God I had a doctor who cared. She went through the company who makes it and I winded up getting it free of charge through the patient assistant program. You should seriously talk to your doctor about this. Many anti-depressants are on the list and doctors dont openly talk about this program but it helped me big time. I was only off my meds for 2 weeks and then I got back on and was taken off slowly and I was much happier after....Go to cymbaltas site and find who makes it and you can also contact them in regards to the assistance program.

Its absolutely RIDICULOUS how much these medications cost. My medicine was more than my monthly bills! I started crying at the pharmacy when they told me the price cause I knew there was no way I could pay for it..

I hope you find something to help you through this, I know it's not easy.

I actually took seroquel for a short period of time last year. One of my friends Alerted me to the possible side effects, which are many and quite scary, so I asked my doctor to put me on something else. Actually he put me on Cymbalta after that. Great.... *rolls eyes*

I have am definitely going to ask any and all questions to my doctor and research as much as possible before I take any medications from now on.

You can blame my inaction on me liking my doctor and trusting him. Which I dont now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join