It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Screen on your Contact Lense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
This would be interesting.

This kind of stuff only used to be in science fiction. Not anymore. A group of University of Washington engineers is developing contact lenses which can, get this, display the details of whoever is calling you on your mobile phone! The display would be superimposed on the outside world. BUT, that's just the tip of the iceberg. The technology, if and when fully-developed, could be used by drivers to display speed of the vehicle, pilots to view the plane's condition while flying and yes, video game developers for new games which would definitely beat virtual reality as we know it. The developers aim to enable web surfing in through the contact lenses too. The team was already able to develop a prototype although a fully-functioning device would probably not be unveiled anytime soon.

clipmarks.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Oooo, I heard about this a couple of weeks ago on a tv program. Can't remember what it was, or who was talking about it. But it sounds very interesting, even though I will never use them!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by platosallegory

Sounds like HUDs....Heads Up Displays....but microed.

I wear hard contacts....would they supposedly work on hard and/or soft????

Second nightmare scenario....a greater numbver of zombies, the ones who now 'twitter', and eyes focused on their thumbs....later, walking around and not being able to pay attention to where they're going, because their friggin' EYES are full of information to read!!!!

Actually, I think this is being done, already, with spectacles....oh, the Horror!!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Wow this could make all forms of entertainment truly immersive. Imagine viewing movies made from the first person perspective or playing a videogame which is all around you and all you have to do is turn and a censor will realize you've turned but since the screen is in your eyes its almost authentic to a real life experience.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by born2BWild

That's what I thought I've heard about...glasses, that provide an almost full-screen movie visual experience....not that expensive, if I remember...in the $300 to $500 dollar range, for now....

BUT....consider this: YOU own a pair, you invite guests over...they DON'T own a pair....I see problems already....

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Haha yes, that's why you buy a couple of them! Hope they bring their own pair? or probably a more reasonable thing to do is opt for another form of entertainment.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
that's what the grey aliens have been reported to have...
cyber-organic black lenses
whereas their eyes are more human looking without the black overlays.

complete heads up display.
complete immersion with all data necessary

hell imagine nano-cameras in a nano-honeycomb array.. on the surface.. that pick up radiation from every other level of the EM spectrum? then translate it into visible light on your HUD?

they probably have that implemented in theirs.

-

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

You're talking WAY science fiction turning into fact here...and that is good!!

In fact....the reports of Grey's eyes that certain frightened abductees reprt to just 'peer into your soul'....we, as Humans, are used to being able to reconize eyes....it is one of our evolutionary traits....we KNOW when another being, if a dog, cat, or even a cow, is looking into our eyes....BUT, if there are no pupils visible???

I can imagine how disconcerting that would be...think of a person, wearing dark sunglasses....a Human face, we recognize when it is truned in our direction....we can even imagine the eyes behind the lenses are looking at our eyes....but we cannot SEE it!! It is a sense, sometimes.

perhaps THIS is what is so disconcerting to people who enccounter this phenomonon.

When you CANNOT see the pupils....you just get creeped out by the stare that may, or may not be there....but the intent, perhaps....the angle of hte face towards yours...and the 'feeling' is enough???

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Will probably be an OLED display since you need to have it flexible and able to illuminate its self, kinda makes you wonder, can you use it as some kind of virtual beer goggles to make skanks appear to be super models?

[Edit]
Also what if you're driving along and whatever controls it decides to crash and your whole vision goes blue with a few numbers?

[edit on 4/6/2009 by spitefulgod]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Wow, we have some really cool tech, but this one takes the cake. AWESOME STUFF!!! I could see a million things you could do with these. Including military applications, aka built in night vision and targeting systems (which could also help you differentiate between friendlies and enemies). Personal entertainment. Every day computing devices. The possibilities are endless!! I especially like the VR gaming aspect. Combined with this:

We would have nice VR

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This link may be relevant to everyone's interests. I'm not sure if it's the original article or not. uwnews.org... All I can say is, I can't wait to get some of these!

MSNBC has a pretty interesting read, too. www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Now that would be cool to see

It will come someday

Alien Mind

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see what applications can be paired up with this technology. Here is another article on it.

Bionic Eyes

[edit on 20-6-2009 by desertdreamer]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
That is some pretty cool tech. I wonder if you could do a dragon ball z power reading thing with it.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
You should check out retinal display technology. This is a device where it paints an image onto your retina with a low power laser. This doesn't require any screen or medium except your eye. I think it will be a while though till they get these out into the commercial realm. I did some research on this a number of years ago. The concept could develop where an image is superimposed over reality. So say you are walking down the street, and this device would paint text over stores giving you information about them even gps information, or lets say during the night would outline objects that are hard to see while driving. It seems to have limitless applications.

top topics

join