It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Year of the hungry: 1,000,000,000 afflicted

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by SkitzoFrenic

I think our Big Brother government agrees about depopulating the globe. A lot of this they inflicted upon us.

Yep Anglo American empire imposed hunger on the third world, and then scum like bill gates, saying and pretending they are helping people.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

my father do that. he had a way to get a small terrain for free to run a very small vegetable garden and you would never imagine how good they taste compared with the ones of the supermarkets and without using any stupid poison. This is something that almost everyone that has free time can do.

However he can produce really a small quantity of course, and its just seasonal.. but here is good that we have some old people still doing the same as the did for centuries and selling at the local market each week.

there is really no comparision in taste and genuinity. and being a fan of cooking i can tell you it REALLY makes the difference.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by digitalwarrior]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by digitalwarrior

You'd be surprised that they still do exist in certain places in the U.S. I live in southern NJ right outside of Philadelphia where I work (uber-urban settings) and still, I tend to buy my vegetables from mom and pop type stores.

Sure, I could go to a supermarket and buy bananas for 79 cents a pound, but I would rather spend the 1.59/lb at the local grocery. Why? Not only is it considerably fresher but I have the pleasure of knowing that I contributed to a small business rather than McDonalds.

That's the problem though, McDonalds is more convenient. Why spend an hour shopping for food when you can hit the drive-thru and pick up what they call a "meal" for $7? We have become so complacent as Americans that everything has become about "ease" rather than the best way to do things...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Gates is another story. I think he enjoys the big tax write-offs when donating. After hearing he attends the Bilderberg meetings I see him in a different light.

Any large scale secret does not benefit the people, as we have seen.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by digitalwarrior

It is wonderful to be self sufficient by gardening, etc. I do have one major concern though. Not to scare anyone and most already know about this but the government can seize our food, if they wish or under Martial law.

Here are a few of many executibe orders.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10999 allows the government to take over all food resources and farms.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11000 allows the government to mobilize civilians into work brigades under government supervision.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11001 allows the government to take over all health, education and welfare functions.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11002 designates the Postmaster General to operate a national registration of all persons.

This is truly scary!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar1102

Yes everything has been about ease; however I think things will soon change. We may be forced back to the basics, which is a good thing.

Every time I take my kids to McDonalds or a Taco joint I think wow, for this much money I could feed an army. I still do cheat on cooking dinner now and then, due to time restrictions and convinience.

It is more inexpensive to cook at home, unless you buy from the dollar menu.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Well, since the governments won't help the world hunger problem, I shall propose my idea to help.

*Disclaimer*: This may only work in countries with diamonds

We organize a company with X amount of people. We go into the country and take over the diamond mines, killing all of the warlords and gangs who currently run them, build fences around the mines and have armed guards on watch 24/7. Then what we do is HIRE the workers into the mines, instead of having them work for free and pay them a fair wage (really I wouldn't even try to profit off this too much). Then, once they have an income OTHER industries will move there, capitalizing on the newly found market there. Then, instead of indonesia and such places getting all the manufacturing jobs our African counterparts will start seeing factories appearing, and cities appearing.

We need to stop being their life support, and give them a way to support themselves.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

But no one can afford to buy diamonds anymore.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Wow, what bizarre versions of what is going on.

The World is quite capable of producing enough food for many times the current population.

Up to a few years ago we produced more food than was needed. The problem was getting it to the people who needed it. A combination of no infrastructure (road, railways etc.) and Third World Governments who steal the food aid and sell it was the only reason everyone on Earth did not have ample food.

America and Western Society had nothing to do with it and I don't understand why people just make up those facts out of thin air. Because they like to lie about the US I suppose. Makes them feel cool or something.

Right now the crazed Environmentalists have caused massive unemployment of farm workers in California and shut down a huge supply of food to save a Smelt. Smelt are one of the most prolific fish on earth but they would rather see people suffer and businesses destroyed than let one specific smelt that is irrelevant in the scheme of things perish. Environmentalism has crossed the line from good to evil.

In Idaho where I was born and raised, huge amounts of arable land sit unused because the Farmers are paid so little for what they grow, they could no longer get loans or pay their bills and survive. The largest Farms in Idaho have gone belly up.

It is the same in Farming areas all over the country. Add to that the fact that a great deal of Farmland has been rezoned by greedy developers and turned into housing developments and you have what we see today.

Look to the Governments of the Third World Countries that are short of food and you will find the real culprits. This blaming America is a bald faced lie and should be shouted down every time it is brought up.

There was once a time where the lack of arable land was an issue with some countries, but with modern farming methods that is no longer true. Any country can grow its own food. Again, if it is not, it is due to a corrupt government.

Governments have used hunger to control their populations since civilization began. Most countries with starving citizens are ruled by Dictators or Dictatorial Governments who block the food supply on purpose. We could ship food until the warehouses were overflowing and none of it would be allowed to go to their citizens. That is the real truth.

A new roadblock to food production has reared its ugly head. Obama. He wants to end subsidies which would further reduce food production and decrease what we can export. He wants to purposefully cause the price of food to go up dramatically. What do you suppose the motive for that is. It's not to hurt some other country that should be growing their own food. It is to hurt the poor right here in the US.

The end game is he wants to destroy American Agriculture to benefit other countries which is part of his World Vision. The other side of the coin is he wants to use it to control us ever further. The poorer we are the easier to control we are. He has studied how Dictators control their populations and he is emulating it. Since we can easily grow enough food he has to drive the prices up to accomplish this.

He and his kind are thrilled people are running around diverting attention with this it is all America's fault nonsense. It plays right into their hands, just as he planned. The good little sheep follow blindly behind as they are led to slaughter.

[edit on 6/4/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

This issue is not a figment of my imagination. There is a global food crisis going on. The related articles are on the first page.

Those who decide to ignor the warnings will be the most in need when SHTF.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If only Africa was civilized and had the agriculture tech we do, I think this could be greatly avoided for decades to come... but unfortunately it's not. I think if the entire continent was civilized and was pretty agricultural they could probably produce more than all continents combined. Lots of flat land & grasslands it's nice and warm. Pretty wet in some parts. It's almost the perfect continent for an agricultural society, too bad most of it's so war torn and poor.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

“It’s a sorry story you have there, a story of hopelessness and futility, a story in which there is literally nothing to be done. Man is flawed, so he keeps on screwing up what should be paradise, and there’s nothing you can do about it. You don’t know how to live so as to stop screwing up paradise, and there’s nothing you can do about that. So there you are, rushing headlong toward catastrophe, and all you can do is watch it come.”

“Yes, that’s the way it seems.”

“With nothing but this wretched story to enact, it’s no wonder so many of you spend your lives stoned on drugs or booze or television. It’s no wonder so many of you go mad or become suicidal.”

“True. But is there another one?”

“Another what?”

“Another story to be in.”

“Yes, there is another story to be in, but the Takers are doing their level best to destroy that along with everything else.”

www.scribd.com...

[edit on 4-6-2009 by pai mei]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
And one more thing...our bailout money could have fed the world for years.

Perhaps the same could be said, about the 700 billion a year the US spends in defense spending...for a very long time.

700 Billion x 10 years is 7 trillion and one screams about bailout?

Peace

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

You did not read my post. I did not say there was not a problem. I was commenting on the real causes as opposed the radical extremists warped versions.

It is not the fault of the US that Third World Governments keep their people hungry to control them. They are perfectly capable of growing their own food. It has never been our responsibility to feed anyone but ourselves. We are not the Worlds Welfare Agency.

The citizens of other countries are the same species as us, just as intelligent and capable as us. It is time they stopped blaming their own failures on us.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

Aid has been pouring into Africa for decades and it does no good. You can't force people to take care of themselves. You can't force them to clean up their corrupt governments and societies. Lord knows we and others have tried. Even the Russians have poured aid into Africa.

[edit on 6/4/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Urban agriculture has a lot of promise.

en.wikipedia.org...

Beijing is already getting ~70% of it's food grown inside the city limits. Actually I'm not sure if that's all food or just produce. But we're not even talking nuclear powered sky scraper farms yet.

No surprise though that the Chinese are out in front on this. Necessity is the mother of invention and there is no necessity like your hungry kid.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I understand what you are saying. I just urge others to see that it has serious consequences on the US, EU, Australia, etc.

The FDA recently said that if every American ate 4 to 5 servings of fruits and vegetable a day. there would not be enough.

That alone is something to think about.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Youre right that we cant force them to clean up their government. I think we should give them education and guidance, whether or not they accept it it's up to them.

I also think donating bith control pills would solve some of the problem and be less expensive.

We do have a problem getting the food and supplies to where they are intended,,the children.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by VelmaLu

Hi VelmaLu,

Ive always wondered why we haven't educated these poor countries on Birth control methods, It would save a lot of money and resources, if we gave these women Birth control pills. I cant imagine how they feel to watch their children starve to death and why they have more to suffer the same fate.

Do you know what is the real problem behind population control? It's RELIGION. . . particularly Catholicism and Christianity.

Much of the aid pouring into places like Mozambique comes from religious based charities.

There is a big push to improve infant mortality (the highest in the world), but no emphasis on family planning. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that if you lower the infant mortality rate by half and women are still pushing out ten or more babies, then those children are likely going to starve to death later in life.

If a family cannot support the children they have now, they cannot support more children later. But hey, every life is sacred and the Lord will provide. . .

If you want to improve the quality of life across the globe, provide women with an effective and free means of birth control (and yes, in developed nations as well), make abortions free and accessible without all the legal problems and by all means, stop celebrating families that have more than two children.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

We pretty much agree then

The real problem here, as far as Farms are concerned, is that the price of food is too low.

I studied this extensively in the 1980's as I was involved with helping to author a Farm Aid Project. I was also raised in a Farming and Ranching Family.

Around the turn of the 20th Century, food took up most of a persons earnings. Land and Housing was very cheap, but necessities like food were very expensive. Food took half or more of a persons income. By the time I was born in the 1950's food had dropped to only about 5 to 10% of a households budget and that did not change for a long time.

The reason for the Government subsidies to Farmers is so they could survive and still keep prices lower than they should be. They wisely knew that keeping food prices that low was important to our developing the spectacular economy we have had for many decades. Even now in our troubled times, we still are living well as a Nation.

Now Farmers can no longer afford to grow food. Ironically it is the small Farms that are surviving and the largest Farms are failing. Mainly due to labor and Workman's Comp costs which small Farms don't face. The HUGE Farms survive due to the shear volume they produce.

If we want food production to come back to the US and to have that quality once again, we will have to face the fact that food will cost more and that the prices have been kept artificially low for decades.

I grew up in a home where of course we produced all of our own food all of the time. Other than restaurants, I had my first store bought and canned foods when my Father died when I was 15. Until then, our basement and our fields and orchards were our food source. We bought bacon and ham but all else came from our place or a close relatives place.

A half acre lot and a few fruit trees will put a real dent in a persons food needs. We have got to stop building houses on our best Farm Land. It is insanity. Houses should be built on the bad non-arable land only. We have got to stop destroying our farms to save flies and smelt and realize that we are animals who have the right to live also.

Look at all the damage the Sierra Club has done. Taken huge amounts of land over wetland issues needlessly. Overprotected Forests instead of letting the experts manage them. They caused the Yellowstone fire and the Arizona fires. They apologized for Arizona but still won't admit they caused the damage to Yellowstone.

They have stopped any hope of new energy production here. They are opposed to wind power, nuclear generated power and anything else that is viable and clean. Personally I think they are just a bunch of over aged pubescents who have no clue what they are doing. They want to protest something, anything.

I'm done ranting. When we truly do have to go without, watch the whole world wake up to the damage these nuts have done.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join