It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Year of the hungry: 1,000,000,000 afflicted

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
What makes this whole thing even sadder is seeing people eat like pigs and waste food. While visiting friends in the midwest recently, we ate dinner at a buffet-style restaurant.
It was wasted on me, because I paid the $12.00, but probably ate $5.00-6.00 worth of food. A helping of roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and steamed veggies. One plate and I was stuffed.

There were many overweight people, some were morbidly obese. At a table near us sat a family of hogs who were stuffing themselves with as much food as they could possibly ingest. If the word "hog" sounds cruel, well, sorry, I don't know how else to describe them.
The mom and dad both weighed in around 350 plus. They had a son and daughter, probably 8 and 10 yrs old, who were so fat, I wanted to cry! I feel sorry for overweight kids. I feel more sorry for starving kids though.

They left before we did, and I noticed there was enough wasted food left on their table to provide a couple meals. The busboy dumped it in the bin to be tossed out.

Overall, I thought this was just a display of human nature. (A bit extreme, but still just human naure) If you have something, it's a non-issue. The big problem is, if you don't have food, you die. Sometimes it's a horribly prolonged
death.

If the World Heath Organization statistics are accurate, 2000 children died of starvation while we were eating dinner at the buffet.
I think it was Mother Theresa who once said that she didn't expect the west to solve all the world's hunger problems, but she pointed out that for the cost of 1 fighter jet, she could feed a school of hungry children twice a day for 10 years. The problem is, there's always more children.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Hi bombeni, Yes now is the time to stock up. I can still buy a 50 pound bag of rice for 20 bucks. That wont last for long.

All the ATS members probably know by now the timing is critical, especially with the survival threads.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It is important to point out that something is being "done" about this issue.

It's called the CODEX ALIMENTARIUM aand it will cement the inevitable fate of millions to starve each year by creating bureaucratic protection against loss of revenue for the industrialized corporations who are 3/4's of the way towards achieving their goal of a global food monopoly.

They will become too big to fail. The supranational financial cartel and the robber barons will ensure that the paradigm fed to us will be one of 'overpopulation' instead of sustainable resource management (which inherently limits profit growth.)

Even if the rumors of wealth and resource hording were exaggerated by tripling, the 'reserve' resources of our 'so-called' international organizations of stewardship could feed the entire planet for a generation.

Eliminating hunger is as important to them as eliminating drugs, slave trade, war, poverty, and terrorism.

Our institutions are the weapons that are being used against the interests of mankind. And we have sat and watched the global community contrive newer and more reckless policy for decades.

Their final solution (no pun intended) will be to 'eliminate' the 'surplus' population.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by Bombeni

Hi bombeni, Yes now is the time to stock up. I can still buy a 50 pound bag of rice for 20 bucks. That wont last for long.

All the ATS members probably know by now the timing is critical, especially with the survival threads.

Yeah, plus it'll be fun to the hero of the family who stocked up on all that food.

P.S. where do you buy rice that cheap?

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
I personally dont see how they want the U.S. to do something about this... The U.S. makes up like 15% of all the land in the world and yet they want the U.S. to grow all the food for the poor, well what about the nations that are so close to the starving, or what about the other 85% of the land? I personally think the U.N. should grow their own **** food to hand out to people who ended up that way because they are lazy, now maybe to groups of people who are uneducated and dont know how to do such, but cant we teach them to grow their own food?

The U.S. is not responsible for the world... everyone stop crying for the AID of the U.S. and condemning it for spending trillions of dollars to help rebuild countries... Sounds to me like the world wants to bankrupt the U.S.

Edit to add:

The US Acounts for 16% of the Worlds Land Mass

[edit on 4-6-2009 by rjmelter]

Please believe me, as a lucky third world inhabitant as I am... We don´t expect the US to help us, we mostly think we should be just fine if your goverment stops trying to help us. That´s just lies they keep telling to sell their budgets and agendas... THEY DO NOT HELP! WE DON`T NEED HELP AND NEVER DID, WE WERE SELF SUFFICIENT NATIONS UNTIL THE IMF, WORLD BANK AND ALL THE OTHER ACTORS IN THIRD WORLD SLAVERY PROGRAMS BUYED OUR POLITICIANS. PLEASE LEAVE US ALONE!!!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lw2525

That's an interesting point. Here in America we are face with an increasing obesity rate. From the rich to the poor in this country.

There are no obese people in France. They use portion control. Asians are the same.

I think Americans are sometimes considered gluttons. "Eat the 56oz steak and you eat for free" Man we have some weird cultures here.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
What about these Genetically modified crops there working on? I thought they were trying to come up with a way to make the seeds in the plants useless so you had to keep on buying seeds from them every year? Be a shame if a big chunk of the world depended on them for shipments and one day they just closed the doors and said, Sorry, got some problems at the seed factory, we won't be shipping anything out for a couple of years. Little or no regular seeds for normal crops in some areas, Now you got world depopulation issues. NOBODY should have even a near monopoly on food supplies.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The price raises because they destroy food not because there is not enough food produced.

Milk is one quick example here. If they produce more milk they get billed for it and most of the milk production is blocked cause of this.

Same happens for a lot of different fruits and i guess it happen also for all the rest. The less, the better for corporations.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thank you, that was some good insight to the problem. Very well stated!

Never believe the government will come to our rescue. It is us and us alone that must fend for ouselves.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
And one other problem is the abuse of fast-foods of course. Fortunately here in Italy we still like to cook stuff by ourselves. But in most of Europe and of course in North America most of the people neither know what the word "cooking" means. They just go and eat in these #ty fast-foods to get a 5 minute bruger and get obese.

people should start to realize that the do it yourself attitude is a much better one. You spend alot less money and you eat better.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by digitalwarrior]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

It's a grocery outlet that caters to restaurants and the public. You dont need a business lisence to shop there. There are some in all large cities.

I also stock up on 2 gallon jugs of maple syrup for 4.95. I figure if I resort to eating squirrels, they would taste better with spices or something to kill the taste.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by digitalwarrior

Maybe the government knows we will kill ourselves by eating all the fast food and die of clogged arteries or heart attack.

Some places sell huge portions and are popular for doing so. I call it a heart attack on a plate.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Thanks, yeah bbq sauce would be another good one to make something edible, lol.

On a serious note, lately I have been worried about my coffee but it's so expensive and since I like fresh coffee I have not stocked up on it. Maybe I should get some freeze dried for that purpose, heck it would be better than nothing and probably worth it's weight in gold.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

see. i can spend like less than 0.90 euros to cook myself something good here. In all these stupid fast food you can aslo spend up to 10 euros to get filled in some way...filled of bad things of course. i've been travelling all europe a lot and i've seen some people neither having a kitchen anymore at home...what the hell? And this is gradually happening in all Europe. Thanks god, if really exist, there is not way to make this culture work in italy. We have too many good things about food to really change into that kind of corporate stupid food culture. Which also give more money in the hands of the elite. people should boycott that.

people is crying for financial crisis...time to get rid of mummy and daddy and start to act like adults. which include also to know how to survive with your own brain and your own hands...and of course rediscover something we discovered like a lot of years ago...

something called: FIRE

[edit on 4-6-2009 by digitalwarrior]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

If more Americans would take the approach to shop at a wholesale club like BJ's or Costco, I feel it would improve SO many aspects of American life as well as the world's starvation problem.

These places sell in bulk for good pricing. By buying from these stores we are not only funneling money into the economy but we are deterring our eating at fast food conglomerates. Aside from that, it makes us prepare food (a good skill to know regardles), spend time with families or friends at dinner, eat CONSIDERABLY better and you have the ability to cook what you will eat, not overcook or stuff your face.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
You are certainly having a harder time of it in the USA than here in the UK. No farms closing down, no huge hike in food prices, and of course nobody starves.

Bio-fuels have had an impact on cereal food production. Global warming with its erratic weather conditions has a major effect of food production.
Our growing consumption of meat is another factor. In the USA alone 157 million tons of cereal legumes and vegetable protein fit for human consumption..is fed to livestock to produce just 28 million tons of animal protein in the form of meat.

Global Corporations eagerly promote grain fed livestock

Global corporations which supply the seeds, chemicals and cattle and which control the slaughterhouses, marketing and distribution of beef, eagerly promote grain-fed livestock. They equate it with a country’s prestige and climbing the “protein ladder” becomes the mark of success.

Human consequences of the shift from food to feed were dramatically illustrated during the Ethiopian famine in 1984. While people starved, Ethiopia was growing linseed cake, cottonseed cake and rapeseed meal for European livestock. Millions of acres of land in the developing world are used for this purpose. Tragically, 80 per cent of the world’s hungry children live in countries with food surpluses which are fed to animals for consumption by the affluent.

Source
www.viva.org.uk...

Even though it makes us feel uncomfortable affluent countries have been part and parcel of this humanitarian crisis.

thank you 11andrew34

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Sometimes I find coffe on sale for 6.50 or less, then buy 2. Can you believe how high coffee prices have jumped.

I also buy instant coffee. I have a few of them and I always take one when I stay in a hotel. It costs less than ordering room service.

Sugar, salt and spices are also important. If you check around online some places deliver bulk food for 4.95, no matter how large or small the order is.

I ordered a few pounds of hard candy. They call it psychological survival food. We would get tired of eating rice everyday.

In the event of Martial law and Military tanks parked outside the grocery stores it's important to be prepared.

One helpful thing I did was google "the first 100 items to disappear from store shelves in an emergency". It gives some good insight.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar1102

well said.

best would be to get your vegetables at some very local places that produce it in the neighbours and stuff. like we have here. I do not know if they actually exist in the US though. This way you also support the small businness that is considerably being devastated by the big chains and is killing the individual opportunity that was represented by small businness.

the result otherwise will be a world of just big chains and subordinate work...and then they can also directly not pay us and give some bonus tickets to buy food and whatever else back in their super chains in change of your work and we are done... read: slaves of ancient egypt had a better living.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Hi, this is global. I'm afraid it does effect the UK maybe not as bad yet.

U.K. Food Crisis Is ‘Not Unthinkable,’ Chatham House Says

www.bloomberg.com...

UK Chief Scientist: Food Crisis Will Bite Before Climate Change
www.treehugger.com...

Crisis in UK agriculture and British farming

www.ukagriculture.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by digitalwarrior

It may be beneficial to stock up on nonhybrid garden seeds, as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join