It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Year of the hungry: 1,000,000,000 afflicted

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I personally dont see how they want the U.S. to do something about this... The U.S. makes up like 15% of all the land in the world and yet they want the U.S. to grow all the food for the poor, well what about the nations that are so close to the starving, or what about the other 85% of the land? I personally think the U.N. should grow their own **** food to hand out to people who ended up that way because they are lazy, now maybe to groups of people who are uneducated and dont know how to do such, but cant we teach them to grow their own food?

The U.S. is not responsible for the world... everyone stop crying for the AID of the U.S. and condemning it for spending trillions of dollars to help rebuild countries... Sounds to me like the world wants to bankrupt the U.S.

Edit to add:

The US Acounts for 16% of the Worlds Land Mass

[edit on 4-6-2009 by rjmelter]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

What is concerning is this food crisis is happening in the US, EU, Australia and other rich countries. The UN has not made food a priority and most likely wont.

I should add we arent so rich anymore, it was a figure of speach.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
If they didn't tax us to death...I'm sure many Americans would donate to such a cause as helping feed the hungry.

I'm worried it's not just taxing us to death. They also plan to raise the interest rate.

If history repeats itself we will have hyperinflation, where a loaf of bread costs a weelbarrow full of money.

I think soome dont understand the US is on the list of global food crisis. We are also at risk, as is the globe.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sentry-

Originally posted by SurvivalGearDepot
reply to post by Sentry-

Why dont you buy a farm and grow food with the sole intent of feeding the poor?

That would be a good start

Because I do not have the resources, and even if I did, it wouldn't make a dent, because I cannot feed the world forever, etc...

The world has to change, and the only way that would happen if we change, and when I say we I mean everyone. If not, we're gonna be in the # forever. :\

Now you grasp the nature of the problem. You cannot feed your neighbors, America cannot keep feeding the world.

We've been leveraging maximum production from agriculture for the past 50 years to try and keep pace with the growing population. We haven't kept up. There are too many people on this planet.

The current population is not SUSTAINABLE.

This is the issue. The world's population has exceeded our resources. This has been predicted for over a century and studied heavily since the 1970's. It isn't a revelation, it was anticipated.

No amount of charity or altruism will stop the problem, it will only make it worse. It is a fact that nature will not allow humans to reproduce if their environment does not provide enough resources in the form of food and water. When you feed the very poor of developing nations and then do not provide birth control, guess what happens? They give birth to more people who are always on the brink of starvation.

Here's an interesting experiment. Feed a stray female cat that has not been spade. You don't even have to feed her every day, but just enough to make sure she is kept alive. Now, guess how many cats you're going to have in a year? Guess what happens to all of them when you stop giving them food?

Humans are animals. We follow the same laws of nature. When we support the poor through welfare programs, not only do we create a bigger problem, but we also create dependency. Expand that to a larger scale, such as a nation or even globally, and you've got a massive problem. It won't be solved by teaching these people to farm or be self-sustaining, because there simply isn't enough arable land and water to go around.

Last year, it was 700 million going hungry, this year it is a billion. That should tell you something. We've simply made the problem bigger, we haven't solved it.

There's not enough food to go around and we can't increase production enough to fill the gap. The only solution is population control. Either we do it, or Mother Nature will.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by VelmaLu

Hi VelmaLu,

Ive always wondered why we havent educated these poor countries on Birth control methods, It would save a lot of money and resources, if we gave these women Birth control pills. I cant imagine how they feel to watch their children starve to death and why they have more to suffer the same fate.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I read on one of these type sites that there was and underground food market in North Korea. They sell and eat human flesh! Remember in Haiti when they were eating mud pies?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by total newbie
I read on one of these type sites that there was and underground food market in North Korea. They sell and eat human flesh! Remember in Haiti when they were eating mud pies?

That is so gross! Where did you ever hear that. I wish I had a source link for that one! I would hate to think we would turn to cannibalism, for survival.

You were right I found one link.

ampontan.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

I am kinda hoping stuff like cannabilism is just fake. But I don't know. In cosmetics sold in Europe testers have found human DNA. These cosmetics, especially lipsticks are from China.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by total newbie

Human DNA found in makeup. That again is so disturbing. You should make your own thread about this. I googled it and found it to have some truth. Wow!

edit grammer

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
People simply don't understand the balance of nature.

Yes a billion people may starve. They should.

When a species reaches a point where the environment cannot sustain their numbers, problems occur. Especially in apex species. Disease and starvation occur in nature. Sorry to be harsh, but mankind cannot run from nature too far no matter how smart we think we are.

With virtually no natural predators humans multiply like mad. The end result will be starvation and disease. Of course as a tool using species we also will use war to secure what food resources we can as well.

It's a balancing act and unfortunately for humanity, nature will not be subdued forever.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkitzoFrenic
We need less people in the world...

These countries with a population of 1 billion or more, it's sickening.

We need to controll the population...

I personally say we could do with 5 Billion less people on this planet.

We are like a virus, spreading and infecting this planet, sucking it dry like parasites.

As I usually say to every misanthropist that comes and makes this type of post... don't let us stop you, please do the world a favour, in your own philosophy's eyes, and kindly kill yourself.

I don't want you dead nor do I hate you, but you clearly do on both counts, so please, be coherent with yourself and stop calling for the deaths of others when you can solve the problem as it is in your mind with your own demise.

I would be happy to see species self loathing out of the genepool. It is the real parasite, a parasitic meme that wants to destroy it's hosts.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld

Year of the hungry: 1,000,000,000 afflicted

www.zmag.org

Despite the West's pledge to halve world hunger, the number of people who are short of food will soon reach a shocking landmark. One billion people will go hungry around the globe next year for the first time in human history, as the international financial crisis deepens, the United Nations has told The Independent on Sunday. Development charities recently called on US president-elect Barack Obama to put the escalating food crisis "front and centre" of his priorities.

Some 963 million people are now undernourished worldwide, according to the most recent survey of the crisis by the
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.americanprogress.org
www.newzjunky.com
en.greenplanet.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
2009 Will Be Year of Global Food Crisis

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

Thats because all of Earth's resources and wealth and anything of value is horded by very few instead of spread around for everyone to use.

Not saying it should be communist but we shouldn't be going into other countries for their resources when we have yet to perfect using ours.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

You have a valid point. I also think we are headed for a fascist society and food rationing will soon be the norm.

We could easily see annual inflation of 20% causing hyperinflation in just 3 years..

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Mindmelding

While SkitzoFrenic's post was crude, it's almost accurate.

The total amount of available arable land minus the space used for infrastructure and housing equates to the amount of food able to be harvested to feed a total population.

Unfortunately after that, there is no more, and starvation occurs.

No matter how smart we as a species believe we are, we cannot break natures laws. Overpopulate and starve.

The obvious simple solution to world hunger is to have less hungry. It's not nice, but who ever said that nature was nice?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I know it's a wildly unpopular idea, but I'll throw it out there anyway.. If you know you don't have enough resources to support yet another mouth to feed, close your legs and/or put on a condom and stop crapping out more little mongrels and expecting 'the world' to take care of them for you.

We need fewer people on this world anyway, and especially fewer in third world countries that aren't really useful or producing much of value.

Or too put it more gently for the tree huggers ... hey man, toke one up and just let nature take its course, duuuuude

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
One billion people will go hungry around the globe next year for the first time in human history

LOL first time in human history? Only in the last few centuries have there even BEEN a billion people, and our population is getting completely out of control.

One day maybe humans will be smart enough to figure out it is not good to birth babies they can't feed. But I realize many here think 6 billion isn't enough, we need 20 billion before they are happy and if one kid starves it can be blamed on the rich or the government.

World Population growth throughout human history....

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Before biofuels started sucking up corn, NAFTA was abused to drive out some competition from small family farms in Mexico.

Originally posted by dizzylizzy
Ghandi said "There is enough for everybody's need and not enough for anybody's greed"

Beautiful quote dizzylizzy, going to keep that one in my wheel house, star for you.

Although it's not just the west wasting food...in the recent thread looking at the counterpoint to overpopulation, I posted some links that just scratched the surface on the massive waste of food that happens in India.

Not that it doesn't probably, ultimately come back to greed as well; they don't have the facilities for storage and processing or even tractors and other modern equipment. Huge amounts of grain gets eaten by rats, and thousands and thousands of tons of produce rots while sitting in ship holds before it's ever allowed to leave port.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Even though I do not have proof, I get the feeling that many of you are talking the talk, but trying to watch others do the walking.

I could only take some of you serious if when you are done with your meals, go to a ghetto and offer it to the homeless people/poor...but we know how many of you do that.

Its easy to address the problem, but do YOU actually care enough to DO something about it?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

With the high unemployment rate, farms closing down, a global economic crisis, people have a hard time paying their bills. Many wealthy people are pawning their jewelry. This Recession has hit everyone to a degree.

Food costs will continue to rise. I think the midle class will soon be gone. It only takes one in a marriage to lose their job, then their home is at risk of foreclosure.

Things are far from over.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Good thread WW, food shortage is going global, thanks for the reminder to keep buying a bag of rice or beans everytime I go to the store, just in case. Rice and beans would keep just about forever I guess, so it's not like you're never going to use it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join