It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Year of the hungry: 1,000,000,000 afflicted

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
If we want to fix the problem, we need to kill off the warlords of the third world countries, and replace them with a stable government, not the crap they have now.

The warlords take about 90% of the food coming into the country for themselves and leave the other 10% of the food for the rest of the country.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

Yes but our government only goes to war for other reasons, usually oil. They wont help with this food crisis. Great point though. They eat like kings while thei citizens starve.

This is happening in the US and other countries, as we speak. If we cant feed ourselves what happens to the poorest countries?

The FDA also said we dont have enough food in the US.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SkitzoFrenic

Well since you volunteered that you can go first

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29
If we want to fix the problem, we need to kill off the warlords of the third world countries, and replace them with a stable government, not the crap they have now.

The warlords take about 90% of the food coming into the country for themselves and leave the other 10% of the food for the rest of the country.

but to do that we would have to stop the European and west from instituting these warlords so they can sell all their countries resources to the countries that instate them for the low cost

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Why do some of you believe it is the duty of developed nations to feed the world?

American taxpayer money should not be used to feed other nations, especially 3rd world nations where the idea of birth control is non existent.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
If they didn't tax us to death...I'm sure many Americans would donate to such a cause as helping feed the hungry.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
If 1 billion people are going hungry, and several hundred million are likely going to starve to death, then really, the situation is going to require more than just a reallocation of resources.

We need a drastic reduction in population. Either we do it voluntarily, or Mother Nature will do it rather cruelly. We have well over two billion people in China and India alone. Those two countries account for one-third of the worlds total population.

Starvation is a blatant example of over population. Although it seems harsh, to continue to feed large populations that are unable to sustain their numbers is to perpetuate the cycle and to lead to other groups starving as well. At least China has taken drastic measures to reduce it's numbers, but India has not.

Do we really want to send them food so that people survive, procreate and make more people who cannot feed themselves?

This isn't about a one time famine, or an 8-year drought, this is an example that there are too many people living on this planet and how our altruistic handouts only exacerbate the problem.

What we need to be doing is sending birth control to these countries, long before we send food. We would be wise to see this trend and begin controlling our own numbers as well. The US has more people than it can support, too. Although we can feed them, we cannot provide enough clean drinking water and fuel. It's just the flip side of the same coin. . . lack of resources.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
This is absolutely ridiculous, almost a billion HUMAN BEINGS die from the simplest thing of all: no food. So sad, really. I bet there are populated planets out in the cosmos that don't even inhabit a billion beings, and to think we let our very own kind go without food, not in the hundreds, or thousands, or hundreds of thousands, but in the bloody millions!?

What's even more ridiculous are the people who say 'lets just nto help at all because it will eventually lead to more deaths if we stop helping them', are you kidding me?

The point is this has to resolved, but I fear it never will. Imagine the trillions spent on the stupidest things like war, or the money spent on making stupid films and countless other things. Hell, the money isn't even the issue, it's the sheer amount of ENERGY that people are contributing and putting into these acts. This is the kind of stuff that just makes me really sad and angry, because there is nothing I can do about it, and even if there were something I can do about it, it will never help the whole and things will always sling shot back.

Hate this world sometimes, and the worse part is it must take some documentary or some superstar "humanitarian" or whatever to get people in tears or to get people to give a damn, as if if just knowing isn't enough.

Pisses me off :\ I can't be alone, can I?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentry-

Why dont you buy a farm and grow food with the sole intent of feeding the poor?

That would be a good start

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SurvivalGearDepot
reply to post by Sentry-

Why dont you buy a farm and grow food with the sole intent of feeding the poor?

That would be a good start

Because I do not have the resources, and even if I did, it wouldn't make a dent, because I cannot feed the world forever, etc...

The world has to change, and the only way that would happen if we change, and when I say we I mean everyone. If not, we're gonna be in the # forever. :\

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Ghandi said "There is enough for everybody's need and not enough for anybody's greed"

We are all children of the earth whatever country we come from. No human should die through lack of water or food the world is rich.
Think how much is thrown away from our own kitchens, resturants, shops.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Do we really want to send them food so that people survive, procreate and make more people who cannot feed themselves?

Yes. Developed countries have controlled populations - third world ones do not. Starving populations make the problem far worse as it seems to me that it has been the problem for a long time.

Furthermore, most of your arguements for population reduction were postulated by Huxley 150 years ago, and much of the starvation in the world is infact created by the same people wanting depopulation.

Starving and rapeing these nations hasn't done anything - it's time for something new.

[edit on 4/6/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

I point out again that we have to many people on earth. If everyone doesn't want to accept it then fine, things will balance out naturally as billions starve to death, become diseased or other horrible things.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I don't accept it because it keeps beying said for the past 150 years. You should try reading the link in my sig.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkitzoFrenic
We need less people in the world...

These countries with a population of 1 billion or more, it's sickening.

We need to controll the population...

I personally say we could do with 5 Billion less people on this planet.

We are like a virus, spreading and infecting this planet, sucking it dry like parasites.

I could not have said it better... The planet would be better off without humans distroying it.

If the governments really cared about global warming they would stop paving the world and plant more food and trees then the co2 levels will come down...

The world is getting warmer from the roads and big cities holding the heat on the planet.

back on topic

This all goes back to the governments mismanaging our food farms for a false claim of human made global warming from cars.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I don't accept it because it keeps beying said for the past 150 years. You should try reading the link in my sig.

Yes it has been said, but not with good science before now. It's easy to see massive akes drying up through irrigation, it's easy to see billions starving already and it's even easier to see the riots that have already gone on in some countries over water.

But hey you can forget all that i'm sure.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SurvivalGearDepot

Hi, it's not that the US is failing to feed the poor countries. The US is in a global food crisis itself. See here.

www.nowpublic.com...

This is a global problem, not only poor countries. Kind a scary.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The world is #ed. Why did I have to be born now, I'm only 20.

This could explain why there are secret underground bases around the world. So when the world turns to # the rich and powerful will go into hiding.

Instead of coming up with a solution we rather let people starve to death. Well if this is the world I'm going to live in, I might as well kill myself now. I don't want to imagine the world when everyone is in chaos because of the lack of food.

Riots, fights, murders etc happening everywhere. But it's not the people fault, it's the people in power. It's because of their brainwashing and manipulation the people don't see what is really happening.

The government should release the free energy technologies they have been buying up and locking away. We are doomed because of a small amount of peoples greed.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentry-

The cost of farming in the US, in another reason many small farms can not continue to make a profit and and simply shutting down.

These farms emply lots of people, as well. This a a problem that affects all of us. Sad!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tim1989
The world is #ed. Why did I have to be born now, I'm only 20.

This could explain why there are secret underground bases around the world. So when the world turns to # the rich and powerful will go into hiding.

Instead of coming up with a solution we rather let people starve to death. Well if this is the world I'm going to live in, I might as well kill myself now. I don't want to imagine the world when everyone is in chaos because of the lack of food.

Riots, fights, murders etc happening everywhere. But it's not the people fault, it's the people in power. It's because of their brainwashing and manipulation the people don't see what is really happening.

The government should release the free energy technologies they have been buying up and locking away. We are doomed because of a small amount of peoples greed.

Please dont worry too much. It may take some time before SHTF. There is still a lot to be happy about. It may just cost more for food.

Sometimes ATS can be scary. We only talk about problems here. Just remember there is more to life to enjoy. You are young.

Reading this only gives you some wisdom and insight. Life may be a bit more difficult for your generation with bailouts but survivable. Be happy!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join