It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

to vote or not to vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
There's the question.

I've been planning to vote tomorrow, I wanted to make my displeasure known to the bunch of shysters we've got in power at the moment.

I'd have a 4 or 5 mile round trip to get to the polling station and back but I thought it would be worth the effort. Especially out in the country, my solitary little vote might make more of a difference out here than back in Town where one or other of the main parties would have a big majority.

But then..... I got word this morning that my Sims 3 game was in the post. The one that should have been out in February but got delayed by 4 long bloody months.

Oh, what if it turns up in the morning? I'll want to play it not go traipsing off for two or three hours just to vote another greedy politician into a position where they can get their snout more comfortably into the trough.

Will my conscience allow me to forego voting just to stay at home and play on my computer all day? Actually, I think it will.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by berenike]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have to admit it myself but this year I felt the same, give me one good person to vote for, find me one good member of parliment. It felt so impossible a task that in the end I just didn't bother!!!!
Lets hope we find a good conscientious MP (if this is at all possible) for the elections next year.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage
Lets hope we find a good conscientious MP (if this is at all possible) for the elections next year.

Unless there's another good pc game out on that day.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

No contest there---you go PLAY

I did go and vote but the polling station is only a few mins away.
And I did'nt vote for any of the mainstream corrupt parties--and it felt real good

bye bye to idiot Brown real soon as well.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If you don't make yourself heard, you really have no basis for complaint with what you get as far as electorates.

Many people have killed and died for the right you're tossing away. Still though, it is your "right" to vote/not vote, that is the essence of such freedoms.

No lecture, but a reminder that in order to have a voice in government, you have to exercise that right...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I do see what you're saying - that's the same point the 'angel on my shoulder' was making.

However, I didn't vote these buggers in. For several years now there's been no-one to represent me - that's the beauty of living in a democracy. Edit to add - the opposition hasn't been a lot better than the government.

Now with (hopefully) only a few months or so to go before a general election, I think I can wait.

And I do believe it's my right to not vote for anyone unless I think they are a worthy candidate. Some of us would like voting slips with the option 'none of the above'

I'll give you an example - over the last couple of days a member of the government has resigned, something to do with the hugely entertaining expenses scandal. Some of her constituents don't approve of her and would rather not vote for her. They said so on TV yesterday. BUT, unfortunately for them there's no-one else representing the Labour Party to vote for. It's her or no-one.

This thread was only me being silly, but this article illustrates what we're up against:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 4-6-2009 by berenike]

top topics

join