It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama White House Names June Gay Pride Month

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
What do you think is this a step in the right direction for the U.S.? or do you think it could hurt the U.S.? Looks to me as if this is more for gay unions then marriage. Kind of confused as to what this will do for the country. (not meant to be an insult in any way.)

After staying mum on gay marriage through the upholding of California's Proposition 8, the Obama White House has spoken out--sort of.

Yesterday, the President issued a proclamation saying that June 2009 would be Pride Month for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community--by far a most advanced move for an American President.

Full Article Here

Snippet of the Press Release:

Forty years ago, patrons and supporters of the Stonewall Inn in New York City resisted police harassment that had become all too common for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. Out of this resistance, the LGBT rights movement in America was born. During LGBT Pride Month, we commemorate the events of June 1969 and commit to achieving equal justice under law for LGBT Americans.

LGBT Americans have made, and continue to make, great and lasting contributions that continue to strengthen the fabric of American society. There are many well-respected LGBT leaders in all professional fields, including the arts and business communities. LGBT Americans also mobilized the Nation to respond to the domestic HIV/AIDS epidemic and have played a vital role in broadening this country's response to the HIV pandemic.

Due in no small part to the determination and dedication of the LGBT rights movement, more LGBT Americans are living their lives openly today than ever before. I am proud to be the first President to appoint openly LGBT candidates to Senate-confirmed positions in the first 100 days of an Administration. These individuals embody the best qualities we seek in public servants, and across my Administration -- in both the White House and the Federal agencies -- openly LGBT employees are doing their jobs with distinction and professionalism.

Full Release Here

[edit on 3-6-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The white house is basically asking the Christians to overthrow the government/

I think that group has had enough. Anyone been to church within the last year? A lot of these churches are extremely pissed at the government.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This shows Obama really does have some backbone.

It's dangerous for the government, in a country where bigots abound, but he obviously thinks it's worth standing up for peoples' rights.

It's good to see an American president working towards freedom from harassment and discrimination.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Let me preface this comment by saying that Im not a homophobe nor do I harbor any ill will towards gay people in any way.

Nothing personal against gays, but what exactly is there to be proud of?

I choose to sleep with another man, great, but again...is that not a ridiculous and arbitrary thing to be proud of? Is it truly necessary to have an entire month dedicated to the fact that they are gay?

All being gay means is that you choose to have sex with someone of the same sex. Again, what is there to be proud of? If being gay is in fact something you are born with and not a choice then WHY have a month to display pride in something that nobody had a say in?

You dont see blind people demanding a blind pride month, or fat people demanding a proud to be fat month. What the hell is so special about a person choosing to sleep with someone of the same sex? Why does that make anyone special?

This country and its leadership have truly lost their minds. All it is as far as I can tell is a group of gays and a liberal administration throwing the issue into the faces of those who they know it will infuriate.

Pointless political posturing.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Yet another reason that shows Nobama is not fit to hold the office that he does. Let's see,,,, in the few month's since he's been in that office he's shown that he's for abortion, for homosexuals, and for the muslim world. HHMM, yet when he was running for office he swore he was a practicing Christian but he stands against everything Christian! The AntiChrist? Perhaps.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

What a great way to show the love and tolerance of Jesus Christ! Christian voice, indeed...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

It's dangerous for the government, in a country where bigots abound, but he obviously thinks it's worth standing up for peoples' rights.

what rights do gay people not have that straights have?

oh i forgot they have EXACTLY the same rights as everyone else! lol....

thats why this movement is a joke...they arent oppressed or anything

IMO its all fake news created to distract most people from real news

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I wonder how much you understand of what gay people have been through.

I know of one place, St. Kilda Pier, where it was weekly entertainment for straight guys to throw a gay guy off the pier and taunt him as he drowned. And the police wouldn't interfere because it was only a "homo".
Even now gay people often have to hide their orientation from others.If I understand correctly, if you are gay in the military you have to keep that a secret.

And the worst part of it is that people treated with contempt internalise that contempt, and hate themselves.

Gay pride is about healing from those injuries and showing the community that you are human and have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness just like the rest.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

This country and its leadership have truly lost their minds. All it is as far as I can tell is a group of gays and a liberal administration throwing the issue into the faces of those who they know it will infuriate.

exactly thats why i think its being used as a distraction by infuriating a bunch of ppl then allowing them to do
"other things" without many people noticing

basically im saying its a smoke screen, a distraction

maybe its designed to tie up the christians for a few months ?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
what rights do gay people not have that straights have?

- The right to not have to hide their orientation in the armed forces,

- The right to marry the partner they want to spent their lives with,

- The right to be listed as next of kin to their partner, and support their partner in hospital,

- The right to inheritance of their partner's assets that a married person has,

The right to not be discriminated against because of your orientation . . .

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion52

Oh cry me a freakin river. When God destroyed Sodom for the very same things was he showing compassion? No he was showing justice. He gave us laws and he enforced them. Discerning right from wrong is not being a hater or anything it's just discerning, something people in the US are losing the ability to do.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Isn't this just getting a little... much?

I mean, it's nice to make sure that people are feeling equal... but, really?

I guess everyone is a minority in some way...

I declare July to be "Individual's Month"... the ultimate minority...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

So, it's all about hiding and material things? Is that what you're saying? Sounds pretty crazy to me. So, they are not happy with being gay with one another,,, they have the need to display it for the world to see?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This is just to quiet the gay population on the subject of gay marriage.

He's trying to calm people down...just like he did with the Reagan deal yesterday when he announced the celebration of Reagans 100th birthday..which I admit...completely dumbfounded me. To me it seems like he is trying to appease some of the anger in the country.

In reality..this means nothing and does nothing...it's a kind gesture..but that's really all it is.

Next.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Let me preface this comment by saying that Im not a homophobe nor do I harbor any ill will towards gay people in any way.

Nothing personal against gays, but what exactly is there to be proud of?

I choose to sleep with another man, great, but again...is that not a ridiculous and arbitrary thing to be proud of? Is it truly necessary to have an entire month dedicated to the fact that they are gay?

All being gay means is that you choose to have sex with someone of the same sex. Again, what is there to be proud of? If being gay is in fact something you are born with and not a choice then WHY have a month to display pride in something that nobody had a say in?

You dont see blind people demanding a blind pride month, or fat people demanding a proud to be fat month. What the hell is so special about a person choosing to sleep with someone of the same sex? Why does that make anyone special?

You are AWESOME!
Glad ATS has members with common sense!
Was giving up on it lately...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
this really is stupid lol

it is about $$$

see my wife and i live together and we are not married (common law)

we didnt ask the government for permission, why do you?

unless of course, you just want the MONEY, then i understand

this isnt about gay rights i guess, its about financial issues lol

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Spoken like a true scholar. I tend to be a bit rough when debating on here but you said it so well. It was a pleasure to read your response. I never have understood the whole point of these whole pride things. Black pride month, gay pride,,,, just a polite way of telling a group of people Here, now shut up.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This explains EVERYTHING!
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Then why hasn't God destroyed San Fransisco?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

He destroyed Sodom because the sodomites surrounded Lot's house and demanded to have relations with two angels, that was the sin. The old testament was mainly for Jews and was part of the old covenant with God. Jesus came to preach love and tolerance. He started the new covenant with God, and the new testament are his teachings.

Using Jesus to justify your hate and prejudice is wrong to me. But you're entitled to your free will, just as I am!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join