It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hampshire passes gay marriage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

New Hampshire passes gay marriage

news.bbc.co.uk

Both houses of the US New Hampshire legislature have approved a bill allowing gay marriage in the state.

If, as expected, the bill is approved by the state's governor, John Lynch, New Hampshire will become the sixth US state to permit same-sex marriage.

Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Vermont and Iowa already allow it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'm not from the US so I don't know how appropriate it is for me to comment.

I think it's important to give gay couples the acknowledgement and legal recognition that other heterosexual couples receive. It's strange coming from a UK based person to see laws being made state by state, especially ones that have such far reaching and controversal consequences.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-6-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Good news for same - sex couples and a smart move by the New Hampshire government to include all members of its society on an equal legal basis.

Six states now, with more that recognize unions from other states or have civil unions for gay couples.

I have yet to see an uptick in states considering the legalization of child molestation, polygamy, or beastiality. I wonder if perhaps that was a red herring argument? Have attacks on religious persons opposing gay marriage increased in those areas? Didn't think so.

I suppose the only thing this has done is give every consenting adult an equal opportunity at happiness. Well, that and increased revenue to the states from the marriage industry.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This must be why Pat Robertson was in such a foul mood today. I've never heard such hateful and venomous filth being spewed form someones mouth than that of the 700 club founder. It was either this news or the news that Dick Cheney supports gay marriage that got to him but man oh man was he in a foul mood.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Marriage has been defined as a union between MAN and WOMAN since as long as people can remember. Marriage is also a religious sacrament. Being gay goes against everything most major religions preach, so please explain to me why lately people bend to the whim of anybody who disagrees with something? If they want to be together, a civil union or domestic partnership is exactly the same without the religious precedent.

In my opinion, this is the abomination of desolation as described in the Bible. They have turned a religious ceremony into a mockery of everything it stood for.

I have no problem with gays, or their desire to be together. I do have a problem with the making a mockery out of the term Marriage. And while I am not stuck with any single religion, I do believe this to be a spit in the face of every believer around the world who recognizes marriage as a union between man and women before god.

Thanks for totally ruining marriage and its sanctity. A religious ceremony in a church that believes homosexuality is an abomination should not be forced to wed people who in the eyes of god are specifically mentioned as unworthy of the kingdom of God.

Let them be together, give them equality, but for gods sake don't spit in the face of every major religion around the world.

[edit on 6/3/2009 by deadline527]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I think they are more worried about the civil rights marriage grants you.

Like sharing property and that , don't think they are into church , just as the church is not that much into them.

At least in my country you can marry outside a church. You just have to fill some papers and there , congratulations married!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Saying marriage is an industry is fairly insulting as well. The sanctity of marriage started to crumble with divorce rates and 54 hour anulled "marriages". This is just stomping on everything.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
There's absolutely no reason gay couples shouldn't be allowed to get married. Good job New Hampshire, you took a step in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roufas
I think they are more worried about the civil rights marriage grants you.

Like sharing property and that , don't think they are into church , just as the church is not that much into them.

At least in my country you can marry outside a church. You just have to fill some papers and there , congratulations married!

That's what civil unions and domestic partnerships are for. There is no reason to utterly destroy the concept of marriage when there is other perfectly fine ways to go about being together. This is what we get for being a nation of politically correct pansies.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by fbnks

Apparently you aren't quite grasping the difference between a secular marriage contract and a religious ceremony. And no, calling marriage industry isn't an insult because it has nothing to do with the divorce industry. Marriage industry are the wedding planners, convention centers, florists, bakers, etc. that all take part in adding their expertise/products that are needed for any wedding.

And to those that would harp on the 'ruin' of marriage's sanctity: please. Through the course of the entirety of human history, marriage has been a business contract between two families in which a woman is traded like a prized cattle for the benefit of both families and at the expense of the couple involved. It's still like that for a very, very large portion of humanity.

Once again, NH legalizing gay marriage has nothing to do with any Christian church or any other religion and will have absolutely 0 effect on said institutions, and the 'sanctity' of religious marriage remains untouched regardless of how much you may fear a gay couple legally expressing their love through a state contract.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

And why can't they instead just get a domestic partnership? Do they HAVE to be MARRIED? No, they dont. They just want to be like the rest of minorities and force the world to change everything to cater to the 1% that complains.

Look what is happening to the UK with their muslim population. This political correctness needs to stop. We have the proper legal channels for EVERYBODY to become a couple in the eyes of the state. Why do they have to go the extra steps to destroy Marriage and everything its stood for?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It doesn't go against what "most major religions preach". Sorry to tell you people, but there is no singular "correct" Christianity. Each Church has different ideas, and each person has different ideas. So its equally right to say Christianity is for gay marriage as it is against it.

You can't infringe on the rights of other people, no matter what your beliefs are. Marriage is a legal contract, do you not think gays should be able to form a legal contract? That doesn't make sense.

If they want to be together, a civil union or domestic partnership is exactly the same without the religious precedent.

Does it honestly matter? Words are just words, nothing more. If two people who you never will meet want to be "married", let them. Why you would care about a title given to two people you'll never come into contact with is beyond me. Love your neighbor as yourself and love God with all your heart, body, and soul. Focus on those like Jesus said, and you'll be good.

In my opinion, this is the abomination of desolation as described in the Bible. They have turned a religious ceremony into a mockery of everything it stood for.

I hate to rehash this but "they" shouldn't be viewed as exclusively gay. Heterosexuals make a mockery of marriage, why don't you focus your hate on Britney Spears and other who have been married and divorced many many times? You guys never care about how your own "clan" is ruining things, but you always blame others. Once you remove the beam that is your own eye, then will you be able to take it out of your brothers, as is said. You guys think you're so righteous, what a joke. Hypocrites more likely. Focus on making YOUR marriage work, and focus on making your life work, do you think you'll get blamed for the actions of other people? I don't get that.

There is diversity in every religion whether you like it or not. Being a believer in God doesn't mean you can't support gay marriage. Some of you people that think you got it down when it comes to these things are way off, stop accusing others and love your neighbor. The Bible even says, as you judge, you will be judged. Do you have any flaws that you would like not to be judged on? Then don't judge others.

This is what we get for being a nation of politically correct pansies.

Yeah, I suppose when we started treated women and blacks equally we were being all politically correct pansies as well. Those were the good 'ol days when women couldn't vote and you always had a slave to do your dirty work.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Because this is not about the divorce rates.

This is about homosexuals wanted to be MARRIED. Marriage implies a church, and a priest/pastor/minister to wed the couple. How can you support something that is explicitly deemed an abomination in the Bible to be forced upon a church of God?

They should not be allowed to wed in a church, nor have any priest, pastor, or minister wed them. If they want to be married, they must remove any religious symbolism of a religion that strictly forbids homosexuality.

As said, I support every religion of the world. What I dont support is blasphemy in any way shape or form.

And I have nothing wrong with equal rights. I dont see where you pulled that from. I do though have a problem with destroying something I think is a very important religious ceremony.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527
reply to post by Avenginggecko

And why can't they instead just get a domestic partnership? Do they HAVE to be MARRIED? No, they dont. They just want to be like the rest of minorities and force the world to change everything to cater to the 1% that complains.

Look what is happening to the UK with their muslim population. This political correctness needs to stop. We have the proper legal channels for EVERYBODY to become a couple in the eyes of the state. Why do they have to go the extra steps to destroy Marriage and everything its stood for?

Explain to me how your line of reasoning is different than those that supported the "separate but equal" policies of segregated America?

Allowing a gay couple a marriage contract in the state has absolutely nothing to do and no effect on religious marriage ceremonies, and there isn't any reputable evidence you can show anyone that gay marriage has done a thing to religious heterosexual marriage.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Because this is not about the divorce rates.

This is about homosexuals wanted to be MARRIED. Marriage implies a church, and a priest/pastor/minister to wed the couple.

No it doesn't. Lots of people get married in lots of different places, and two people can get married without ever setting foot in a church.

They should not be allowed to wed in a church, nor have any priest, pastor, or minister wed them. If they want to be married, they must remove any religious symbolism of a religion that strictly forbids homosexuality.

Since churches are private institutions, that's up to each individual church to decide. Believe it or not, there are Christian churches that don't share your prejudice towards homosexuals.

And I have nothing wrong with equal rights. I dont see where you pulled that from. I do though have a problem with destroying something I think is a very important religious ceremony.

I hate to break it to you, but marriage has been around much longer than Christianity. There are people of all different faiths and backgrounds that get married, and its not 'blasphemous' at all.

If you don't have a problem with equal rights, as you claim, then certainly you cannot have a problem with equal rights for homosexuals. "Equal Rights" is not a two-way street; either everyone has them or no one has them.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Actuall you are showing your ignorance of Christianity here. There are not Christian churches that accept homosexuality. If they are a church and teach the Bible then they can't possibly teach that homosexuality is acceptable behavior. When someone CHOOSES to be gay they choose to disregard God's rules for humanity. If they do not believe in God then that's their choice,,, if they are gay that's their choice, but how in the world can you believe in the Christian God and live an actively sinful lifestyle and think God's ok with it? I'm sure the Christian bashers are trolling this thread so bring it on.
Again if someone chooses gayness that's their business but leave marriage out of it.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
reply to post by drwizardphd

Actuall you are showing your ignorance of Christianity here. There are not Christian churches that accept homosexuality. If they are a church and teach the Bible then they can't possibly teach that homosexuality is acceptable behavior. When someone CHOOSES to be gay they choose to disregard God's rules for humanity. If they do not believe in God then that's their choice,,, if they are gay that's their choice, but how in the world can you believe in the Christian God and live an actively sinful lifestyle and think God's ok with it? I'm sure the Christian bashers are trolling this thread so bring it on.
Again if someone chooses gayness that's their business but leave marriage out of it.

Actually you are showing your ignorance. Unitarian churches perform gay marriages.

Gods Rules for Humanity?, what happened to...

God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that who so ever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

It does not say...

God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that who so ever believeth in him except for gays and who ever else we deem an abomination, shall not perish but have everlasting life.

GOD made me who and what I am. Believe that or not. Its between him and I. But dont say I have a choice unless from the womb I given an option.

Dax

[edit on 3-6-2009 by ImzadiDax]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ImzadiDax

God's laws specificly say homosexuality is wrong. How is a Christian going to teach the Bible and just skip those parts. God's laws also say murder is wrong but I guess we can skip that part as well. Just skip the parts that you don't like. Whatever.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Please don't give me the crap that people are born gay. That's horse crap. Are you telling me that people are born pedophiles or rapists? All sexual disfunctions. People try the whole bull thing of trying to convince themselves that even though they are living against nature that somehow they are not at fault for it. Hey, if that makes them sleep better then whateva. According to the logic of homosexuals they say they can't help who they are attracted to. Tell me the difference between a man attracted to other men, and a man attracted to 15 year old girls or to dogs or sheep. What's the difference? I'm not talking about the act itself, but rather the attraction. Why is someone with an attraction to the same sex supposed to be ok but someone with an attraction to teenage girls or animals considered perverts? There is no difference according to homosexual logic. Why do you think we were born men and women? If we were intended to all have sex then why two different genders?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice

God's laws specificly say homosexuality is wrong. How is a Christian going to teach the Bible and just skip those parts. God's laws also say murder is wrong but I guess we can skip that part as well. Just skip the parts that you don't like. Whatever.

The bible has been rewritten how many times? Do we really know what the original said? I really don't think anyone at this point knows.

I dont know what you mean about the murder part, for I was born a lesbian not a murderer. I hope you aren't drawing a line between them and myself.

Those without sin.. glass houses, pot, kettles and all of that...

I am not attacking you, I just really dont get how you can say I am in sin with God but God made me this way... 'splain that please.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join