It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Face Bullet Shortage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Police Face Bullet Shortage

www.wsmv.com

SPRING HILL, Tenn. -- Police departments throughout middle Tennessee said they are faced with delays in ammunition shipments. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, along with gun owners who are stocking up on supplies, are causing the deficiency, said ammo producers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Everything out of stock, here we go. Although I'm not from the US, I've been following the situation closely. I couldn't imagine a country as the US running out of ammo, but with so many people stocking up it is not that surprising either. Apart from a survivalist point of view, what other reasons people have to stock up so much now?

www.wsmv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Oh nooo the police can't get enough bullets to mow down the surfs! What ever will we do?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

If I had way too much money(because of a bailout) ,and I wanted to make trouble, I would buy up all the ammo. I think someone is buying all tha ammo before it reaches the stores. This could be the military or some faction that is anti gun. Ammo making is a hobby for some. The police may need to be creative.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Do not worry the profane, the police will murder anyone they want anyway.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
From the Original Source:

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, along with gun owners who are stocking up on supplies, are causing the deficiency, said ammo producers.

So, is this slight-of-hand how they will do it..?

Make it look like there is not enough ammo for law enforcement to set a precedent of not selling any to civilians...

How could the populace complain about a lack of ammunition when our Law Enforcement Agencies don't even have any...

We are screwed...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
While the black rifles are starting to make an appearance again, the ammo is difinitely still scarce. A buddy of mine purchased a pistol and could not find any ammo for it at all. I have several friends in law enforcement and all of them have stated that ammo is very scarce for their departments. I have also been told by those who have traveled to Utah that while pricey, ammo is still available there.

This is turning out to be quite the pickle. Somthing smells to high heaven about this scenario.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

I think you win the prize on that one. I went to wally world the other night and saw boxes and boxes of 12 guage. Didn't see too much of a shortage there.

What better way to limit what we can buy then to say there isn't enough for our 'protectors?' They can then sieze it all...hmm...kinda reminds me of WWII when everyone had to turn in their copper and stuff...for the 'war effort.'

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well, everyone I know is stocking up on ammo for two reasons. First is they think it's going to be at least partially banned soon. Second is economics 101 in that demand rises when supply decreases. There's a bit of mob frenzy thrown in there too. As an aside I'd say it's a good time to take up shooting a coal burner if you really like the sport.

As far as the police, I really don't see why they need as much as they use. I realize that training is important but I can not shoot for a pretty long time and still hit what I need to with no problem when I pick up a gun. Most cops never fire their weapon in the line of duty other than putting down a dog or something anyway. If you can't hit a person sized target at close range without regularly shooting thousands of rounds you probably shouldn't be carrying the thing in the first place imo.

Free unlimited plinking is a nice perk but times are tough all over

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Perhaps it's a combination of black ops mass buying, [armed] forces, police practice ranges, hobbyists and dissenters, or perhaps they just want to jack the price as high as possible with fabricated scarcity.

Still, and in light of recent anniversaries, I wonder what the U.S. Government would do in a Tienemen Square type of scenario...would they blaze, burn, slice and dice every last protester or would they back down and finally address the problems We The People are so obviously highly concerned with? Think they might have practiced this already? Non-lethals with that magnitude of numbers?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Interesting comments. Is it plausible that it is being considered to restrict the sales of ammo in the future. They have been trying various things to restrict the possession/sales of guns but failed. If restricting gun possession/sales fails, why wouldn't you simply forbid the sales of ammo?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It's what some people I know think. It's easier to just restrict the ammo than try to go after the guns. Going after guns would also probably political suicide. Unless they really restrict it, I don't see it helping any existing problem. -It doesn't take much ammo to be really naughty.

Assuming some sort of restriction happens, that would certainly suggest it's for some big changes

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well, weapons and ammo sales are the one thing that have seen a significant boost since Obama took office. Thanks, Barry!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I wonder how safe people would feel if they knew that everyone had a gun on them at all times. I know I would feel quite safe, and I'd be a little more considerate of others as well, I'm sure.

To actually have the consequences of doing unto others what you couldn't bare yourself actually happen once in awhile?

Would even the most desperate and hungry person try to rob someone if they knew everyone else in the store had a gun too? It's just mutually assured destruction on a much more individualized scale. It wouldn't take long for them to figure out that subterfuge and larceny (non violent, covert thievery) is much safer and that they produce results much more frequently - a much better bet...as it were.

TPTB can never let this scenario happen, for the more they have, the more they can lose, the more they fear, the more desperate and willing to do anything to ensure their property's safety do they become (did that sound a bit like Yoda? lol), regardless of human cost and loss of personal virtue, dignity and integrity. But again, and as crude as it sounds, if they all had guns, I'm sure they'd feel a bit safer, and perhaps find that human virtue turns out to be a much more common occurrence because of it.

Yes, it seems like a wrong or bad thing for everyone to have guns (that's obviously something surface thinkers have shoved down our throats for decades at least), but if we did, I believe we'd eventually evolve into humans without the need of assuring safety in such a way. Perhaps we could eventually even take it for granted.

I know, I know...pipe-dream.

EDIT: typo & minor expansion

[edit on 30-6-2009 by lagnar]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
reply to post by chapter29

I think you win the prize on that one. I went to wally world the other night and saw boxes and boxes of 12 guage. Didn't see too much of a shortage there.

Most of it is all useless birdshot. Not really good for any sort of home protection scenarios. Hell, a man can take a blast of it right in the face and survive. Just ask Cheney's hunting buddy.

new topics

top topics

join