It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newspapers want U.S. help, not bailout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Newspapers want U.S. help, not bailout

www.reuters.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Many U.S. companies consider lobbying the government just another cost of doing business. When newspapers want help from Uncle Sam, the cost could be their reputation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.editorandpublisher.com

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Newspapers asking the the government for a hand out? Of all businesses, the press asking for assistance from the entity they are supposed to be critical of.

Cut and dry, this is a clear conflict of interest. How could any media institution report critically about the same individuals that are buttering their bread? I find this suggestion as insane on the part of the newspaper industry. It's as though our free-press is selling their soul to stay afloat. I mean we have just witnessed what the government did to GM after accepting the bailout funds.

This step could lead to the government having influence on the press. They are not going to help newspapers if their isn't something in it for them. For instance, we'll give you the money you need as long as you omit that quote and change that fact. That's how it can go down if this happens. So will the publishing companies that accept this "helping hand," slowly become the Joseph Goebbels for the United States because they owe the government?

Very disturbing article. I can't believe our press is so concerned with staying afloat that they would possibly sacrifice their objectivity just to stay in business.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

If only more people knew the simple joys of "reading" as opposed to "watching".
Yes it takes a little more effort to flip a page than pressing button on a remote but worth it nonetheless.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I've been waiting for the press to ask for tax payers money.

Fascism is so close it's scary.

The g'ment will own manufacturing, banks and now the press

Fascist governments forbid and suppress criticism and opposition to the government and the fascist movement.

Wiki

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
the newspaper industry is at serious risk of going under. im a communications major, and supposedly there isnt a sngle paper in canada that is capable of supporting itself sustainably. mabey a sign of the time, but i perfer the paper over tv or internet news... its more accessable. I hope the government makes newpapers a priority

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
If they can pull this off Chairman O would love it. The government control the banks, the military industrial complex and manufacturing base, and the press. It is a perfect trifecta of tyranny.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I can't believe no one else is reviewing this thread. The situation highlighted in the article can be very serious if implemented. Again, the government may have a stake in the media if it helps the newspapers out of their financial peril.

We've seen the pressure the government has put on the automobile industry since they accepted their assistance from Uncle Sam. If the government helps newspapers they are going to expect something back in return, whether it be self censorship at the hands of the media or reporting outright fallacies, so that government can save face. This decision on the part of the media is a slippery slope and if adopted can have perilous consequences on an informed American public.

So let me sound the alarm again and resurrect this thread before it dies.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
reply to post by Jakes51

If only more people knew the simple joys of "reading" as opposed to "watching".
Yes it takes a little more effort to flip a page than pressing button on a remote but worth it nonetheless.

The problem is, particularly due to ATS, that the news I read in newspapers is old when it is released. News papers are dead, only the ''oldies'' among us disagree. Being 22, and I don't say I don't like the opinion articles in news papers and certain other sections, but news papers are dead

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
All good points, and another one to consider is the obvious, "Why pay for the newspaper when you can get the news free on the net or TV?"

I'm not sure how it will shake out. However, bringing the news to you isn't free. There are all kinds of costs involved in getting news to a person.

In order for news to continue (either print or web) in the long term those costs will have to be paid by "someone" - either through subscriptions, ad dollars or bailouts.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I agree with you and the media needs an income stream no doubt about it. However, I don't think they should be in bed with the government. There has be a line between a free press and any government for a fully functioning democracy or republic. There are other ways for newspapers to deal with their financial difficulties but not through the government. Just give the government that inch to meddle in the affairs of media, and they will most certainly take a mile. We've seen it with their bailouts.

First newspapers become pawns for the government, then maybe television goes through economic woes, and then quite possibly internet news services. So we must hold the line in keeping the government out of the news business.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I agree with you on the govt. involvment. Just too many "bad" things that can happen as a result of that. It would not be in the best interests of a "free press" at all.

In some respects the newspaper problem isn't all that different from that of the recording industry problems regarding the various ways you can get the product for free.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I think the government bought and paid for the newspapers a long time ago. If they had done their job and exposed the government trash on a daily basis they wouldn't need help. A lot of people are tired of the press cover ups and lies. If we got some truth we might read them again.

top topics

join