It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News Anchor bows to Obama

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I don't think his bow is a matter of courtesy. They would do this with no other American. The office of president does not hold or promote one to royal status, nor does it make one a demi-god.

My next door neighbor is 72. He is Cuban, he keeps an immaculate yard and is well respected by everyone in the neighborhood. He never fails to speak to me, and I am very busy, so sometimes I am short with him.

I give the same type of reverent nod/bow to him every single time we shake hands. He is not a demi-god or royalty. He is a well-respected generous elder man.

The same goes for my best friend's father when he visits from California, and I hug and kiss his mother more respectfully than my own

There are dozen's of hand shakes that mean different things. The upper-hand, the finger squeeze, the extra hand-on-elbow, the two hand, etc.

I reverently bow often, yet I serve or fear no man, and I don't believe in royalty!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin

Originally posted by Kevin_X1
...obviously the media is going to respect the leader of their nation as much as possible... seing as how, well you know, hes the president?

Curious, was that meant to be sarcastic or did you miss the last eight years?

if bush was at your door, with all his bushy power, i dont think youd be so easy to flip him off and turn your back on him. now i know its a free country... but common. some of us are a little more free then other, especially the big cheese. oh yah and the past eight years may have been... interesting (im sure your foreign policies would be much more sound, right?), but this is a brand new president, with a brand new rule book. CONTEMPORISE GUY!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
They are bowing to him because of the demon inside him, while the demon is not in george bush anymore, and he does not look like a leader anymore does he.

These people all know obama has to take in a certain demon to be president and that is who they are bowing too, lol.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1
A slight bow is a means of respect, something Conservatives have a hard time grasping.

Your right, conservatives should take a lesson on respect from the liberals during the eight years Bush was in office.

Originally posted by jd140
Royalty aren't the only people who are fortunate to be bowed to. Unless of course all the citizens of Japan, China and other bowing cultures are royalty.

We aren't in Japan, China or any other Asian nation. It is not our custom, and I think it is a dangerous path to travel to start even remotely associating the office of president with royalty, OR even to elevate the person of president to something higher than just a citizen performing a service.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Wolf321]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

So because it isn't our custom we shouldn't do it?

You guys are grasping and the sad thing is that you will never stop grasping at any tiny thing that might make Obama look bad.

Very sad considering there are so many other things to rag Obama on.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X1

Actually what I meant was that I do think the media should respect the President. The office of the President should command respect no matter if the office holder has an (R) or a (D) next to his name. It just seems to me that respect is flowing now when there was rarely any before.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

ahh ok sorry i get sarcastically off my rocker sometimes

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I didn't post this small event to make it my or anyone's platform against Obama. I was just tossing it out there as another item, however small, to show something wrong with the situation in America, especially related to the current administration.

And yes, because it isn't American custom to bow to the POTUS, I do not think it should be done due to its association and precedence it sets that I have mentioned before.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Wolf321]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

God forbid someone shows respect to the President.

Seriously, if you watched the whole thing you would find that your fear is not warranted. But I guess since the great Glenn Beck mentioned it then it must be true.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I didn't need this video or the program itself to warrant my fear. It was already warranted by the actions of the President, his cabinet and the Democrat run congress over the past year.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

So it really doesn't matter what others think, you intent was to turn this into an Obama bash thread as I origionally posted.

If you don't support him then don't. I'm not a fan of his, but I'm not going to try and make something out of nothing as you are. I'm not that petty.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Well, if questioning the submissive behavior of the media towards the President equates to Obama bashing, then I suppose you can link it that way.

And I don't think an major news anchor bowing to the President is nothing, merely minor in comparison to other issues in the same category.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
reply to post by jd140

Well, if questioning the submissive behavior of the media towards the President equates to Obama bashing, then I suppose you can link it that way.

And I don't think an major news anchor bowing to the President is nothing, merely minor in comparison to other issues in the same category.

It is Obama bashing and it is about nothing.

I called you out on it and now I am done with this thread. I refuse to give you any more points with my posts.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

AGREED. Completely agree.
Anywho, media types were far more scared of Bush. He even threatened the guys who created South Park when they made that satire about George W and his family. That show lasted maybe a season as a result.
Also, I find it funny how a few weeks ago everyone was critcizing Obama for bowing to the Saudi King. Now we're criticizing him for people bowing to him. For now on Presidents should be warned never to bow and not to be bowed to. Maybe, Obama should wear a sign, "No Bows Allowed!"

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Wolf321

My next door neighbor is 72. He is Cuban, he keeps an immaculate yard and is well respected by everyone in the neighborhood. He never fails to speak to me, and I am very busy, so sometimes I am short with him.

I give the same type of reverent nod/bow to him every single time we shake hands. He is not a demi-god or royalty. He is a well-respected generous elder man.

The same goes for my best friend's father when he visits from California, and I hug and kiss his mother more respectfully than my own

There are dozen's of hand shakes that mean different things. The upper-hand, the finger squeeze, the extra hand-on-elbow, the two hand, etc.

I reverently bow often, yet I serve or fear no man, and I don't believe in royalty!

getreadyalready,I think you have described the act and motivations of a respectful bow very well !

Respect is something you give and not something you expect as an entitlement

When you serve someone that you respect there is great satisfaction

However, the difference with this Brian Williams bow is that this act of respect was part of an act in a television program

So, the act of showing respect to President Obama carries a message of obligation to the viewers, or at least is a confirmation of respect as an entitlement to the office of president

Brian Williams may know Barack Obama well enough to personally respect him. He may simply respect his policies or the office that he holds

The issue is that the viewer does not know the back story as to why Brian Williams was moved to bow as he bid farwell.

The viewer only sees this act of respect and is left to draw their own conclusions, which in some cases it may be seen as an act of a subordinate deferring to a superior.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NWRHINO

Thank you for compliment, and I do see your point. As a journalist, and as much of their conversation will not be aired, the bow could send a wrong signal. It could also send a correct signal that this man should be respected.

I haven't formed my personal opinion of Obama yet, but all the spin doctoring and frivolous attacks on him are cornering me, and they tend to push me to his side more and more. That is a very short clip form the OP, I saw some of the run-up ads to the interview. I would hope that someone watching the whole program could put the parting formalities in the proper perspective, whatever that may be.

I would also hope that Brian Williams, having met and interviewed many powerful people, and attained a very prestigious position as a journalist, would show good character judgment, and we could put some credence in his personal opinion of Obama. Isn't that the whole point of a journalist, even though it has been thoroughly bastardized lately?!?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

I am sorry but I thought the NBC "special" was one of the biggest jokes I have ever seen. I can not remember something as in depth as this "boost of ego" and more bull to feed the sheep. When people start to see Obongo for what he really is (like the increased troops to the Middle East, the "stimulus" bill, and the federal takeover of banks and automobile companies) and they come out with this piece of garbage to comfort the general population. Wow how can someone not see right through this propaganda

Come on people it doesn't take X-ray glasses to see this guy for the snake in the grass he is.

Don't follow him down this dangerous path because there will be a point where no U turns will be allowed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join