It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you knew the end was coming, what would you do?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
This is why religion is so important! Not God, but religion. In this situation, the law of the land is useless. There is no punitive repercussion to fear.

I would rape and pillage like a rabid viking!

OK, maybe I wouldn't because I believe their is an afterlife of some kind, BUT I would really, really want to! And, if I am ever convinced that Athiests are correct, I will no longer be a civil human being. What is the point!

Whether or not the end comes in 2 years or 80, if you don't believe in an afterlife, why not get all the jollies you can handle now! The only thing stopping total chaos from people like me is this perpetrated myth of something to be good for.

Sadly, I am not ashamed of this feeling. If we are evolved from animals, and there is no intelligent design, universal life force, all-powerful God, then I have wasted a lot of years not taking whatever I want without regret.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by getreadyalready]

Sorry mate, you've a right to your opinion and way of looking at the world of course, but i have to say, that is one of the stupidest, selfish things i think i've ever read!

Why on earth do you think, that just becasue you are not religious or don't believe in a god of some sort, that let's you off being humane? OK, we as humans fall into the animal of animal, vegetable or mineral, but that's no excuse to behave in an animalistic way, and ignore the traits that make us uniquely human. What about compassion? What about empathy? What about kindness and generocity? These are human emotions and qualities, NOT religious ones.

There's infinately more to being a decent human being that praying to a deity or living within the contect of a religion.

How about being the best person you can be for the last year or two?

How about spending close times with loved ones?

Sheesh.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
To be honest this would never happen, if you knew then the majority of the population would know and the world would go up in flames. The underclasses would rise as the risk of life imprisonment would be out of the window and civilisation would fall simple as that. As regards to the raping and pilaging I believe there is someting after life and a point to all of this so it is not the first notion I would have, to be honest I only resort to violence when pushed to the limit and try not to kill anything including spiders, which my girlfriend hates
, so I would probably try to protect my friends and family from the social turmoil and enjoy the time I had left,

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I would surly get rid of the j-o-b..

Don't know what I would do leading up to the day.. family, friends and music I guess..

On the day it is going to hit, I would go skydiving (the most freedom one could ever feel IMO) without a parachute..

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
tell the world to en mass build electrogravitic super craft and save as many as possible, hoping there are other races that could guide us to a new home.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by getreadyalready

"I would rape and pillage like a rabid viking! "?? this really shows your character, and will remember this on every future post you ever make.

He is being honest at least. Do you think everyone will want to hold hands and sing "We are one..." as the world ends before them?

As for me: I will climb to the top of the highest glacier, grip my sword between my hands and shove it into the ice below me.

When the ice shards start to hit my face, I will have only one thought running through my mind:
"For Honour. Destiny Awaits."

[edit on 4/6/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by blind.face

On the day it is going to hit, I would go skydiving (the most freedom one could ever feel IMO) without a parachute..

LOL! Though wouldn't it kinda suck to hear Jesus say "Oh...I forgot to carry the Y" just before you crash into the ground?

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I'm not sure living out your avatar is the best way to go, but I will be abiding.

___DO NOT CROSS THE SECOND LINE____

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
THank you all for making this thread hit front page, that makes me happy to know our community is active on thought provoking questions other than conspiracy theories.
After hearing all the answers, I see most people on here, with the exception of a few hellions that only wanna rape and pillage, would want to spend the last days with friends and family, and doing things you have wanted to do but never have.
The point I'm getting to is simple, why aren't you out there doing this stuff now. You know the end is coming, everyone does, whether it be tommorrow, a year from now, or fifty years from now, inevitably, humans die. That is a sad fact to our existence.
Currently I have enrolled in skydiving lessons, being as it is one of the things on my bucket list. I'm only 24 but it's never too early to start workin on the bucket list. I don't know if next year there will be a mass extinction event, or if in 2012 the end will come, but I do know, next year I could be hit by a bus.
So start living as if today is your last, take every chance, climb every mountain, let your family and friends know you love them.
Cause we all do know, unfortunately, with our Govt, tomm is never promised and today could quite possibly be our last.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by skeetontheconspiracy

I understand your point, but the total economic collapse(which would happen if we were told of an expiration date of our species) has not happened yet. Thus, if it did, one would likely do things different than
just being in a "recession."

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by wclv13

I understand your point, but the total economic collapse(which would happen if we were told of an expiration date of our species) has not happened yet. Thus, if it did, one would likely do things different than
just being in a "recession."

That is true, but don't forget that people die every day while waiting for something better to come along. It shouldn't take a major event to make you mend fences, spend time with family, and visit the places you always wanted to go. Skydiving with no parachute can wait until the last moment though!

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

With your examples, yes, one should do that now. But others said they would "run to the hills" or like me pretty much be a vagabond/scavenger till the day came.

If you live every day like you are going to die tommorow then by all means enjoy the good things in life like family and such. But ya still gotta go to work and do day to day things to keep a semblance of responsibility.

If everyone ran to the hills, quit their job, etc today, then that would just result in a self fullfilled prophecy, as society as we know it would collapse.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
If I knew the end was coming...and it was inevitable and beyond my control to prevent...then I would:

1.) Tell my family how much I love them, leaving nothing to be assumed, or any hard feelings left not apologized for or forgiven.

2.) I would spend the rest of my time on Earth creating a Time Capsule of sorts, packing in as much of the knowledge of Humankind in it, and burying it a mountain and building a monument on top of it in many different languages, so that if anyone discovers it after we are gone, who we were will not be lost for all time.

So yeah, I wouldn't be mowing my lawn or going to work if the end was impending and inevitable.

However, if "the end" was just a prophecy I wouldn't change my lifestyle any...but if NASA showed pictures of an approaching Level 6 TTLO I would.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Guys when the end really does come you'll remember that guy that got on ATS to specifically warn people that time is running short and God is a God of patience but enough is enough. It's like we're living on stolen time.

The End of the World. Listen to that phrase. It's a concept we have. The Beginning of the world. The End of the World. All things must end but what people don't get is afterward Jesus will come because they will have learned. Then He will come at that right moment and stop everything and we rebuild and the Messianic Kingdom will be set up. It's a literal future event vs when you die you go to heaven. I can't believe how many people believe that. That view is actually unscriptural. The Church teaches this so they don't have to teach end time prophecy instead.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Preferably, I'ld climb a high mountain with a woman that I love and we will lie in each others arms, watching the show unfold, while drinking a bottle of wine. (Climb a mountain, because it would be a p***-take if it were cloudy on that day!)

As I am single and know the impossibility of the above story, here a slightly unromantic, but more likely story:

Absolute chaos would break out, with rape, rioting and looting...
I would take a couple of days off until the 'hangover' kicks in and then continue my job as a lorry driver, possibly volunteering to the government, because many business will shut down due to lack of workers. The government will try to get as many 'volunteers' to help keep an infrastructure, but I imagine that the system will completely collapse and TPTB won't be able to control the masses with soldiers or even control their soldiers anymore.

Then it's just a short waiting game until the food runs out, taps dry, electricity goes out, sewage sites overflow, factories leak and the rivers and lakes get polluted.
People will die of starvation and sickness, pandemics will spread like wildfires and long before 'The Day The Asteroid Missed' most of the 'first and second world countries' will be depopulated....

As for me, my character won't change. I'll still try to be honest and loving until I go.
Why? Because that's the way I am. I couldn't give a damn if there is an afterlife (there probably is) or not. I am me and I'll stay me! I don't want to live or die with regrets!

Samuel

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Aldolas]
EDIT, REEDIT to tweek the story: I don't believe I'm spending so much time on this post!

[edit on 4-6-2009 by Aldolas]

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

As for me: I will climb to the top of the highest glacier, grip my sword between my hands and shove it into the ice below me.

When the ice shards start to hit my face, I will have only one thought running through my mind:
"For Honour. Destiny Awaits."

? you play too much WoW, while you are there find a nice cave to stay in while the destruction happens.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I would build a spacecraft and get the heck out of here

Alien Mind

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I would probably sell all my worldly possessions, and ,then, I would go out and spend the money. My first stop would be my favorite pizza parlor. I would shake the hands of all the employees and tell them how much I have appreciated their service over the years. Later, I would visit a museum and would try to appreciate all the achievements humanity has accomplished. Lastly, I would go to my church and confess my sins. Then, I would just sit there thinking about my life.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Reply to post by fraterormus

Your thought reminded me of something but i just can't remember exactly what it is....
Oh yeah.... the Sphinx...
CUrious if some guy during the last cycle had the same idea.
makes you wonder what's truly under that paw Egypt won't let us dig under, but that's a whole nother thread

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

I promise you.. anything you think you may think about skydiving doesn't even come close.. I for one, know that I will never feel as free as I do during the time of free fall. Maybe one day we shall do a jump or two together before we die.. whenever that may be.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
To be quite honest, the end is coming. All life on Earth will erased. The planet will boil away to nothing with the expanse of the sun as it enters its final age and becomes a red giant.
Humanity, if it has managed to get off this rock will have infected (and I do mean that word quite correctly) other star systems and, hopefully, will survive this period.

In the end though, the universe has 1 of 2 possibilities:
Total expansion leaving nothing more than atoms floating in the expanding vacuum of space
Collapsing in on itself crush and destroying all that has ever been.

So in the end with these last two options, life is but a futile spit in the face of fate.

Should we kill ourselves knowing that everything we see and know is futile?
No.

Knowing that we only have a finite period of time, we should embrace life even more. Love it, suck the life from it, celebrate it. Every minute you spend away from the TV or computer is another minute of life.

I'm off to play with my kids.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join