It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you knew the end was coming, what would you do?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by spiracy
reply to post by getreadyalready

Well that brings up a good point. Since all atheists believe that there is no afterlife, why not act like the world is going to end in the next 50 or so years. For atheists the world ends as soon as they die so why don't they all live like it?

Supposedly I guess, because they fear man's laws. For people on this site, that are typically repulsed by the inundation of laws, if they are also Athiest, I don't know what keeps them civil.

Maybe I am weak-minded, or evil at heart, but I would go buck-wild if it was only man that I had to fear. I don't really think our police force could figure me out or catch me if they did, so their laws are not what keep me civil!

This attitude really puzzles me. Is it common for Christians to feel they could not behave decently without the threat of hell hanging over their heads?

There are many non-Christians who will behave decently simply because they are decent people possessing empathy. I certainly don't need to fear god or the law in order to refrain from doing harm. I simply like to help people and be nice to them.

If you have empathy it hurts you to see another person hurt.
And it brings joy to see another person happy.

[edit on 3/6/09 by Kailassa]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Don't condemn all Christians because of me. I never said I was a Christian, just that I believe in an afterlife. I don't know if that is Heaven, Reincarnation, Spiritual Elevation, or otherwise. I think most people that call themselves Christians don't realize what that means. They are accepting Christ as the "Only" way to salvation and condemning everyone else to hell, Muslim's believe similarly as do other religions, and that is their fundamental flaw.

I think it is great that people honestly do good for one another just because they enjoy it. My statement was for pure Atheists, the ones that believe you live 50 or 80 or 100 years and then die, and nothing at all survives. With that short-sighted belief, I don't understand the point of empathy to strangers, life-long commitments, wasting those limited years in a mundane job, or spending a lifetime getting educated, or perfecting an art, or anything else.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

Well that brings up a good point. Since all atheists believe that there is no afterlife, why not act like the world is going to end in the next 50 or so years. For atheists the world ends as soon as they die so why don't they all live like it?

because we're atheists, not idiots.

Oh and to answer the question:

I would probably indulge in lots of hot sex with my lovely lady friend. Beats rioting / praying.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I was not trying to imply that atheists had no morals. It was just for me i think i will have a life after death for you the world has ended when you are dead.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Regardless of the catastrophe, there are always survivors. Fate, preparation, being in the right place at the right time, or any number of variables, some always survive.

Odd though.

Those survivors are usually those who did the most anticipation, analysis, planning, and hard work.

You partially make your own luck.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
"With that short-sighted belief, I don't understand the point of empathy to strangers, life-long commitments, wasting those limited years in a mundane job, or spending a lifetime getting educated, or perfecting an art, or anything else."
so getreadyalready claims why atheist would want to show empathy to strangers, get educated, etc.
As an atheist, the reason why I do all those things is because I simply feel like it. I don't see a reason why NOT to treat others with respect and enjoy life. Many atheist follow the rules of their nations so as not to cause grievances to others for the simple reason that we don't see why we would want to get in trouble. since we think this is the only life we get, why waste it away and live uncomfortably in jail or annoying others when we can simply enjoy life by getting the most out of it and getting along with our fellow human beings?
in fact, we atheist might enjoy life a bit more than a Christian or any other religious person because we don't expect an afterlife. We try to get the most out of every moment of our existence.
If the world is going to come to an end, I will not go and change to any religion. In fact I might use that opportunity to have a little fun and tell some religious people that their god is going to kill us all because he hates us. It would be fun to see their expressions at such an evil comment.
but afterwards, of course, I will tell them to spend their time with friends and family and enjoy their last moments instead of wasting time praying for some magical entity.
So, to conclude, many atheist simply prefer to live in peace with other humans because we see no reason to treat them like animals. I don't believe in Karma by the way, so it might seem even more strange why i would help others and not go out there and rape/steal/kill. There really is no reason to destroy and make some else uncomfortable, I know i would not like to get treated like crap. so why not treat them like i would treat myself?
I hope this clears some things up and actually makes sense.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I was not trying to imply that atheists had no morals. It was just for me i think i will have a life after death for you the world has ended when you are dead.

Why shouldn't atheists have an afterlife?

Unless of course you suggest that believing in God is the only path to an after-life?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

well i was always under the impression that atheists do not believe in all that spiritual stuff.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

well i was always under the impression that atheists do not believe in all that spiritual stuff.

Atheism is the disbelief in God, not the disbelief in reincarnation or an after life or whatever.

Buddists are technically atheists and yet remain very spiritual people.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Me too. And my question was genuine, not meant to be disparaging at all. Thank you for the answers. I suppose if someone finds enjoyment in those things, then their time is well spent. I totally understand that point of view, although I don't totally grasp it, because of my own shortcomings.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

i stand corrected

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
No problem at all.

As i say i think it's possble to be spiritual, moral and ethically sound, whilst not leaning towards any religious belief or order.

Some people are of the belief that atheists are nasty, selfish people (and don't get me wrong, some probably are)... But some just choose not to be bogged down with religious doctrine and can still live a wonderful, caring life.*

But ultimately, i ask:

Who is more moral?

The guy who acts good because religion tells them that they will be punished in the after-life if they act bad?

The guy who acts good because religion tells them they will be rewarded in the after-life?

Or the guy who acts good just because it's the nicer thing to do and doesn't care/believe about reward/punishment.

I consider myself the latter of the three.... But i don't disregard anybody's belief. Although i do worry about those who only act good because the bible or koran tell them too.

--

* Yet hardcore muslims / christians will still say these types of atheists will go to hell, simply for not believing (which in my books is as good as ANY reason not to believe in a religion that would punish a man just for not believing).

[edit on 3-6-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
If I knew the world was ending...

... I would stand very still.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Probably nothing different. Our lives can end on any day, and so what is the difference between that and the end of the world? Same result is it not? And we all know that our lives can end at any time. So I honestly fail to see why people make such a big deal about the "end of the world". The end of the world for you will be the day you die.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

* Yet hardcore muslims / christians will still say these types of atheists will go to hell, simply for not believing (which in my books is as good as ANY reason not to believe in a religion that would punish a man just for not believing).

As I said this is the fatal flaw with most religions, they are exclusive. Buddhism and other spiritual enlightenment types not included. Most decent human beings should see a problem with excluding the billions of other souls from their view of heaven.

I thought as an "Atheist" you did not believe in any higher god, power, realm, etc.? By your definition, I would probably be an atheist as well, but I have never considered myself one.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I'd prepare to die of course, well, I've done that everyday since I was 8-

But... really don't recall when or where or if or how I died within all of the numerous places and activities. Currently I am retracing the minutest fraction of my steps... creepy.

I'd kill bad guys without thought-and rob the dead peoples food. Pillfer where needed-help where I can when it is accepted-and attempt to endure in isolation awaiting a palatable fix. Like now-but for the killing and robbing part.

Death will be just another day-another death. This is my longest running lifetime so far.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by HugmyRek
I'd kill bad guys without thought-and rob the dead peoples food.

Just how exactly would you define a 'bad guy'? Somebody with different opinions of yours?

Surely killing without thought would make YOU the bad guy? As it suggests a lack of guilt and consciousness.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I think that I would continue with my job as it's important and other people count on me. Then a few days before the world was to end I'd call in the mothership to take me and my family away.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
If I knew the end was nigh, I'd raid a liqour store, find the highest place in my vicinity and drink, smoke and rock out while the world burned around me.

Or probably post a thread on here saying "OMG TEH ENDZ OF TEH WURLDZ!!!!!"

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
2 Years??? Ouch.

Um sounds weak but I would try too enjoy every single second i had left.. If I found myself doing something I wasn't enjoying I would quit doing it.. I would definitly quit my job.. I think most people would. Which would make anything you do tough because nobody would show up to work so the world would come to a stand still pretty fast.. Those last few weeks..days..hours...minutes..seconds would be awful..
I remember speaking to a women I knew who had terminal cancer. I asked what she appreciates most now.. She said "her children.& taking a walk while the sun sets..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join