It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rearranging the Furniture Compulsion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I've been curious about people who rearrange their furniture very often. I've been in some homes where the furniture is never, ever moved for any reason. Then I've been in other homes where someone is always rearranging the furniture. My mother rearranged our furniture weekly. I'd come home from school and nothing would be where it was when I left in the morning.

It does not really bother me, I just wondered what causes people to move stuff around all the time. I do it too, mostly when I'm bored or upset. I think it might be a stress reliever.

Could rearranging the furniture be a sign of mental illness? Or is it some kind of strange environmental habit passed down from generation to generation? Are habitual rearrangers very creative people?

What do you think?

Compulsive Furniture Rearranging

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

When I was younger -my bedroom furniture was a weekly game of Tetris.

These days, I'm heavily into Black Hat Feng Shue, and I find it a wonderful meditative process, theraputic on several levels, and a wonderful way to keep up with my personal evolution.

Changes come and go when the time is suitable, but I remember when it was an obsession of comfort and creativity.

When you spend the majority of your time in your "private sanctuary" - change is always good once in a while.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES

These days, I'm heavily into Black Hat Feng Shue, and I find it a wonderful meditative process, theraputic on several levels, and a wonderful way to keep up with my personal evolution.

Changes come and go when the time is suitable, but I remember when it was an obsession of comfort and creativity.

When you spend the majority of your time in your "private sanctuary" - change is always good once in a while.
lmao. I call it Rubiks Cubing. I need, and I mean NEED change in my environment. I thought it was because I moved so much as a Navy brat and child of divorces.. But I think, yes I am creative and obsessed with the home atmosphere, that it is a control of energy in my environment. I control it to suit my moods and needs. It gives me a fresh perspective. Like a new pair of underwear.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES

Cool, Black Hat Feng Shue. Never heard of it but am definitely interested. Thanks for the intriguing tip!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I tied red ribbons on my pipes and rearranged my house according to Feng Shui once but that didn't last long either...
but the red ribbons are still there.

oh and when I designed my patio, I did it with curvy lines instead of straight lines.. so it influenced me...

[edit on 3-6-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I used to rearrange my furniture all the time. I used to wonder why I did it, and then realized it just gave me a new perspective on my environment and mood. It helps you see things differently. Later on I went to school to study Interior Design, and now I move things around and space plan for other people.

There is something very therapeutic and cathartic about making changes in your living space - and rearranging furniture is free! I highly recommend it!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tadarida
I used to rearrange my furniture all the time. I used to wonder why I did it, and then realized it just gave me a new perspective on my environment and mood. It helps you see things differently. Later on I went to school to study Interior Design, and now I move things around and space plan for other people.

There is something very therapeutic and cathartic about making changes in your living space - and rearranging furniture is free! I highly recommend it!

My husband came from a family that never moved anything, ever! Now he runs to the drive-thru for ten minutes and comes back to find everything somewhere else. Thank goodness he has lots of patience and a sense of humor.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Yeah, it's funny you mention that... I grew up in a house where nothing was ever, ever moved. I dealt with that by moving stuff around in my bedroom all the time. It felt like such freedom as a kid to be able to change things, and it is a good lesson - things can change with a little effort!

Glad your husband is patient and doesnt mind what you move around!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
My mother has this. I swear growing up, all our furniture in the house would move every week. And to this day, she still does it in her house
Didnt realize it was a "compulsion". Might have to send this to my dad

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
My problem with my problem is that I never really get everything put away from the last time.. there are always stragglers...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
That's when it's time to de-clutter and throw some things out! That's my advice! It will help your brain get decluttered too... like a mental tune up or like defragging your computer!

[edit on 6/3/2009 by Tadarida]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I say that I do it to clean under the funiture. Thats only partly true though because I could put things back where they were once the "cleaning" is done. What does your dad say about your mom changing things every week? Does it bother you or him?

So far from these replies, it seems like rearranging the furniture is a good thing!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tadarida
That's when it's time to de-clutter and throw some things out! That's my advice! It will help your brain get decluttered too... like a mental tune up or like defragging your computer!

[edit on 6/3/2009 by Tadarida]
I HAVE!! omg if you saw the number of bags I threw out this year. I should know the guys names at Goodwill and I had a yard sale.
It's more that I get uninspired to finish the project.. and start a new one before I finished the old one.
BTW is repainting involved with you guys in this process? I repaint so often.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

I just realized you said you are a Navy Brat. LOL, I'm an Air Force Brat. Is there a trend?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It IS good... see? Especially on a budget!

www.allthingsfrugal.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I say that I do it to clean under the funiture. Thats only partly true though because I could put things back where they were once the "cleaning" is done. What does your dad say about your mom changing things every week? Does it bother you or him?

So far from these replies, it seems like rearranging the furniture is a good thing!
I have said the same thing. I won't usually clean under the couch and things until I do change it around. So it is actually true albeit also an excuse if need be.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
reply to post by seagrass

I just realized you said you are a Navy Brat. LOL, I'm an Air Force Brat. Is there a trend?
I know I loved moving to new homes and new places... Might fill that feeling somehow?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Tadarida

That was a great article. I had no idea that so many people did this. I thought I was a closet junkie or there might be something wrong with me. After reading this and all the replies I feel sooooo much better. I've been smiling...thanks everyone!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

I love this -

it's part of the whole subject of the psychology of space/place

I have always loved moving - used to move about every 18 months

I always end up leaving things in a complete state of chaos for months longer than necessary

I liked sitting on the floor - having most of my useful belongings consist of my bowl, my spoon - my toothbrush...

there's something about all the furniture being in a place that's set - and all those places being perpendicular to each other - drives me a little crazy

I just recently was redoing a bunch of stuff around here - and had the stove pulled into the middle of the kitchen so I could work behind it

I decided I liked it like that - and lived with it there about 3-4 months :-)

it drove me crazy - it wasn't convenient - at all - but I still just liked it there

if anyone has any kind of an explanation for this behavior - I would really appreciate it

even if it's something I don't really want to hear

:-)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Good one? I think maybe, that it could be more like ... trying to put the pieces back to gether the right way>not right< rather? the way they used to be or simaler to what limited resources we have to work with maybe? ReHaB

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join