It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Earth a large or small world?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I think in area, it's relatively small (only like 150 million square miles of surface), but in complexity it's very large, and probably unmatched for tens of light years.

There are so many things we don't know about this planet, even though our craft fly around it every day. It's amazing the countless cultures, animals, plants, objects, and history of this planet.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
i think its more like a medium in size xD

but then again you are right about how much we have discovered. just think of the oceans , if we would have explored 20% of them it would be much.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I agree with Karpator. If you can't be large or small, stick with medium!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Thie may give you an idea of where we stand in the vastness of space

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The simple answer: Small

The long answer: is too long to write right now :p

But really there is no answer until we have mapped every corner of space.

Who knows, Planets the size of golf balls might the norm somewhere in the universize, with people and all.

Im not claiming that by the way just showing how we really dont know much about the greater universe.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I watched a very interesting documentary last night called Journey to the Edge of the Universe, a discovery channel documentary. You should be able to find it on the internet. I would recommend this to everyone who hasn't seen it, it will give you a greater understanding of our solar system, galaxy, universe. It goes for about 90 minutes, and explores the universe starting from Earth in a single shot.

Anyway, after watching that, Earth is definitely small
. In the movie they had also found one planet which looks very similar to earth, and is the same distance away from its similar sized sun which is pretty interesting.

Its truly amazing the size of this universe.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The Earth is only small when compared to Gas Giants in our Solar System.

For us, of course....it's like what Goldilocks found...just right!

But, that's because we evolved here.

It is interesting to speculate on just how much larger a rocky planet can be. AND what lifeforms might develop on it, given the right conditions of starlight and environment.

For instance, at what point does the increased gravity inhibit the evolution of higher life? So many things to ponder.

From a purely existential standpoint, however -- if you want to discuss it philosophically, then the 'world' is growing progressively smaller. We should learn to understand that, if we wish to survive and prosper as a species.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Statistically speaking, if you mean to compare the Earth to all the other planets that could exist within the Universe, I would come to the conclusion it is very small.

Now if we are talking life supporting, terra-forming planets, Earth is probably a very rare gem.

Our solar system isn't really a good gage of that, because yes we do have much bigger planets like Jupiter, but they aren't made of the same stuff. So we must rely on our other "hard" matter planets such as Mars or Mercury.

Those aren't very good to look at either, since they are barren and dont' support any life, as well as our limited capability of viewing and documenting their various landscapes, atmospheres and relics.

I guess we will found out soon enough, once the planet finder thingy gets into full swing, we should find some massive planets like Earth.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

I had to laugh at that video you posted!!

Tatooine, and the DeathStar! Priceless.

I like this one, too:

(the objects are round -- really! just distorted. needs HD version?)

[edit on 6/13/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Statistically speaking, if you mean to compare the Earth to all the other planets that could exist within the Universe, I would come to the conclusion it is very small.

Now if we are talking life supporting, terra-forming planets, Earth is probably a very rare gem.

Our solar system isn't really a good gage of that, because yes we do have much bigger planets like Jupiter, but they aren't made of the same stuff. So we must rely on our other "hard" matter planets such as Mars or Mercury.

Those aren't very good to look at either, since they are barren and dont' support any life, as well as our limited capability of viewing and documenting their various landscapes, atmospheres and relics.

I guess we will found out soon enough, once the planet finder thingy gets into full swing, we should find some massive planets like Earth.

~Keeper

I guess it's all relative eh?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I thought the deathstar comparison was awesome as well, obviously a Star Wars fan was involved in that production.

Your video is a bit like the one I posted, in that some of the comparisons are similiar.

It just makes you wonder how life can develop, like the organisms that live in the extreme heat of thermal vents in the ocean. I could imagine a creature that would be very short withincredible muscle structure- due to great gravity - and an incredible tolerance to the enviroment.

Though it would seem like we have developed an extreme tolerance to our enviroment when they view us in comparison.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
In comparison to the known Universe Earth would be about the equivalent to the size of a Atom, and even thats being generous.

top topics

join